Diesel heating 5kw new for £163

bigcol

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, alvicchas1 said:

Amazing price but I think I would be concerned abouty safety approval accreditation and spare parts.

Interesting comment, given the fifth photo in the listing shows the heater apparently engulfed in flames!!!!

s-l1600.jpg

I can’t beleive how this hasn’t been pounded on??

amazing giveaway price for a complete kit

the bits are worth more than that, let alone the heater.

if I think I needed one, if I wanted mine serviced I would buy this as a spare unit.

in fact I may buy one just for the crack

col

Hi Mike 

yes I saw this, but I don’t know what else they could put in the background

Snow?

Naked woman?

yep naked woman would have been better.  Brrrrrrrr but hot in here!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bigcol said:

I can’t beleive how this hasn’t been pounded on??

amazing giveaway price for a complete kit

the bits are worth more than that, let alone the heater.

if I think I needed one, if I wanted mine serviced I would buy this as a spare unit.

in fact I may buy one just for the crack

col

One of the ways they make it so cheap is by having no form of control. It just runs flat out all the time.

Webastos and other more expensive air heaters are controlled a room thermostat.

You need to google Planar heaters

you will find that planar sell these through known company’s   Ie pf Jones plus

ifmyou go to the manufacturer is seems they come from the Russian federation.

and these will not be covered by their warrentee if inside Europe.

but if buy on eBay PayPal you would have some security.

col

Just now, bigcol said:

You need to google Planar heaters

you will find that planar sell these through known company’s   Ie pf Jones plus

if you go to the manufacturer is seems they come from the Russian federation.

and these will not be covered by their warrentee if inside Europe.

but if buy on eBay PayPal you would have some security.

col

Edited by bigcol

I've been looking at these too, the stats are actually quite impressive, but as others have said the lack of safety approval is slightly concerning, as is this article:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sailmagazine.com/.amp/cruising/voe-a-faulty-heater-nearly-leads-to-tragedy

Although the cause of their issues was largely poor installation rather than an inherent fault.

I see the listing also states import duty 'may' be payable. 

I just had to pay nine quid import duty on an ebay item costing £70, dispatched from China. So perhaps £20 will need to be paid to get one of these heaters through customs in addition to the purchase price.

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I see the listing also states import duty 'may' be payable. 

I just had to pay nine quid import duty on an ebay item costing £70, dispatched from China. So perhaps £20 will need to be paid to get one of these heaters through customs in addition to the purchase price.

If you only paid the duty you got away lightly - items with a declared value of over £15 are subject to VAT in addition to any Duty payable.

It was a bit of a shock when I purchased an expensive camera from the USA - it turned out to not be such a bargain as I had hoped.

Edit to add link :

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/International-customs-charges-leaflet-Jan-2017.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

How are these air heaters installed? I assume the combustion unit goes into the engine room somewhere and then the air is somehow ducted into the cabin? It's that bit that I don't understand. For a cruiser style NB would you just cut a hole in the bulkhead and have a fitting coming through? I can see these heaters being suitable for smaller GRP and steel cruisers but would the heat get down the length of a NB by convection - or are you meant to install a series of ducts? In that case the installation sounds a bit more difficult. 

I have a set of redundant radiators on my boat which I used to heat with an eberspacher. I was thinking of installing a Webasto (water heater) as a replacement which I suppose would be easier than installing an air heater?

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

How are these air heaters installed? I assume the combustion unit goes into the engine room somewhere and then the air is somehow ducted into the cabin? It's that bit that I don't understand. For a cruiser style NB would you just cut a hole in the bulkhead and have a fitting coming through? I can see these heaters being suitable for smaller GRP and steel cruisers but would the heat get down the length of a NB by convection - or are you meant to install a series of ducts? In that case the installation sounds a bit more difficult. 

Plus, according to Rachel, it makes a huge difference to efficiency if the ducting pipes are well lagged, which I guess makes it even harder. 

As far as I make out the heater dosent come with a controller, but is as the same as a ebespacher

so works exactly the same.

all you need is more ducting, and a hull fitting for exaulst and your away.

but again this is a 5kw It is important to mention this price is for a 5Kw heater

Not 1.9 kw  2 kw or the 4 kw sized Webasto or eberspacher

again for 177 pounds you get in grey with a controller.

i think it’s a bargain I think

well worth the try 

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I have a set of redundant radiators on my boat which I used to heat with an eberspacher. I was thinking of installing a Webasto (water heater) as a replacement which I suppose would be easier than installing an air heater?

Yes - you have a duct(s) running the length of the boat(under the floor ?), you then have 'skirting board' vents that can be opened/closed as required branching off the duct.

We have 6 outlets running of our blown-air heating system.

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Plus, according to Rachel, it makes a huge difference to efficiency if the ducting pipes are well lagged, which I guess makes it even harder. 

Be had this heating for years, the ducting dosent need lagging as the whole point is that it provides heat simpler to a fire flue.

i have  a eberspacher, and somthing simpler in size to this planar unit is a  airtronic 4kw is lots of money

i beleive this is a real bargain, we haven’t heard of these because they are sold with in the east.

col

Edited by bigcol

Well  I’ve put a offer in

You've submitted an offer: £167.00 for 12V 5000W LCD Monito... (202160706811)

this is one the same but grey with a controller 

hopefully offer gets accepted if not I just buy the one at the start of posting.

what ever I do I will get one, and when I do, will let you know if and how it works.

col

37 minutes ago, blackrose said:

You would have a few outlets on any boat - My 33ft cruiser  has three outlets (Eberspacher 4kW heater) and all within 10 feet or so from the heater.

On bigger cruisers there may be two heaters. 

The heater on my cruiser is located under the saloon floor so the heat loss from the metal ducting is not wasted since the heat rises into the living spaces. The floor becomes nicely warm. My air supply is via the cockpit area so bringing in external air. The input air may be from the boat interior but this risks condensation - such as when you recirculate air with a car heater.

The very cheap heater from China ,seems to be an incomplete kit - not a marine kit and virtually no ducting. It is a copy of a Russian made Planar  heater which is in itself a copy of Eberspacher/Webasto type heater. The genuine Planar heaters are available in the UK .

https://www.planarheaters.co.uk/4kw-diesel-air-heater/

Edited by MartynG

I had a Webasto air heater in a campervan. There were two controllers - one a thermostat for temperature and one a programmable time clock.

Every time the heater flashes up the glow plug heats up to start the combustion process and this can draw perhaps 20 amps from the battery.

It is important that the thermostat is sited in a place without drafts so that the heater does not keep cycling on and off and running the battery down too much - it was sometimes a problem in the campervan but should not be too much of a problem with greater battery capacity on a boat.

If a 5kw heater is used to heat too small a space there could also be a problem with the heater cycling on and off too much.

Looks like the Planar heater has a low heat setting, but running it too long on low may cause it to soot up:

(The comments are worth a read too)

However the one in the OP doesn't look like the planar one, but there's at least a couple of videos on it:

Again the comments are worth a read.

Maybe the read and black one is a fake of the planar which is a fake of the eberspacher. :)

Edited by smileypete

1 hour ago, smileypete said:

Maybe the read and black one is a fake of the planar which is a fake of the eberspacher.

Well Martyn reckoned so when he wrote...

7 hours ago, MartynG said:

It is a copy of a Russian made Planar  heater which is in itself a copy of Eberspacher/Webasto type heater.