Cassette Toilets!!?....Not 'IF' but 'Which One'!?

The Grumpy Triker

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. 

Aqua-kem doesn't work for longer than about a week. Other makes of 'blue' vary but they all stop working eventually and the contents of the bog stink. 

This is there reason I have been so heavily in favour of composting bogs and pump-outs on here over the years....

:giggles:

But surely that only applies if you don't leave them clean!?....are you saying they smell if left clean? I was asking about rubber seals deteriorating or drying as opposed to anything else.

I would use mine in back-up situe and then clean and park so to speak.....not thinking of leaving a cassette stewing at half full for any length of time. As mentioned at the top of the thread I have my pump-out as norm but this is a back-up....so will be parked clean.

I would go for a porta potty on a plinth. I had a c200 on my shetland and it was a pain in the rear because of the very small space. I binned that and bought a porta potti and whilst it didn't give me any more space it was hugely easier to handle than the c200. I found the b iggest porta potti was a tad too low so I built a plinth for mine.61e97lAiwGL._SY606_.jpg.837a01d9b63c235b055064f57fe80f70.jpg

16 hours ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

But surely that only applies if you don't leave them clean!?....are you saying they smell if left clean? I was asking about rubber seals deteriorating or drying as opposed to anything else.

Thetford have sold a silicone spray for treating the seals, or they have suggested wiping them with olive oil as an alternative.   Vinegar will remove any calcium.

On 07/01/2018 at 20:41, system 4-50 said:

You must have an ordinary bucket somewhere. Just add a child's loo conversion seat on top - and be accurate.

Hmmmm.....that would be good for visitors.....I could put it in the woods .....might be left alone then :)

...not so hot for 3 young kiddies sadly....be accurate!?....With two young lads it could need a wet room.

On 08/01/2018 at 10:34, JamesFrance said:

Thetford have sold a silicone spray for treating the seals, or they have suggested wiping them with olive oil as an alternative.   Vinegar will remove any calcium.

Cheers for that - the olive oil tip is useful and got to be cheaper thN their own stufff.....hey recommend their own toilet paper....surely no-one buys that stuff except the Royals of camping!?

5 hours ago, mattlad said:

Going in the woods (where the trees are) saves having to empty the cassette or pay for a pump out.......

Might struggle on a roundabout in some towns where trees are scarce :huh:

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

With two young lads, you'll probably have a wet room anyway (well, at least the floor):)

Very true! :lol:

Edited by The Grumpy Triker
True even

On 05/01/2018 at 11:05, The Grumpy Triker said:

Have read through those but not convinced ;) but now you've set them off as well !! :lol:

The only issue I had initially with a Porta Potti is the height....but I guess I can always set it up on a plinth style base?

Ours is thus.

On 08/01/2018 at 10:34, JamesFrance said:

done this for years. Also, the blue chemical stuff wrecks the seals, we use biological washing powder and the seals have been good for donkey's years now.