Folding Tiller

jddevel

Featured Posts

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know where to find a tiller hinge in stainless rather than brass?  Pretty much everything else on the boat is chrome or stainless, so for the look of the thing, I'd prefer to avoid brass.  I have searched the web and can't find any alternative material.  Makes you wonder how many people make these things.

1 hour ago, CapitalD said:

Does anyone know where to find a tiller hinge in stainless rather than brass?  Pretty much everything else on the boat is chrome or stainless, so for the look of the thing, I'd prefer to avoid brass.  I have searched the web and can't find any alternative material.  Makes you wonder how many people make these things.

I have seen chrome plated brass ones. Some friends liked their folding tiller so much that when they sold the boat they kept it and mounted it on the living room wall of the house. Doubt there is more than one or two people making these at once. The market must be tiny. If not currently available you could buy a brass one, dismantle it and get it chrome plated.

Jen

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Part number T007 stainless folding tiller.

http://www.procastnotts.com/www.procastnotts.coms/info.php?p=25

Yes, I found that one, but the hinge unit is brass.  The good folk at P.R.O. Cast say that chrome plating would flake off pretty quickly, so they can't see the point.  I have to say that I agree with that,  Chrome plating on bits that rub gets quite manky.

37 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Do the hinges become loose over time, whereby you'd feel a slight wiggle when moving from side to side?

Yes

I have just taken two lump hammers to mine to reshape.  I don't think it will last to long but feels tighter now. It also sags a  bit and the threads for the screw have gone. Brass is a soft metal.

1 minute ago, WhiteSuit said:

Yes

I have just taken two lump hammers to mine to reshape.  I don't think it will last to long but feels tighter now. It also sags a  bit and the threads for the screw have gone. Brass is a soft metal.

How long did it last before loosening?

Honestly don't know it was with the boat when we bought it. I liked it but the wiggle got increasingly annoying then I started rapping my knuckles on he cabin top. Found a non folding one buried under the  bed and swapped over about 3 years ago. I have just tried my repair so although it now feels tight it's not been used in anger yet.

1 hour ago, CapitalD said:

The good folk at P.R.O. Cast say that chrome plating would flake off pretty quickly, so they can't see the point.  I have to say that I agree with that,  Chrome plating on bits that rub gets quite manky.

Chrome plating correctly done does not 'flake off'. 

It might wear off though, or peel off if the underlying workpiece is bent or distorted after the plating is applied. 

1 hour ago, WhiteSuit said:

Honestly don't know it was with the boat when we bought it. I liked it but the wiggle got increasingly annoying then I started rapping my knuckles on he cabin top. Found a non folding one buried under the  bed and swapped over about 3 years ago. I have just tried my repair so although it now feels tight it's not been used in anger yet.

We have one that allowed the end of the tiller to foul the hatch coaming.  My cure was drill the bearing surface of the hinge and put a screw in, which prevents the tiller going fully horizontal. 

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Chrome plating correctly done does not 'flake off'. 

It might wear off though, or peel off if the underlying workpiece is bent or distorted after the plating is applied. 

That may be true for a while, but my experience is that any scratch (or other imperfection) that allows water to get onto the base metal will cause corrosion and separation of the two metals.  Basically it seems that the contact layer is a vulnerable area prone to breakdown.