New exhaust

Featured Posts

Might have stood on the exhaust pipe recently and broke it. oops!

It never been the most quite and looks quite old, and i am sure if i unwrap the lagging tape, it will fall apart.

So i plan to remove and fit a new one, would like it to be less noisy than was but no idea where to start, engine is a nanni if that makes any difference?

What options do i have?

Unwrap it, measure it, buy another one

It's unlikely to be anything exotic, I doubt Nanni supplied it. If you want to fit a big hospital silencer, you need to do a lot more planning and moving stuff in the engine bay

Richard

9 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Will a big hospital make much difference, its a cruiser stern so engine is only covered by boards.

It will make it much easier to hear the rattling engine ;)

Seriously, Hospital silencers make the exhaust virtually silent. 

14 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

there is plenty of room in the bay, luckily the system is easily reached, its just the silencer part i am unsure of...

Will a big hospital make much difference, its a cruiser stern so engine is only covered by boards.

From memory, they are huge. You can compare from the Midland Chandlers site: https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/midland chandlers/engineering and tools/exhaust system/exhaust silencers.aspx

We got a lot of benefit from sorting out our deck boards to stop engine noise coming up

Richard

We have an ospital so called jobby. They are differing sizes as they are realy whatever you want them to be. Ours is quite flippin big it sits ont  swim and comes up against nearly the deckboards. They are deffo quieter but as others say you just hear more of the bangs from your engine :D

40 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We have an ospital so called jobby. They are differing sizes as they are realy whatever you want them to be. Ours is quite flippin big it sits ont  swim and comes up against nearly the deckboards. They are deffo quieter but as others say you just hear more of the bangs from your engine :D

and hydrophnic noises form the prop.

• Happy 1

Our soon to be sold shared boat has a hospital silencer working with a Nanni engine. It is brilliant. Fisherman often don't hear us coming and people sometimes ask if the boat is electric. When we bought our own boat it came with a standard small silencer that had quite a rasp to it. Going through Harecastle tunnel resulted in Tinnitus. After putting up with it for a season I contacted TW Marine about a hospital exhaust but there just wasn't enough space. 

They do sell a largish non hospital silencer though which just fitted in the available space. It's not as good as a hospital silencer but it has made a significant difference. Even though we are on a trad we can now hear the engine valve gear rather than the exhaust.  

After we had a new engine fitted, our exhaust was very noisy and we had a lot of vibration; apparently Beta engines like cheap silencers or hospital silencers but don't so much like anything between - and also the angle of our pipe was all wrong. TW Marine built and fitted a custom-made hospital silencer and the results were amazingly good. Even though the exhaust now comes out on my side of the cruiser stern I still can't hear it, even in a tunnel. Of course, it wasn't cheap.