Eberspacher won't fire up!

RichM

Featured Posts

My Eberspacher D5WSC won't fire up at as of this evening. It spends about 10 minutes going through start up procedure and gets to the point where I can hear the fuel pump clicking and then shortly shuts down after about 10 minutes. It does have enough fuel in the tank but given it's freezing outside at the moment, is it possible the fuel line may have frozen? I thought red diesel has anti-freeze properties so I'm not certain.

Rich

Welcome to the world of the finicky Eberbaztards. I tend to find that several restarts will get it running for the full 60 minutes. .... newer models do this far more than old ones.

Your diesel will not be freezing at these temp unless you are currently moored in the NE USA, far more likely to be an air bubble or far too sensitive sensor kicking in too early.

Try bleeding the black screw on top of the unit, first thing I try amongst a list about 3 feet long. 

Have you looked at / can find / is there - a filter??

(My mikuni has its filter and pump in a tube) . Its an item that gets forgotten - I had the same situation a while ag, 'cos I'd forgotten about the filter. The unit would run for a while and then stopped..... 

If the fuel dosing pump is clicking then the next step (as I understand it ) is the glow pin activates & you get the whoosh sound as it fires up . If that isn't happening then my first thought would be re voltage . As suggested above- try again with the engine running . 

My ebers generally well behaved (D4wsc ) but occasionally fails to fire up . I often find that it starts fine next attempt despite my doing nothing. Weird . 

If it continues to fail to start it may well be in need of a service including cleaning the wire gauze that sits around the glow pin & to clean out / replace the tiny filter of the dosing  pump . The pump is located inside the heater unit if so .

first try with engine running I think 

Is the Glow Plug working, carefully feel the outside of the Glowplug housing to see if it is hot!!

If not, unscrew the terminal nut on top of the glow plug, remove wires & unscrew glow plug from housing. Check glow plug, if they fail then it is usually a broken heater wire.

Obtain another correct model glow plug & refit.

Tony

On 07/01/2018 at 19:36, AllanD said:

Low battery voltage is another possibility.  Have you tried to get it while the engine is running, charging?

Agreed. Ours won't start unless the batteries are well charged. Starting the engine usually persuades it to spring into action.

Thanks all. The boat is connected via shoreline at present so is kept charged via a AC Sterling charger and the batteries read OK, exhaust is clear. Now it doesn't even try to start at all, makes a 1-2 second thud sound and then nothing...

Unfortunately some of the troubleshooting suggestions mean getting down into the engine bay but unfortunately I don't have enough daylight hours this side of the weekend, so I've got a local engineer coming out tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Rich