Pubs owned by the CRT

Heartland

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Depends on the deal with CaRT

:(

I guess you need to understand what the current company has been making a loss for the last 15 years, and see it anything can be changed to reverse that.  You would have thougth the existing company would have tried everything over that time, but perhaps not.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

I guess you need to understand what the current company has been making a loss for the last 15 years, and see it anything can be changed to reverse that.  You would have thougth the existing company would have tried everything over that time, but perhaps not.

With the right deal with CaRT I can make a go of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Ray T said:

Waterways owning pubs is not new. The Punch Bowl at Tuttle Hill by the Coventry Canal at Nuneaton was part owned by Waterways and Judkins Quarry Co.

It was demolished in late 1950.

????

The Punch Bowl on Tuttle Hill was still trading until about 5 years ago. Last ownership was Charles Wells brewery. It’s now a Dominos Pizza outlet. It’s still standing. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

????

The Punch Bowl on Tuttle Hill was still trading until about 5 years ago. Last ownership was Charles Wells brewery. It’s now a Dominos Pizza outlet. It’s still standing. 

This Punch Bowl, not the one which is now a pizza parlour. It was at the bottom of Tuttle Hill beside the canal. Oxford Tommy was born there in 1908.

Punch Bowl 1950.JPG

The Punch Bowl3.JPG

Edited by Ray T

On th ewhole, the Punch Bowl was a far more attractive building, and not only because it was a pub!

I see that Mount Judd still looms in the background and has now grown itself some greenery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/05/2018 at 13:06, Athy said:

On th ewhole, the Punch Bowl was a far more attractive building, and not only because it was a pub!

I see that Mount Judd still looms in the background and has now grown itself some greenery.

Thread resurrection to point out that Mount Judd is now officially the top visitor attraction in the UK. It beats that rusty angel in the north and those crumbling stones in the south west by miles...

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/big-ben-angel-north-no-14639381

Traditional pubs closing is simply because they have had their day.

Within 20 miles of where I live Marstons have, over the last couple of years built and opened or developed 4 sites none of which fit the 'traditional' concept of the beer drinkers pub with sticky carpets and grumpy bad tempered landlords.

They cater for a more family oriented clientele, provide play areas for the kids (yes kids!) and serve food at affordable prices to jo public who are not looking to eat cordon bleu.

Wetherspoons have a couple of locals too.

The local pub in our village that has struggled for years finally closed this year and is scheduled for demolition next month. The one in the next village was demolished last month.

Changing times.

Oh and @WotEver the angel is supposed to be rusty.

Edited by MJG

6 hours ago, MJG said:

Oh and @WotEver the angel is supposed to be rusty.

I know. And Stonehenge is supposed to be crumbling. And the Elizabeth Tower is supposed to be tall. But Mount Judd still won... :D

14 hours ago, WotEver said:

Thread resurrection to point out that Mount Judd is now officially the top visitor attraction in the UK. It beats that rusty angel in the north and those crumbling stones in the south west by miles...

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/big-ben-angel-north-no-14639381

Pranksters put a Mini on top of Mount Judd last year. Maybe that enhanced it's fame.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/stern-warning-issued-after-mount-13722652

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Pranksters put a Mini on top of Mount Judd last year.

I know, I saw it. I shall deny all knowledge of the lads who did it ;)

Someone used to put a cross on top at Easter too.