APRICOT

pete harrison

Featured Posts

I am steadily working my way through my transcript of Grand Union Canal traffic records, I think being the Lock Keepers record of boats passing Braunston or Buckby locks dated 12 October 1961 to 10 January 1964 (my transcript currently ends at 31 March 1963 as that is as far as I could get in the three days I allowed so a return visit will be required). Unfortunately and as was common practice only motor's are listed and this is a very interesting document.

One boat has caught my attention, APRICOT, passing north on 19 November 1962 at 17:45. APRICOT is noted "(BWM = sold)" which I believe to mean "(British Waterways Motor = sold)". It was very common at this time for boats being sold by 'British Waterways' to be renamed as their original identity was not a part of the sale, and this is detailed quite clearly on period Tender Forms.

The question is what is the true identity of APRICOT :captain:

I believe it was my boat the Capricorn.  As you say a condition of sale by BW at the time was that the name of the boat be changed and Kay Seymour-Walker, the first private owner told me he temporarily chose Apricot as it only required a few strokes of the paintbrush to change it!  However you had previously told me that the BW disposal date was 1964 so obviously this creates a discrepancy!  After being shortened at Charity Dock, the boat emerged as The Poot.

Paul

7 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I believe it was my boat the Capricorn. The first private owner told me he temporarily chose Apricot as it only required a few strokes of the paintbrush to change it!

Very clever of him.

A peach of an idea, as you might say.

59 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I believe it was my boat the Capricorn.  As you say a condition of sale by BW at the time was that the name of the boat be changed and Kay Seymour-Walker, the first private owner told me he temporarily chose Apricot as it only required a few strokes of the paintbrush to change it!  However you had previously told me that the BW disposal date was 1964 so obviously this creates a discrepancy!  After being shortened at Charity Dock, the boat emerged as The Poot.

Paul

I do have the 'British Waterways' disposal date as 1964, provided by the owner of THE POOT to Alan Elyard Brown when at Birmingham on 26/27 July 1969 - and this will be the date I supplied.

I also have the 'British Waterways' tender form that includes CAPRICORN (laying at Gayton Yard with a National engine), and although the part I have is undated it is clearly from 1962 or 1963. It would appear that the clever renaming as APRICOT and it being captured on the Braunston / Buckby traffic record helps to tighten things up considerably for both of us :captain:

Mr Seymour-Walker also told me that he acquired the boat in 1964 but as his log says he took the boat away from Charity Dock in April 1965 having had the boat shortened, recabinned and externally painted this would seem unlikely.  I think the reputation of CHarity was that nothing was done in a hurry and boats sat around for at least a year before work even started.  Also there was no BW Cardex records for 1962 and 1963 pertaining to Capricorn.  So I would say 1962 is a more realistic date for his acquisition.  Incidentallly the boat was lying at Gayton and cost him  £250

Paul

4 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Mr Seymour-Walker also told me that he acquired the boat in 1964 but as his log says he took the boat away from Charity Dock in April 1965 having had the boat shortened, recabinned and externally painted this would seem unlikely.  I think the reputation of CHarity was that nothing was done in a hurry and boats sat around for at least a year before work even started.  Also there was no BW Cardex records for 1962 and 1963 pertaining to Capricorn.  So I would say 1962 is a more realistic date for his acquisition.  Incidentallly the boat was lying at Gayton and cost him  £250

Paul

Every day is a school day - thanks Paul :captain:

I delivered a part load of lock gate metal  work split between Hartshill & Gayton IIRC August of 62 & Capricorn was laying at Gayton yard then in the usual BW state Uncared for,Tired, & Neglected I remember it had a paper on the cabin side assume it  was the disposal notice Looking back through my work note book it could have been April 62 as I did that trip twice