Cassette Toilets!!?....Not 'IF' but 'Which One'!?

The Grumpy Triker

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Before anyone gets all smug bout a 'Pump-Outer' converting to the 'Cassette Brigade' ...I'm converting the front loo from a second pump out to a back-up loo so trying to choose what to fit in there ad have to admit to being confused about the cassette toilet options, mainly due to my initial assumptions.

The space is being halved so that I can extend the galley but still have a reasonable amount of room and was looking at options in the cassette loo range so I will now join the Pump-Out & Cassette loo range owners....although I will always prefer the pump out I think :D

My first assumption was that they were all free-standing i.e. manual fill water tank and manual pump etc. so that should I run out of water and electric, I still had an option. Most of the offerings see to be a permanent fixture and fixed to a wall with a hatch in an internal wall through which you could pull out the cassette. The Thetford C200CW was one I found which suggested you could take out the cassette through the side but saw no visible example of this option and others were more of the fully plumbed and electrically linked options.

At the risk of starting a war between the cassette toilet owners and generating fun for the Pump-Outs who will undoubtedly lob a few verbal grenades in there :ninja:

==> Please could you offer me any pieces of advice about which type to go for and/or any pros / cons on your own choices?

I would prefer higher seated option due to hip trouble but there is room for the standard home style and for a bench style in the space I've allocated.

==> What do you do if you get caught with no electric and it is wired in?

==> Is a fan recommended?

==> I guess you can jus add water to the bowl from a bottle or other if the water pump/internal supply fails?

==> Are there any major downsides to using them infrequently? I'm a sole live-aboard and prefer the Pump-Out so it will only be used in emergencies or for large gatherings, so assuming that so long as I clean it out after these events and leave it clean, there should be no issues......possibly maintenance to stop seals drying out?

Am just about to block off the old pump out ad remove the macerator and bowl ....last steps before the front end rebuild starts, so really want to be sure I make an informed choice on what to fit in the space before I start putting all the walls back up.

Many thanks again in advance to any and all who give up their time to respond. :cheers:

You didn't mention composting toilets, missed opportunity there......:giggles: We have a pump out loo but do have a Porta Potti as back up, in case of being frozen in etc, its free standing, so may be something else for you to consider? 

Just now, Meanderingviking said:

You didn't mention composting toilets, missed opportunity there......:giggles: We have a pump out loo but do have a Porta Potti as back up, in case of being frozen in etc, its free standing, so may be something else for you to consider? 

Have read through those but not convinced ;) but now you've set them off as well !! :lol:

The only issue I had initially with a Porta Potti is the height....but I guess I can always set it up on a plinth style base?

Just now, The Grumpy Triker said:

Have read through those but not convinced ;) but now you've set them off as well !! :lol:

The only issue I had initially with a Porta Potti is the height....but I guess I can always set it up on a plinth style base?

Ha ha indeed! Yes good idea with the base as long as it can't slide off, that could prove err interesting .......... :P

Thetford c200 range. Some have a small pumped tank but most just utilise the cold water feed you already have there for the pump out. The seat swivels so you can position it against an easy out location for cassette removal. If no electric then use a mug of water no problem. Can be used occasionaly or full time liveaboard. When you have used it for a while you will be able to work out what to do with the extra space when you replace the other pump out bog.

I have the Thetford C200

https://www.thetford-europe.com/product/c200/

It's completely free standing with no wires and no connection to water. It is slightly higher than many and may be just the right height for you.

I don't live aboard, so mine gets emptied after about 5 days on board, that could be 3 weeks at the moment.

It doesn't smell, so no need for a fan. You fill the top tank with about 10L of water and bowl cleaner, and the bottom with something like Elsan blue to break up the waste and away you go.

Kevin

Edited by Kev's Halcyon
forgot about the Elsan blue!

8 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

Ha ha indeed! Yes good idea with the base as long as it can't slide off, that could prove err interesting .......... :P

Weeeeeeee......and ermmmm the other :lol: ....a good bit of evostik or if that melts the toilet maybe some simple battens around the base.

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thetford c200 range. Some have a small pumped tank but most just utilise the cold water feed you already have there for the pump out. The seat swivels so you can position it against an easy out location for cassette removal. If no electric then use a mug of water no problem. Can be used occasionaly or full time liveaboard. When you have used it for a while you will be able to work out what to do with the extra space when you replace the other pump out bog.

I can't see how the seat swivel helps with the cassette extraction....the pictures I've seen seem to show the cassette being extracted through the back only?...or am I mixing up the models?

As for your last sentence....:glare: :D ....it will be another pump out for sure ;)

9 minutes ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

I have the Thetford C200

https://www.thetford-europe.com/product/c200/

It's completely free standing with no wires and no connection to water. It is slightly higher than many and may be just the right height for you.

I don't live aboard, so mine gets emptied after about 5 days on board, that could be 3 weeks at the moment.

It doesn't smell, so no need for a fan. You fill the top tank with about 10L of water and bowl cleaner, and the bottom with something like Elsan blue to break up the waste and away you go.

Kevin

Cheers for that - yep that's the one I looked at but is there no option other than extracting the cassette through a hatch in the back wall? ....Smelly's comments support the one liner => If you install with seat swivelled you can extract left or right.....not sure what that really means as I can't picture what installed as swivelled means or see where the cassette comes out.

Am probably missing the obvious I know but just can't see it in any pictures so that I can visualise it in my loo space......the back wall for the loo will back onto wardrobe space on the other side so don't really want an extraction hatch through my clothes :huh:

10 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Weeeeeeee......and ermmmm the other :lol: ....a good bit of evostik or if that melts the toilet maybe some simple battens around the base.

I can't see how the seat swivel helps with the cassette extraction....the pictures I've seen seem to show the cassette being extracted through the back only?...or am I mixing up the models?

As for your last sentence....:glare: :D ....it will be another pump out for sure ;)

The cassette always comes out of the back tallest bit. The swivling seat is so you can position the back of the toilet say against the corridor bulkhead to remove cassette through but be able to position where you sit inside the toilet/bathroom depending on space and design.

6 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

The 'other' is the expletive uttered as you gracefully slide to your doom ....

Battens, you need to lift it out for emptying, could be a tad tricky otherwise :blink: 

Just now, mrsmelly said:

The cassette always comes out of the back tallest bit. The swivling seat is so you can position the back of the toilet say against the corridor bulkhead to remove cassette through but be able to position where you sit inside the toilet/bathroom depending on space and design.

....but always though a hatch at the back or it can be extracted left or right within the toilet space?

Just read you further reply. How big is you bathroom? If you cannot position it other than through your wardrobe then have you space to fit a small freestanding bulkhead/wall in your bathroom. I did this on my widebeam and it worked a treat.

We keep cross posting :lol:

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Just read you further reply. How big is you bathroom? If you cannot position it other than through your wardrobe then have you space to fit a small freestanding bulkhead/wall in your bathroom. I did this on my widebeam and it worked a treat.

I'm reducing it down to a 'Squared off b-Shape' So Main area will be 87.5cm by 65cm (this is the dividing wall to the wardrobe) with a mini-corridor style bit of 60cm by 50cm (this is the dividing wall to the wardrobe). The b-Shape size is also dictated by a window as want to keep this fully in the loo space as well as an existing vent.

This narrower bit is so that on the other side of this I can install shelving/cupboard space as part of the extended galley - as it is purely a back-up loo I want to make it as compact as possible so have a small narrow sink opposite where the loo will go

I liked the 200 as I thought  could install it diagonally in the corner....thinking that the cassette came out of the base.

6 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

I'm reducing it down to a 'Squared off b-Shape' So Main area will be 87.5cm by 65cm (this is the dividing wall to the wardrobe) with a mini-corridor style bit of 60cm by 50cm (this is the dividing wall to the wardrobe). The b-Shape size is also dictated by a window as want to keep this fully in the loo space as well as an existing vent.

This narrower bit is so that on the other side of this I can install shelving/cupboard space as part of the extended galley - as it is purely a back-up loo I want to make it as compact as possible so have a small narrow sink opposite where the loo will go

I liked the 200 as I thought  could install it diagonally in the corner....thinking that the cassette came out of the base.

Years ago Lee san sold a cassette bog where the cassette was removed from the front which would have been ideal for you but I have never seen one on a boat so probably didn't take off?

8 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We have the back of ours against a bulkhead with the seat twisted through 90°.

This is where I think I am missing something and as a newbie I assume too much....by bulkhead you mean the external wall I what I envisage?....but can't imagine having a hatch cut through the steel for cassette extraction?

In my head I can only see the cassette being taken out horizontally (cassette is vertical :D) from the back i.e. not thrugh the sides of the upright portion....I gues this means that as per Smelly's advice that a false wall against the external wall could help....but unsure how deep this would need to be if I was to extract the cassette through this false wall

Years ago Lee san sold a cassette bog where the cassette was removed from the front which would have been ideal for you but I have never seen one on a boat so probably didn't take off?

Sounds like it.....I think I need to see the clearance space requirements for the cassette extraction if I was to build a false wall or it delimits me down to fewer options.

Can't really shift the wardrobe either.

5 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

This is where I think I am missing something and as a newbie I assume too much....by bulkhead you mean the external wall I what I envisage?....but can't imagine having a hatch cut through the steel for cassette extraction?

In my head I can only see the cassette being taken out horizontally (cassette is vertical :D) from the back i.e. not thrugh the sides of the upright portion....I gues this means that as per Smelly's advice that a false wall against the external wall could help....but unsure how deep this would need to be if I was to extract the cassette through this false wall

If I wasn't a Dinosaur I could put you a diagram on. Is there a doorway from your corridor into the toilet because usualy the back of the thetford is put against it and a hole cut through the wood for cassette extraction. Nip to Whilton and grab a few boat keys and go for a look :D

If all else fails then as others have posted simply buy one of the porta pottis jobbies. They do the job admirable, are cheap and take least space of all and no need for leccy or water.

• Greenie 1

Many thanks all.....as ever greatly appreciated.

Not looking forward to removing the macerator and pipes & the capping off bit but is my last task before the building fun begins....making all my own furniture/cupboards etc. so a nice project and will transform the bow end of it from a hire boat into my boat.

Halcyon has a very small shower room, the Thetford is often twisted and moved for filling up and emptying, it's very easy to do. That is assuming you're not concerned about having it fitted.

You need access to the back of the toilet to remove the cassette for emptying, but also to fill the top tank.

Kevin

If I wasn't a Dinosaur I could put you a diagram on. Is there a doorway from your corridor into the toilet because usualy the back of the thetford is put against it and a hole cut through the wood for cassette extraction. Nip to Whilton and grab a few boat keys and go for a look :D

If all else fails then as others have posted simply buy one of the porta pottis jobbies. They do the job admirable, are cheap and take least space of all and no need for leccy or water.

:D Don't do yourself down ....I work with computers but can't find a wa to get a diagram in here :wacko:

If you draw a long line of 120cm along the bottom, left side up 50cm then turn right angles to the right for 60cm then turn right angles up for 30cm then turn right angles to the right for 65cm (in this corner is a small narrow sink) then turn right angles downwards to meet the original line.

The left side is the main boat corridor and doorway into the loo - the bottom right corner was where the loo was gong to go (ideally diagonally but doubtful now). The right side is the window and the bottom line is the dividing wall to my bedroom with wardrobe immediately backing onto it.....hope that all makes sense :)

2 minutes ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Halcyon has a very small shower room, the Thetford is often twisted and moved for filling up and emptying, it's very easy to do. That is assuming you're not concerned about having it fitted.

You need access to the back of the toilet to remove the cassette for emptying, but also to fill the top tank.

Kevin

Ahhh......so you don't have to seal it off to the wall for stability then, but could set it against the wall for use but without fixing it?....thus being able to move it and extract the cassette?

.....and it remains stable?.....when I have my occasional bump it won't start toppling over like some coming out of the pub on a New Year's Eve?

As mentioned, it is only a back up as I have the pump-out loo in the shower room space so it won't be used too often and will normally be clean and empty during my travels.