CRT Licence Auto Renew

frangar

Featured Posts

Latest Boaters Update from CRT says:

In the introduction I talked about making plans for the year ahead. It can be a daunting task with so many things to consider. One thing you can cross off the list is renewing your boat licence. As mentioned last May, your boat licence will be automatically renewed if you’ve stored your payment details in your licensing account when first making an application for a licence.

Amanda Crosland, business support & licensing manager, explains: “At the end of an application boaters’ have the option to store their card details. If they do, or have elected to pay by direct debit, then they’ll receive a renewal reminder six weeks before the licence is due to expire. This will confirm that the licence will auto-renew and detail how to cancel it if, for some reason, they don’t want it to. Boaters’ don’t have to wait until renewal time comes around though, they can opt in or out at any time either via their licensing account or by calling customer services on 0303 040 4040.”

In other words, all boaters have the option to accept their own responsibility to pay their licence fees on time. I have no patience with moaners who want "them" to hold their hand in any transaction. If CRT has cocked up in the past, OK, they should compensate anybody who has lost out, but do let's move on ...  

I go on line between Christmas and New Year every year, and pay my licence with a debit card. If or when it becomes free, I'll probably use a credit card instead, as I do for house insurance, car insurance, car licence etc.  

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Don't store your card details then.

It'll expire in a year or few anyway.

I’m not entirely sure I consciously did that if I’m honest. I’ve worked on enough cyber crime conferences to know that’s a daft idea. I guess there was a box I did or didn’t check at the time. 

43 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Latest Boaters Update from CRT says:

In the introduction I talked about making plans for the year ahead. It can be a daunting task with so many things to consider. One thing you can cross off the list is renewing your boat licence. As mentioned last May, your boat licence will be automatically renewed if you’ve stored your payment details in your licensing account when first making an application for a licence.

Amanda Crosland, business support & licensing manager, explains: “At the end of an application boaters’ have the option to store their card details. If they do, or have elected to pay by direct debit, then they’ll receive a renewal reminder six weeks before the licence is due to expire. This will confirm that the licence will auto-renew and detail how to cancel it if, for some reason, they don’t want it to. Boaters’ don’t have to wait until renewal time comes around though, they can opt in or out at any time either via their licensing account or by calling customer services on 0303 040 4040.”

Sorry. Didn’t see your post!! 

I got my email saying that my license had been renewed by direct debit before Christmas but the money has still not gone from my account?

If you leave your card details the expiry date is irrelevant . The company will still take the money out providing the account is still current. 

10 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

But you cannot insist that the creditor accepts cash - and, in any case, there are limits on what cash represents legal tender, as I recall. ie you cannot deliver a sackful of pennies and require someone to accept them. Cash is, for a business, one of the more expensive ways of obtaining payment.

Capture.JPG

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Capture.JPG

But that statement only refers to an established contractual debt. Increasingly, businesses, especially internet based ones, are specifying what means of payment they will accept and if you proceed to buy from them then you have to accept those conditions.

As it happens, because of fraud via ebay, people are sometimes being advised only to handover a valuable item in person and in exchange for an immediately usable payment (either cash or a verified bank draft/transfer) that cannot be reversed once the recipient is around the corner and in possession of said item.

Although there is some snobbishness about developments like bitcoin, saying that they are not 'real' money, in fact most of us, most of the time, only operate with a set of digits stored on a computer systems somewhere out there in the ether. Before long, it seems to me highly likely that money = cash will cease to even be a dream. Talk to very young people (like the Listening Project did yesterday) and see how they view the world without smartphones etc etc etc.

I had the notification of auto renewal late in November for Jan 1st renewal. I had recently been sent a new card so I phoned CART to let then know. The person at the end of the line said they already knew my new card details.

Do banks give this info out to anybody I have traded with or is it some special arrangement?

On 1/12/2018 at 17:39, Machpoint005 said:

In other words, all boaters have the option to accept their own responsibility to pay their licence fees on time. I have no patience with moaners who want "them" to hold their hand in any transaction. If CRT has cocked up in the past, OK, they should compensate anybody who has lost out, but do let's move on ...  

I go on line between Christmas and New Year every year, and pay my licence with a debit card. If or when it becomes free, I'll probably use a credit card instead, as I do for house insurance, car insurance, car licence etc.  

I pay mine through the marina owner he might as well get a bit of cash out of it [good will for me as well :)] He also looks at the insurance and bsc as well so at least I know both are in date

• 1 month later...

Morning

Just got my auto renewal email, 'thank you for purchasing you licence blah de blah de blah.....'. Out of interest I clicked on the linky to check everthing and found that the price they have charged me for a 12 month licence is not the amount that is in their published list of fees on their website which they say is valid from April 1st 2017 to March 30th 2018. The years fee they have charged (£910.20) does not even appear on the list. Just wondering if any one else has had any issues? I have of course emailed to query it.

7 minutes ago, Sweeny Todd said:

Morning

Just got my auto renewal email, 'thank you for purchasing you licence blah de blah de blah.....'. Out of interest I clicked on the linky to check everthing and found that the price they have charged me for a 12 month licence is not the amount that is in their published list of fees on their website which they say is valid from April 1st 2017 to March 30th 2018. The years fee they have charged (£910.20) does not even appear on the list. Just wondering if any one else has had any issues? I have of course emailed to query it.

I am going to assume your licence runs from 1st April 2018.

They didn't publish the 2018-2019 fees while they were deciding what to do on the licencing review, but did announce last October that the fees were going up 3%.

I queried this a few weeks ago, and they said they would publish the list soon.