Blowers Green

pearley

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tuscan said:

You are right the original plans were rejected (quite sensibly IMO) on highways grounds and according to the parish council variations remain under review. It is still CRTs intention to redevelop if they can obtain appropriate planning I believe. 

Yes, I'm sure it is, but as you said "are gone" it kind of implied that a decision had been taken.

I can see that from CRT's viewpoint a site like Bulbourne works presents real difficulties.

The buildings now need a fortune spent to restore them, and it is simply not possible to charge enough for letting them as small business premises to recoup the cost of the work necessary.

My fear is that they will either start to fall down, (or maybe even burn down, as other have done), and then there will be nothing left there to argue about.

It is not a site suitable for residential use, or at least not at the housing densities necessary to make it a sound investment.

I can't start to guess what the final outcome might be, but without shed-loads of money from somewhere it is unlikely to be a good one.

the decision to dispose of it obviously has been taken. It would not surprise me if a smaller number of higher priced properties were built. 

CRT is meant to be about preserving the canal heritage the original  housing proposal obviously didn’t do this. Like you I don’t have the answer just st a hope that there  is a chance of some light development which still captures the essence of the place. After all CRTs new focus is all about attracting people and ‘wellness’. Footbridge and cafe/environmental centre. Youth hostel style accommodation . 

13 hours ago, Tuscan said:

the decision to dispose of it obviously has been taken. It would not surprise me if a smaller number of higher priced properties were built. 

CRT is meant to be about preserving the canal heritage the original  housing proposal obviously didn’t do this. Like you I don’t have the answer just st a hope that there  is a chance of some light development which still captures the essence of the place. After all CRTs new focus is all about attracting people and ‘wellness’. Footbridge and cafe/environmental centre. Youth hostel style accommodation . 

Do we know whether the pump house is listed? If it is - and I'd be surprised if not - then some of the fears are diminished, if not eliminated.

10 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Do we know whether the pump house is listed? If it is - and I'd be surprised if not - then some of the fears are diminished, if not eliminated.

It doesn't appear to be listed according to the Historic England website. Nothing in the vicinity of the Parkhead end of the tunnel is listed.

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Apparently the IWA is claiming victory in having campaigned to stop the sale of this, nothing to do with the BCNS or all other parties from here and elsewhere. which forwarded objections.

Maybe they should all claim victory, if just one had tried they would probably fail, all deserve the same praise if they were successful 

38 minutes ago, pearley said:

Just wish I'd claimed copyright on my photo, the number of places if appeared! 

Im just glad you were stuck up the BCN for winter Pete, otherwise nobody would have known about it and CRT would probably have got away with it.