Middle levels

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, I have bought my first gold license as I want to cruise the Thames again after my first taste last year. So have splashed out and want to make the most of it.

My current plan is to go onto EA waters up towards Cambridge, around April and do all those waters, b4 returning to the Thames about June

.My question is ,can anyone advise on that part of the waterways(nene etc)

,is there anything I can read as regards best time to visit.Is there any keys needed, or windlasses, or clubs to join.Any info greatfully recieved.

Its worth joining friends of the nene. They have some nice moorings spots, and its only a tenner iirc. 

http://www.friendsoftherivernene.co.uk/

You will need an abloy type key to operate the guillotine locks and water points on the Nene.

Worth checking out this for stoppages:-

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulseparovicea?lang=en

Stanground lock keeper (Tina) liked 48hrs notice , but will accept 24.

Call Paul at Salters load before you get there.

Some info here on the Gt Ouse

https://www.goba.org.uk/

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

For the Nene, and Gt Ouse, you will need an EA Abloy key.  It is used to at the locks to secure paddles and the control box on the guillotine gates.  For the ML, you will need an ML Yale key and a special windlass, both of which they will sell to you at Stanground (£17 for the two I think).

On the Nene particularly between Northampton and Wellingborough there are very few moorings, in fact it is the only time we have payed to stay overnight in a marina when out cruising (White Mills marina and Northampton marina).  I joined the friends of the river Nene at the time and we used their moorings 4 times.

Edited by john6767
  • Happy 1

19 minutes ago, Timx said:

My current plan is to go onto EA waters up towards Cambridge, around April and do all those waters, b4 returning to the Thames about June

Just be aware that a Gold or EA licence won't take you all the way to Cambridge. For that you need a separate (expensive) licence from the Cam Conservators.

• Happy 1

42 minutes ago, john6767 said:

On the Nene particularly between Northampton and Wellingborough there are very few moorings, in fact it is the only time we have payed to stay overnight in a marina when out cruising (White Mills marina and Northampton marina).  I joined the friends of the river Nene at the time and we used their moorings 4 times.

We did the same during our 2016 cruise,staying at those marinas. Also joined the Friends and stayed on two of their moorings.

Wow great answers thank you, all of which I was unaware, glad I asked and will look at all those things mentioned. Amazed I will have to pay extra again for river cam, might give it a miss then if it's too pricey on top. Thanks again for info very helpful.

7 hours ago, Timx said:

Wow great answers thank you, all of which I was unaware, glad I asked and will look at all those things mentioned. Amazed I will have to pay extra again for river cam, might give it a miss then if it's too pricey on top. Thanks again for info very helpful.

I think others have reported a v good bus service between St Ives (I think) and Cambridge. From what I hear despite the high cost of the Cam license mooring in Cambridge is not always easy so the bus or train from a local town makes sense. I trust a local will be along soon to put me right.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think others have reported a v good bus service between St Ives (I think) and Cambridge. 

Yes, it's the Guided Busway which provides a frequent and (in my limited experience) excellent service. Journey time from St. Ives to central Cambridge about 40 minutes, several buses per hour.

There are few locks on the Middle Level; I think Ashline is the only self-op one. Marmont Priory in Upwell has a lock keeper. But note that there are equally few "facilities": the only sanny station is in March, on the left immediately before the town bridge. There are moorings immediately beyond the bridge which are convenient for the town (Sainsbury's six or seven minutes' walk, banks, Boots' etc.). Stock up in March, as there are no more big shops on the route.

Upwell has a mini-market, two butchers, a fish & chip shop and moorings by the Globe pub and by the church. Note that the Five Bells pub & restaurant by the church is currently closed. There's also a public staithe (= landing stage) at the basin just before the sharp bend at Outwell which also has small shops and a pub. Nordelph has a staithe but NO shops or pub.

One other thing to note on the ML is the low bridges, particularly if you deviate from the main through route.  We went to Ramsey, then down the 16 ft drain, an interesting opportunity to go in a dead straight line for 3 hours!

The navigation maps including bridge heights are here https://middlelevel.gov.uk/navigation/maps/

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

Just be aware that a Gold or EA licence won't take you all the way to Cambridge. For that you need a separate (expensive) licence from the Cam Conservators.

In 2015 it was £28 for our 58 ft boat. This gives you 90 days of access. They don't have to be consequtive. I believe there is a new GOBA mooring at Baits Bite Lock. 

Guided bus from St Ives is great but only 48 hours mooring in St Ives. If you have a bus pass then from Huntingdon or Godmanchester where you can moor for longer. Then you can go guided bus in one direction and X3 back to see more of the countryside. 

Knowing the area well (our son lives at GMC) I wrote this a few years ago. 

https://livingonanarrowboat.co.uk/narrowboat-forum/cruising-guides/the-anglian-navigations-a-roundup-and-update/

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

22 minutes ago, john6767 said:

One other thing to note on the ML is the low bridges, particularly if you deviate from the main through route.  We went to Ramsey, then down the 16 ft drain, an interesting opportunity to go in a dead straight line for 3 hours!

The navigation maps including bridge heights are here https://middlelevel.gov.uk/navigation/maps/

Good information, thanks. You are obviously a  "glass half full" man.

3 minutes ago, pearley said:

In 2015 it was £28 for our 58 ft boat. This gives you 90 days of access. They don't have to be consequtive. I believe there is a new GOBA mooring at Baits Bite Lock. 

Guided bus from St Ives is great but only 48 hours mooring in St Ives. If you have a bus pass then from Huntingdon or Godmanchester where you can moor for longer. Then you can go guided bus in one direction and X3 back to see more of the countryside. 

Knowing the area well (our son lives at GMC) I wrote this a few years ago. 

https://livingonanarrowboat.co.uk/narrowboat-forum/cruising-guides/the-anglian-navigations-a-roundup-and-update/

More good information, thanks - but be aware that the links at the end of your piece don't work.

Lots of great info there, thank you all who replied. I wanted to get up to Cambridge for a few days and also to go to Newmarket races, I see the license is about £27 so I might chance getting a mooring. All the info has been very helpful and I can look further into it thanks again.

16 minutes ago, artleknock said:

The bridges are not that low, you don't hit your head if you crouch down a bit :lol:

They are the lowest I have come across so far, I don't think we would get under ones much lower.  On 16 ft drain

6EF6C339-CE6C-4DC6-B6CE-ACE980C0D16B.png.344c8499d6fcc9fd1e677f7859c3973e.png

4 hours ago, Athy said:

There are few locks on the Middle Level; I think Ashline is the only self-op one. Marmont Priory in Upwell has a lock keeper.

Lodes End Lock?  Yes, it's off the beaten track, but worth exploring beyond.  Isn't Marmont Priory now self-operated - I think Marjorie retired.

Edited to add a pic of Lodes End Lock.  You need a ML key to get into the fortress.

Lodes End Lock.jpg

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

31 minutes ago, john6767 said:

They are the lowest I have come across so far, I don't think we would get under ones much lower.  On 16 ft drain

And if you go up the Great Ouse to Bedford there are some low bridges too.

Below Bedford Town Lock:

Ouse45.JPG

And the railway bridges in Bedford:

Ouse48.JPG

41 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Lodes End Lock?  Yes, it's off the beaten track, but worth exploring beyond.  Isn't Marmont Priory now self-operated - I think Marjorie retired.

Edited to add a pic of Lodes End Lock.  You need a ML key to get into the fortress.

Lodes End Lock.jpg

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I was referring only to the "main line".

Not sure about Marmont Priory, as we no longer have a boat at home.

6 hours ago, john6767 said:

I stopped under that one once when single handing from Three Holes back to Ramsey. There was a howling crosswind (there's always a howling crosswind...) and I stood no chance of mooring against the upwind bank. I'd have got on the downwind bank OK, but I'd never have got off it again. Under that bridge with the centre rope around one of the columns was the only way to get some lunch and have a pee.

MP.

22 hours ago, sueb said:

Pedant alert. It is only one level hence Middle Level. Enjoy it's a lovely area.

No. Middle Levels. The North Levels are to the north of the Nene. The Middle Levels are between the the Nene and the Ouse or 100ft drain. The south levels are south of the Ouse.

MP.

• Haha 1