Diesel heating 5kw new for £163

bigcol

Featured Posts

To be fair -

Diesel heaters  , regardless of make, may be prone to sooting up if run extensively on a low setting. 

I do allow my heater  to run on a low setting but give it a good blast on full power for perhaps 10 to 20 minutes before turning it off.

Also I try to use the heater at least once a month even in the warmer months  - which is not much of a challenge in the UK.

I have only three and  a half years experience with my Eberspacher as my previous boat had no fixed heating. However using the above procedures I have not had any heater issues , so far , says he touching wood.         The boat is 14 years old and I expect the heater was factory fitted when the boat was new.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Diesel heaters  , regardless of make, may be prone to sooting up if run extensively on a low setting. 

Just the same with diesel engined cars. Drive them consistently for short journeys where they don’t get fully hot and you’ll get a DPF Full message. Take the car for a 20 minute run down a dual carriageway and it burns all the soot off. 

21 hours ago, WotEver said:

Plus, according to Rachel, it makes a huge difference to efficiency if the ducting pipes are well lagged, which I guess makes it even harder. 

Depends on the size of ducting. For 80mm and above you can buy prelagged ducting. Ours is only 60mm so we had to buy separate lagging.  Still not a difficult job though and makes a huge difference.

The air coming out of our outlets now is too hot to hold your hand in front of, before it was comfortable to hold your hand in front of and this is on a short run if ducting.

We know of several people who have fitted the Planar units and are happy with them. We chose to repair our existing Webasto unit for the same price as buying a new Planar though. Decided it was better the devil we know!

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

To be fair -

I do allow my heater  to run on a low setting but give it a good blast on full power for perhaps 10 to 20 minutes before turning it off.

Also I try to use the heater at least once a month even in the warmer months  - which is not much of a challenge in the UK.

I have only three and  a half years experience with my Eberspacher as my previous boat had no fixed heating. However using the above procedures I have not had any heater issues , so far , says he touching wood.         The boat is 14 years old and I expect the heater was factory fitted when the boat was new.

Our diesel heating on Naughty-Cal was fitted at the factory in 2003 so 15 years ago.  Last year was the first time it had been touched. It needed a decoke and a new fan unit. We also replaced the burner tube and glow plug while it was in bits. It is always run flat out which we suspect is why it has never been troublesome. 

People who have oversized units and don't run them flat out are the ones who tend to have issues. It does also seem that the Ebersplutters seem to be a bit more temperamental then the Webasto units.

Ok nervously said

ordered and paid for  £171 and I am purchasing a Planer 5kw

a very large saving on the planar uk site heater being the same.

yes a cheap copy of the espacher unit 

will let forum members know how we get on

fingers crossed

Estimated delivery Tuesday, 23. Jan 2018 Friday, 23. Feb 2018
5000W Air Diesel Heater PLANAR 12V LCD Schalter for Car Truck Motor-Homes Boats

5000W Air Diesel Heater PLANAR 12V LCD Schalter for Car Truck Motor-Homes Boats

Item price £ 171.00
Quantity 1
Item number 382284558277
Delivery service Economy Delivery from outside UK

Edited by bigcol

Hi Pete

they have claim it is a genuine Planar, direct reom the same manufacture 

thats is what I thought, but if yo YouTube, not a bad word about them

used in America for boats and caravan/ motorhomes

it seems that it’s planar webcasto and eberspacher 

is the norm 

Of course if it’s not, plays up etc I have the protection of eBay and PayPal 

1. Here are the correct prices for Planar Heaters, much higher than the advert PlanarHeaters UK
  2. If they come from Russia then why does the label on the Ebay advert photo use all Chinese writing
  3. Why ship Russian item from China, Hong Kong.

I would bet more than 5p that these are not genuine Planar Heaters.

Wonder if PlanarHeaters Uk have seen these on Ebay

Edited by reg

In the murky world of sales there is a concept called 'buying the price'. 

This is when the potential buyer is blown away by a price so stupidly low that s/he sets aside all common sense and just buys the item regardless, and is said to be 'buying the price'. 

I think this might be happening here. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

7 hours ago, reg said:
  1. Here are the correct prices for Planar Heaters, much higher than the advert PlanarHeaters UK
  2. If they come from Russia then why does the label on the Ebay advert photo use all Chinese writing
  3. Why ship Russian item from China, Hong Kong.

I would bet more than 5p that these are not genuine Planar Heaters.

Wonder if PlanarHeaters Uk have seen these on Ebay

I bet these heaters are made in China, and planar uk buys then in

no do I think Russia makes them but buys them in

same go’s for most things today

i don’t believe that there is any company in Uk making diesel boat heaters at all

2 hours ago, bigcol said:

I bet these heaters are made in China, and planar uk buys then in

no do I think Russia makes them but buys them in

same go’s for most things today

i don’t believe that there is any company in Uk making diesel boat heaters at all

It's a possibility but I might just let others take the gamble before I would commit to purchasing one. 

I have sent Planar uk heaters the following email

Your form message has been successfully sent. 

You have entered the following data: 

Name:
xxxxxxxxxx

E-mail address:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Telephone:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please can you tell me where these heaters are made please.
Do you make them your selves
Ist the warrentee with your selves as am really interested in buying one from you. I was looking at eberspacher made in Germany but there twice the price just wondered where these are made and to confirm the warrentee is with your selves Thankyou 
Edited by magpie patrick
to remove personal details

2 hours ago, bigcol said:
2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Col - I suggest you remove you personal details (phone number and email address)

Thankyou Alan many thanks for letting me know and yes I would like to take the personal  details off, but where’s the edit button  please
ive manage to copy and post ww this post again, didn’t intend to but no edit buton

any help would be apreciated

thank  you in advance
Please can you tell me where these heaters are made please.
Do you make them your selves
Ist the warrentee with your selves as am really interested in buying one from you. I was looking at eberspacher made in Germany but there twice the price just wondered where these are made and to confirm the warrentee is with your selves Thankyou 

There is a edit button on this post, but is it the edit button is there for a while, then comes off after the post has been left for so long?

Edited by bigcol

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Col - I suggest you remove you personal details (phone number and email address)

13 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Can mods do this for me please just my personal details

thank you Alan for looking out for me and others from Less desirables 

Now removed (unless they are quoted somewhere else I haven,t noticed)

This is a email in reply to my last email to 

Planar heaters UK

http://www.planarheaters.co.uk/

Hello, these heaters are made in Samar Russia. They are top quality and have a 2 year europe wide warranty from the factory which I support in the UK. I do any repairs required and deal with the factory directly so you only have to deal with me. Not that we have any problems with them if installed correctly. 

With Regards
Owen N. Cox

Edited by bigcol
To include whole email
  • Happy 1

8 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Planar heaters UK

Hello, these heaters are made in Samar Russia. They are top quality and have a 2 year europe wide warranty from the factory which I support in the UK. I do any repairs required and deal with the factory directly so you only have to deal with me. Not that we have any problems with them if installed correctly. 

So it would be fairly safe to conclude that the Ebay Chinese items may not be the genuine Planar article. Whilst this comes as a great shock to me I would  be happy for them to prove me and maybe trading standards that I am wrong. 

Edited by reg

7 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Planar heaters UK

http://www.planarheaters.co.uk/

With Regards
Owen N. Cox

That's good to know, but the ebay link says they are despatched from Hong Kong.

You will have to pay import duty & VAT on it when it arrives so that will push the price up by over £40

3 hours ago, bigcol said:

Not that we have any problems with them if installed correctly. 

Translation:

”we get plenty of guarantee claims but we are very good at finding reasons to blame the installer”.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Interfering spell chucker

Interesting discussion on ybw forum

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?456487-Planar-diesel-heater-from-Russia-like-Eberspacher-anyone-used-one

And here

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?456259-Boat-heating/page3&highlight=planar

The UK distributor is a member on the ybw and answers a few questions

Also the manufacturer is on the threads, here is a relevant quote from msg 38 on the second thread

"The manufacturer does not sell its products outside the Russian Federation though e-trading platforms like Ebay, Amazon and others. We have a dealer in the UK www.planarheaters.co.uk." 

I might be tempted at some point to try the UK Planar heater but I am far from tempted by the Ebay Chinese version. 

Edited by reg