3 Homefi not mi-fi

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, LadyG said:

£30 buys top of my range headphones.

My mobile phone costs £10 pa

I paid £200 for my PC, now replaced with my laptop £250, next is tablet, budget £300

I'm very happy with my Samsung Tab A 10 inch tablet. Cost about £200 18 months ago. Now around £180 or less, even on the high street.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5709100

Can be used as a phone if you put a SIM in it (useful if you have an unlimited data and calls SIM - no need to tether and risk having data limited), and can take a micro SD card. I have around 15,000 songs at 320mbps on my 128gb SD card and still there is loads of room for photo's.

23 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I'm very happy with my Samsung Tab A 10 inch tablet. Cost about £200 18 months ago. Now around £180 or less, even on the high street.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5709100

Can be used as a phone if you put a SIM in it (useful if you have an unlimited data and calls SIM - no need to tether and risk having data limited), and can take a micro SD card. I have around 15,000 songs at 320mbps on my 128gb SD card and still there is loads of room for photo's.

ty,

I really don't want a phone, other than to make an odd phone call. 

If necessary.  I give some random stranger £1 to use their phone, no problem.

It' s too complex to bother about tethring, i will buy top of range tablet, and get my stuff from the net.

No need for 15K tunes, I won't live that long,

ty

Edited by LadyG

On 16/01/2018 at 17:30, LadyG said:

ty,

I really don't want a phone, other than to make an odd phone call. 

If necessary.  I give some random stranger £1 to use their phone, no problem.

It' s too complex to bother about tethring, i will buy top of range tablet, and get my stuff from the net.

No need for 15K tunes, I won't live that long,

ty

A curious attitude. A smartphone is useful for an AMAZING range of things, of which making phone calls is probably the least useful.

Imagine there was a PC so small you could hold it in your hand.... 

oh forget it!!

:giggles:

Maybe so, but frankly, I don't want  to lose control of reality, of expenditure, buying aps and all the rest of the things I neither want nor need.

My view of things is that you are all being scammed, just like folks who's life revolves around shopping, B&Q, Sky Sports and the latest fantasy film.   I reject that stuff.  I prefer to control my own life, not feed Microsoft and t'others of the same ilk.

This is not to say that I can/wish to live without technology, just that I am fairly selective.

I suppose you know there is a computer so small you can wear it on your wrist?

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Maybe so, but frankly, I don't want  to lose control of reality, of expenditure, buying aps and all the rest of the things I neither want nor need.

My view of things is that you are all being scammed, just like folks who's life revolves around shopping, B&Q, Sky Sports and the latest fantasy film.   I reject that stuff.  I prefer to control my own life, not feed microsoft and t'others of the same ilk.

You've clearly never used or owned a smartphone. They are nothing to do with these things.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You've clearly never used or owned a smartphone. They are nothing to do with these things.

No. why would I?

I can find out about stuff on my PC as you call it. Folks are addicted to their smartphone, I see them all the time, where does it get them ........... nowhere fast.

eg selfies: fgs, a whole industry built on froth.

Perhaps they should buy Tony Blairs road map?

I may get some sort of smartphone thingy if I need it, but at the moment I certainly don't.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Ok lets have a look at the apps I have and pay for.

1) A gas rating app. I use this for safety checking boilers. A legal obligation whenever I work on one and make a MILLION times easier than using a stopwatch, pencil, paper and calculator. I think i paid £3 for it.

2) Spotify. A tenner a month so I can listen to any music I chose without having to buy the CD. 

3) Doves. A database of all the bell towers in the UK, the bells installed and the practice nights.

4) Ultimate Guitar. Tabs for millions of songs, chord library and guitar tuner. Can't remember the cost but its trivial.

All the dozens of other fantastic apps I have are free.

39 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok lets have a look at the apps I have and pay for.

1) A gas rating app. I use this for safety checking boilers. A legal obligation whenever I work on one and make a MILLION times easier than using a stopwatch, pencil, paper and calculator. I think i paid £3 for it.

2) Spotify. A tenner a month so I can listen to any music I chose without having to buy the CD. 

3) Doves. A database of all the bell towers in the UK, the bells installed and the practice nights.

4) Ultimate Guitar. Tabs for millions of songs, chord library and guitar tuner. Can't remember the cost but its trivial.

All the dozens of other fantastic apps I have are free.

lol, yes, my point exactly, absolutely of no interest to me, you can't listen to 10 thousand itunes no matter how long you live. 

You can only practice bell ringing if you are there, and learn the ropes.

You should not rely on your app to work out safety stuff, you should know what it means and how to do it. f you don't know what you are doing, you should not be doing it. The algorithm could well be wrong [eg the Hubble fiasco] GIGO.

I had about five electricians in my house to do some rewiring, I asked one to do a continuity check, he could not get out of the house fast enough. Spent enough time on his damn phone though, what use is that to me? I got so fed up with them,  started doing phone interviews rather than have them waste any more of my time.

Every time I give my mobile number to a company they think they can use it to spam me, and I can't block their spam. They sell my number to others of their ilk.

The guy who sell batteries to motorists at Quick Fit tells me all  batteries are the same: no , all HIS batteries are the same , ie cr#p. HE can't identify a problem with his gadgets [printout of 80% is classified as GOOD!] I ask for a printout of the battery spec whch he tells me is approved by Ford ... not available. He has to refund as I am not going away [this is the second battery btw]. This is a garage who pretty much only sell batteries and tyres. They once tried to sell me car tyres when I have a van, thus nullifying my insurance, that is what you are up against. 

Technology is a double edged sword.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Just now, LadyG said:

lol, yes, my point exactly, absolutely of no interest to me, you can't listen to 10 thousand itunes no matter how long you live. 

Missing MY point by a country mile. There will be apps you will find useful in fields youknowe about and/or are interested in. I guarantee it. 

None so blind as those who will not see, someone once said.

49 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Missing MY point by a country mile. There will be apps you will find useful in fields youknowe about and/or are interested in. I guarantee it. 

None so blind as those who will not see, someone once said.     

I'm sure there are, and I am not missing your point, I just do not want to be sucked in,  I prefer to make my own choices in life, not "trending" like sheep in a race.

Edited by LadyG

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm sure there are, and I am not missing your point, I just do not want to be sucked in,  I prefer to make my own choices in life, not "trending" like sheep in a race.

I really don't get why using a specific tool for a specific task makes one like "sheep in a race", just because it involves a phone. 

The same argument could be applied to anyone using a computer for anything. E.G. you!

59 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No. why would I?

I can find out about stuff on my PC as you call it. Folks are addicted to their smartphone, I see them all the time, where does it get them ........... nowhere fast.

I may get some sort of smartphone thingy if I need it, but at the moment I certainly don't.

Was moored at Wallingford on the Thames and saw a Youngish Couple walking along the Towpath with a Baby in a Pram. they each had a Smart Phone held in front of their Faces .

Will that Child grow up thinking that his Parents have a Black Rectangle attached to their Faces? I suppose Baby will be Equipped with one before learning to Walk?

I do have a Smartphone (Gift) and the Apps. can be useful ,but have to agree with you that there are People that cannot put them down!

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I really don't get why using a specific tool for a specific task makes one like "sheep in a race", just because it involves a phone. 

The same argument could be applied to anyone using a computer for anything. E.G. you!

Then things get out of hand  

Edited by LadyG

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

No. why would I?

But how does your PC connect to the internet whilst on a boat or away from a building?

Increasingly, smartphones (dumb mobiles not suitable) are used to enable that connection, whether or not the information is viewed on a tablet, PC or the smartphone itself. FWIW, we use all three on the boat as there are different contexts and one is more suitable than the others but it varies.

The main alternative to a smartphone with tethering is a mi-fi dongle perhaps with a dumb mobile for calls. But that is just the same as a smartphone but packaged differently but with potentially less functionality (whilst it supports doing things on a tablet or PC it does not allow viewing on the phone)

Everyone is different but I guess that one of the largest uses (adding a number of bits together) is finding out about the world immediately around us - either looking for shops on Google (more up to date than the paper guides), transport timetables for picking up the car, Old OS maps to find out about the history or even trying to discover why there is a strange looking structure in just that location. You will miss so much if you are not inquisitive about what you see or hear. 

Take one small example: just before reaching Worcester on the day after Boxing Day we passed what looked like a former wharf structure but with nothing close by to suggest why it was there. A little bit of Googling revealed some amazing history of the area including that a famous film star had crash landed there making a training film in the last war! Also that Cadbury's cake factory was turned to rifle bullet production - and I later met someone whose mother had worked there!

I pay £35 pcm for unlimited internet access, I rarely take the laptop with me, why should I?.  I understand free net is available lots of places for those who can't manage life without tethering. I have folks I don't know constantly asking to be friends, about 98 a week as far as I can see. I just ignore them, they should get a life, find real friends.

My phone costs about £10pa

I buy a new computer about every 2-3 years and pay £200 to £300

My phone is a phone, I rarely use it, and don't hand out the number to customers as from experience they phone me up and yap on for ages, presumably cos they want to use up every free minute every month. Even worse they leave a message, which I ignore.

I  am not working when I am on the phone and I think this applies to tradesmen who come to work for me. They are working for me, not being paid to chat to others.

Edited by LadyG

44 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I pay £35 pcm for unlimited internet access, I rarely take the laptop with me, why should I?.  I understand free net is available lots of places for those who can't manage life without tethering.  

I thought you were going to live on a boat, if so you wont have your your £35 month unlimited then.

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A curious attitude. A smartphone is useful for an AMAZING range of things, of which making phone calls is probably the least useful.

oh forget it!!

LadyG has a valid point. Me included ! and my wife. We are forced to 'learn' how to use a smartphone designed for the rat-race, how to configure it, how to dig down through layers of bewildering and complicated phone pages, in order to make and/or receive a simple phone call. 

47 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought you were going to live on a boat, if so you wont have your your £35 month unlimited then.

Correct, which is why I am researching on this thread [about mifi]: its £30pcm for 30GB from EE , a tablet will be my main PC, so the laptop wont be used too much.

I think I'll cope. I can always use facilities provided by KFC, Virgin Rail First Class,    canalside pubs,  and so on. I won't be online anything like so much as at the present. I will have forsaken the rat race, forever. Only one last sea change, a few shakes of creative deliberations, a wisp of blue sky thinking, and I am hitting the ground running, movin' and shakin' one last time.

The plan is to experience my life experiences in non virtual reality.

I will download books [most classics are out of copyright, so are free], manuals, mp3 s and so on to the my laptop for further reading. Its got gigaloads of rom.

My track record with mobiles includes two thru the washing machine [50:50 survival] and one in washing up water [100 fail], one lost after fallng off horse [100% loss]. Life in the fast lane.

Edited by LadyG

19 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

oh forget it!!

Sorry, I should maybe say, that for my purposes, a larger screen is essential, but hey, I know you love an argument, any argument :) 

Edited by LadyG

16 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Post #77 details how to get a smartphone with a 10 inch screen :)

yep. I am not sure if I have to buy one with a sim card as my main net access will be mifi and I'll only use the smartphone sim  if I run out of GBytes.

and of course I refuse to enter any more monthly contracts, and i can live without net for a few days till the next month kicks in.

If the mifi and the tablet both have sims, won't there be a fight?

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

yep. I am not sure if I have to buy one with a sim card as my main net access will be mifi and I'll only use the smartphone sim  if I run out of GBytes.

and of course I refuse to enter any more monthly contracts,and i can live with no net for a few days till the next month kicks in.

If the mifi and the tablet both have sims, won't there be a fight?

No, the tablet will see the mifi as a wireless Internet hotspot, and use that when it is available in preference to its own SIM.

• Greenie 1