Cassette Toilets!!?....Not 'IF' but 'Which One'!?

The Grumpy Triker

Featured Posts

The dometic offerings are possibly the tallest and less flimsy when compared to the Thetford types. Another bonus is a ceramic bowl. Also rear access to remove the cassette unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

:D Don't do yourself down ....I work with computers but can't find a wa to get a diagram in here :wacko:

If you draw a long line of 120cm along the bottom, left side up 50cm then turn right angles to the right for 60cm then turn right angles up for 30cm then turn right angles to the right for 65cm (in this corner is a small narrow sink) then turn right angles downwards to meet the original line.

The left side is the main boat corridor and doorway into the loo - the bottom right corner was where the loo was gong to go (ideally diagonally but doubtful now). The right side is the window and the bottom line is the dividing wall to my bedroom with wardrobe immediately backing onto it.....hope that all makes sense :)

Given what you and Kev have said I could set it into the bottom right corner on an angle with some extra edging to make it look a bit more permanent and not an abandoned loo, but also enable a swivel function on the base so that I can get to the back.

....although we're now back to the battens Viking :D

.....or it could be a Porta Potty.....not sure why but I envisage these to be the chemical toilet style and would worry about leaving them with chemicals in but out of use....no idea why I couldn't get around this but!?

2 minutes ago, BWM said:

The dometic offerings are possibly the tallest and less flimsy when compared to the Thetford types. Another bonus is a ceramic bowl. Also rear access to remove the cassette unfortunately. 

Thanks BWM - again, can these be set as freestanding i.e. not cemented to the wall so that I could swing it out to remove the cassette?

I don't mind having a base that can be movable .....so long as I remember to fix it back in when in normal use :D

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Have a look at Porta Potti Excellence. About 2 inches higher than the others. 

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/thetford-porta-potti-excellence-p195514

Sorry missed this one - thanks Pearly

.....is it a standard Elsan experience as per cassettes for the emptying or?...

11 minutes ago, BWM said:

Wasn't sure what 'Dometic' meant being honest

Edited by The Grumpy Triker
Missed Text & wrong place

14 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Given what you and Kev have said I could set it into the bottom right corner on an angle with some extra edging to make it look a bit more permanent and not an abandoned loo, but also enable a swivel function on the base so that I can get to the back.

....although we're now back to the battens Viking :D

.....or it could be a Porta Potty.....not sure why but I envisage these to be the chemical toilet style and would worry about leaving them with chemicals in but out of use....no idea why I couldn't get around this but!?

Thanks BWM - again, can these be set as freestanding i.e. not cemented to the wall so that I could swing it out to remove the cassette?

I don't mind having a base that can be movable .....so long as I remember to fix it back in when in normal use :D

They are designed to be fitted to a bulkhead and need the extra strength, as their construction is fairly light. One way round this would be to mount the back onto a piece of 3/4" ply with a cut out for cassette removal, and possibly some thinner ply underneath, to protect the base when sliding it in and out to change the cassette. I'm fairly sure that they offer one with an internal reservoir.

Dometic are the manufacturer of various marine equipment, their cookers are well ahead of the competition, imho. 

Edited by BWM

24 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Ahhh......so you don't have to seal it off to the wall for stability then, but could set it against the wall for use but without fixing it?....thus being able to move it and extract the cassette?

.....and it remains stable?.....when I have my occasional bump it won't start toppling over like some coming out of the pub on a New Year's Eve?

As mentioned, it is only a back up as I have the pump-out loo in the shower room space so it won't be used too often and will normally be clean and empty during my travels.

Yep, mine is free standing, not fixed to anything, and being a single handed boater, I also on occasions complete some quite hefty bumps!! As others have said, stand it wherever you want and twist the bowl so it is in a good position to use.

Kevin 

Ahhh......so you don't have to seal it off to the wall for stability then, but could set it against the wall for use but without fixing it?....thus being able to move it and extract the cassette?

.....and it remains stable?.....when I have my occasional bump it won't start toppling over like some coming out of the pub on a New Year's Eve?

As mentioned, it is only a back up as I have the pump-out loo in the shower room space so it won't be used too often and will normally be clean and empty during my travels.

Yep, mine is free standing, not fixed to anything, and being a single handed boater, I also on occasions complete some quite hefty bumps!! As others have said, stand it wherever you want and twist the bowl so it is in a good position to use.

Kevin 

Kevin 

6 minutes ago, BWM said:

They are designed to be fitted to a bulkhead and need the extra strength, as their construction is fairly light. One way round this would be to mount the back onto a piece of 3/4" ply with a cut out for cassette removal, and possibly some thinner ply underneath, to protect the base when sliding it in and out to change the cassette. I'm fairly sure that they offer one with an internal reservoir.

Dometic are the manufacturer of various marine equipment, their cookers are well ahead of the competition, imho. 

:cheers:

Some food for thought there and from others....am sure some other contributions tonight/tomorrow :)

Have to admit, have already bought a new hob with cooker/grill as didn't want  full height cooker as was the old one......trying to find a new 12v fridge of any decent size is another matter though.....sorry, off on a tangent there.

2 minutes ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Kevin 

Kevin 

Kevin 

:cheers:

55 minutes ago, BWM said:

I bought a dometic with the ceramic bowl it was rubbish.

A rough sketch of our layout, cassette is taken out through a hole cut in the bulkhead, this was the only space in the bathroom we could fit the toilet unit replacing the porta-potti the previous owners used.

Toilet.jpg.3a69626750a0d3ca37a2c752670df031.jpg

What doesn't seem to have been said in this discussion is that you have a choice between two types of toilet: The Thetford C200 back-to-the-wall type or a freestanding porta potti type.

The C200 type is designed to be installed in a caravan against the outside wall, so you withdraw the cassette from the outside, through a door provided for the purpose, and don't need to carry it through the living space. On a boat you don't have the option of doing that, so most folk install them against an internal partition, so that, usually, you withdraw the cassette from a corridor - but you could instead have it inside a wardrobe, or use a freestanding low level partition in the bathroom area.

A freestanding porta-potti type needs no specific installation, it just sits on the floor, and you remove the bottom half to empty it.

Thetford C200

C200-2.jpgc200-back-viewl.jpg

And porta potti type (this is a Fiamma brand)

Fiamma_Bi_Pot_Portable_Toilet%5B14%5D.jp

Or you can go much more basic with an Elsan Bristol

bristol1_.jpg

17 minutes ago, BWM said:

That doesn't match my experience, each to their own. 

Yes I should have sent it back but I used it for about a month then skipped it and the three expensive cassettes that all leaked. Its price was more than double the Thetford and I fancied the ceramic bowl as its a good selling point. Replaced with another faultless Thetford.

For anyone thinking of buying a Thetford C200, they have been around since the 1990s and were replaced last year by the more modern looking C223.

There seems to be plenty of old stock still on sale.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/midland chandlers/water and gas/toilets/cassettes.aspx

We have the new one and mechanically it seems much the same as the older ones we had in several motorhomes.

Are we failing to see the wood for the trees here?

If the OP's second loo is a 'backup' (not literally, we hope) why does it need to be in the room he is shrinking anyway? Might there be enough space to use the reserve free-standing porta potti (or whatever) in the main bathroom, in an emergency?

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

80 pounds cheaper at Caravan accessory shop including free delivery. Other sources are available. Don't you just love midland swindlers pricing structure :rolleyes:

80 squid cheaper? The whole thing is only worth around that much!

:)

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Sorry missed this one - thanks Pearly

.....is it a standard Elsan experience as per cassettes for the emptying or?...

Wasn't sure what 'Dometic' meant being honest

Yes, bowl and flush water tank separate from the holding tank. Gauges to show how much flush water remaining and how full holding tank is. Sort of flap on the right hand side to hold a toilet paper roll. When separated it reveals the emptying tube and a button to press when emptying to allow air in. 

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I should have sent it back but I used it for about a month then skipped it and the three expensive cassettes that all leaked. Its price was more than double the Thetford and I fancied the ceramic bowl as its a good selling point. Replaced with another faultless Thetford.

Ouch!

4 hours ago, Tuscan said:

This is a Dometic toilet that we partially dismantled and plumbed in. Cassette comes out the side.

D13BE05E-2E14-4358-BF28-AEACFF81783A.jpeg

Nicely done

4 hours ago, JamesFrance said:

For anyone thinking of buying a Thetford C200, they have been around since the 1990s and were replaced last year by the more modern looking C223.

There seems to be plenty of old stock still on sale.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/midland chandlers/water and gas/toilets/cassettes.aspx

We have the new one and mechanically it seems much the same as the older ones we had in several motorhomes.

Saw a C224 something or other for less than that ....newer style/version....think it was £339

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Are we failing to see the wood for the trees here?

If the OP's second loo is a 'backup' (not literally, we hope) why does it need to be in the room he is shrinking anyway? Might there be enough space to use the reserve free-standing porta potti (or whatever) in the main bathroom, in an emergency?

80 squid cheaper? The whole thing is only worth around that much!

:)

The newer small room is for the toilet but also to store stuff until an emergency or my kiddies come aboard....with 4 of us I found two loos more comfortable :D

....understand the idea and thanks but definitely want to keep the spare room, hence just making it as small as possible for function.

C224 is manual pump and non-plumbed in water so a real back-up but wondering if electric flush is better as have read about manual pumps failing due to impact point.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

80 pounds cheaper at Caravan accessory shop including free delivery. Other sources are available. Don't you just love midland swindlers pricing structure :rolleyes:

Know what you mean as the hob / cooker I got was £200 more expensive on the Chandlery site compared to where I bought it... lower price made it all the more appealing and just squeezed in under budget.

28 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Know what you mean as the hob / cooker I got was £200 more expensive on the Chandlery site compared to where I bought it... lower price made it all the more appealing and just squeezed in under budget.

Though some will argue with you I over my years of buying stuff including completely fitting a shell out from new in 99/2000 have been unable to find anywhere in the known universe as expensive as Swindlers. When they do their freaky Friday they are extracting the urine because it means usualy it brings their pricing down to what everyone else sells stuff at anyway. Just as a quick for instance bought a bit for my squirrell from shobnall yesterday for 36 quid it was 44 quid at swindlers.

Edited by mrsmelly

9 hours ago, BWM said:

You can get a Thetford with a ceramic bowl.

11 hours ago, MJG said:

You can get a Thetford with a ceramic bowl.

Just seen those, problem is that they are plumbed in and electric flush.

Maybe my back-up could be electric flush but want a safety net over water supply....but as I type that I think, it is going to be empty until needed and then if water is off then it will be bucket of water into the pan job, so no issue there either.

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Though some will argue with you I over my years of buying stuff including completely fitting a shell out from new in 99/2000 have been unable to find anywhere in the known universe as expensive as Swindlers. When they do their freaky Friday they are extracting the urine because it means usualy it brings their pricing down to what everyone else sells stuff at anyway. Just as a quick for instance bought a bit for my squirrell from shobnall yesterday for 36 quid it was 44 quid at swindlers.

Almost criminal. I nearly got caught by that Black Friday Sale but luckily had too much time on my hands that day as working away. Double checking, as per your comments, I found thT there sale price was almost exactly as per others....so I went with others even at £1.30 extra.....a so called £40-50 saving :huh:

• Happy 1

On 05/01/2018 at 10:57, The Grumpy Triker said:

=> Are there any major downsides to using them infrequently?

Yes. 

Aqua-kem doesn't work for longer than about a week. Other makes of 'blue' vary but they all stop working eventually and the contents of the bog stink. 

This is there reason I have been so heavily in favour of composting bogs and pump-outs on here over the years....

:giggles: