3 Homefi not mi-fi

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

OK, went to Tesco and chatted to staff, for some reason the guy who sells phones is not really interested, and sends me to electronics where I buy headphones, [stereo and wireless].

I am charging them up, something changed on my laptop, but there is no noise over the headphones. 

What do I do now?

28 minutes ago, Boredrider said:

Once they are charged up, and switched on, you will need to pair them with the bluetooth module in the laptop. If the laptop has windows 10, its settings - devices - bluetooth.

yes, well, I am charging them up [connectedduckbill to flatbill] on the laptop  and they are red, so probably flat.

I tried settings, and bluetooth, but can't find headphones, and its just looking lookng looking, but no device listed

It does say turn on device, and there is a "blind switch" a membrane thingy., so how do i know if it is on or off.

how do i know if it is charged, does it have to be a green light, how long does it take fgs

Edited by LadyG

39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

OK, went to Tesco and chatted to staff, for some reason the guy who sells phones is not really interested, and sends me to electronics where I buy headphones, [stereo and wireless].

I am charging them up, something changed on my laptop, but there is no noise over the headphones. 

What do I do now?

What were you planning to buy from the Phone section, or what were you enquiring about if not planning to buy there and then?

Edited by Richard10002

28 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

What were you planning to buy from the Phone section, or what were you enquiring about if not planning to buy there and then?

I just wandered around and that was the first place  with staff, there were phones, tablets and "accessories". He did not ask me about phones as I asked him about tablets, and stuff he knew about, there were no other customers in the phone dept and two staff, the "accessories" dept had two customers and one staff.

I did ask him if the tablets he had would act as phones, he was rather reluctant to enthuse over stuff, and sent me to the other counter.

I might have been interested in a phone, but that is secondary to the tablet.

OOOOOOO  action stations, the red light has gone out, will try again.

nooooooooooooo nothing happening, can't seem to find the "action centre" I just wish they would stop making up words and phrases, apparently I should refer to the instructions with the headset.

I can see this is a total waste of time.

The red ight has come on the headset again, surely they don t go flat in 12 minutes, sigh

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Boredrider said:

Once they are charged up, and switched on, you will need to pair them with the bluetooth module in the laptop. If the laptop has windows 10, its settings - devices - bluetooth.

yes its wwindows10, and tried devices, bluetooth [assuming its not xbox],  it searches for a device, but does not find one. How can I tell if the device is on, its just a tiny button thingy

35 minutes ago, Boredrider said:

Do the earphone instructions tell you how to turn them on?  Usually the light that goes green when charged, goes blue when they are on and searching.

ok, i'll have a look at the instructions, it took me 10 mins to work out that quick instruction 1 was about how to charge.

Edited by LadyG

Ok, so I have not fully charged up yet, but I got them to turn on, as per instructions, there is alternating red blue light when they are on, but the bluetooth on t'internet is not swtched on, according to the machine, it suggests I update, but i cant find an "update" in settings.

I ve got the phones on charge again, but I think they had enuff charge to fire up if the bluetooth was ON. I ve never seen any notificatons from bluetooth from the laptop. Do I need to get it to act as a tablet or something? The headphone instructions show a piccy of an android phone, 

I might take these back to Tesco,  and go to local computer shop, let her sort it out.

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, Boredrider said:

Are you certain that your laptop has a bluetooth module inside it?  On the settings screen for bluetooth is the little picture of a switch blue? ie "on"

nope. the screen is grey and orange on a white background. there is no bluetooth insignia. i don't seem to hae found a bluetooth page as such

are you telling me I need something in the hardware department?

I did ask the guy sellng phones if my laptop would work with bluetooth, and he said it would :(

It says "add bluetooth or another device, then there is a grey square with a black plus sign.

press the black sign anf a new screen comes up, this is the one which is called "add a device"

and there is a blue tooth insgnia but it is white on a black screen.

it says, turn on bluetooth, but I am not sure if that is cos it knows  can' t find it

Edited by LadyG

Suggest you look up on t'internet the exact spec of the laptop, and see if it has Bluetooth.  If it has, then make sure it is on, by sliding the "switch" on the settings page to on. The earphones should also be on and nearby.  The laptop settings screen should then show that the phones have been found and ask you if you want to pair, and then connect - which you do.  Once set up, the connection should happen automatically in future.

If the laptop doesn't have Bluetooth then you can get a plug in module - speak to the computer shop.

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

n:(

It says "add bluetooth or another device, then there is a grey square with a black plus sign

Sorry, cross posting here!  Try clicking on the plus sign to get things going.

14 minutes ago, Boredrider said:

Suggest you look up on t'internet the exact spec of the laptop, and see if it has Bluetooth.  If it has, then make sure it is on, by sliding the "switch" on the settings page to on. The earphones should also be on and nearby.  The laptop settings screen should then show that the phones have been found and ask you if you want to pair, and then connect - which you do.  Once set up, the connection should happen automatically in future.

If the laptop doesn't have Bluetooth then you can get a plug in module - speak to the computer shop.

Sorry, cross posting here!  Try clicking on the plus sign to get things going.

yes, that gets me to the black screen which seems likely to be searching for the device, the earphones, 

it seems to be saying "cannot connect"

try turning ON bluetooth

OR update Windows

I just think there is no bluetooth, if it can t be downloaded as software, I should just abandon the idea.

Edited by LadyG

oh, OK, I think I'll tell computer shop I got the headphones for xmas [eeks] as I try to buy most things from her, including this laptop which was second hand, but hi spec. I should be able to find out if thre is bluetooth  on the laptop, she would surely have told me when I bought it . 

I just assumed it could be downloaded, and that the audio devices needed to be purchased separately, so they would connect.

I hate technology. Trying to get answers to the basic Qs is the most difficult.

Pouring a whisky now, a large one!

My plan was to purchase a good tablet which would essentially replace the laptop, keepin laptop as a storage device. but I thought I'd ease myself n to it as my current headphones are knacked.

Edited by LadyG

To help you along, broadly speaking one device needs to be put into “discoverable” mode while the other device needs putting in “seek” mode. Then when the seeking device finds the discoverable  device, a “pairing code” displayed by one device needs to be put into the other, resulting in the two devices being paired. This only needs to be done once as the pairing is remembered. 

All clear now? :giggles:

59 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

To help you along, broadly speaking one device needs to be put into “discoverable” mode while the other device needs putting in “seek” mode. Then when the seeking device finds the discoverable  device, a “pairing code” displayed by one device needs to be put into the other, resulting in the two devices being paired. This only needs to be done once as the pairing is remembered. 

All clear now? :giggles:

absolutely

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Why not use wired headphones. Cheaper and MUCH better sound quality than Blutooth IMO.

Well, I fancied that I would end up with a wireless system so that I can move about  and have a stereo experience, not sure  why bluetooth should be poorer sound quality, per se,

I have looked and it seems a bluetooth module is under a tenner, but also looked at the specs of tablets : huawei mediapad seem to have blue tooth, so I might hang on to the buetooth headphones and purchase normal headphones, but I;m not sure if the jack plug on my laptop gives stereo, so I might buy two headphones and still no stereo. I don't want to spend yet more money and still have nothing better than I have now.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Well, I fancied that I would end up with a wireless system so that I can move about  and have a stereo experience, not sure  why bluetooth should be poorer sound quality, per se,

I have looked and it seems a bluetooth module is under a tenner, but also looked at the specs of tablets : huawei mediapad seem to have blue tooth, so I might hang on to the buetooth headphones and purchase normal headphones, but I;m not sure if the jack plug on my laptop gives stereo, so I might buy two headphones and still no stereo. I don't want to spend yet more money and still have nothing better than I have now.

These websites try to explain why the sound from bluetooth headphones is lower, assuming earphones  of similar price and quality.

Basically the music is compressed more with bluetooth, but whether you can hear the difference depends on your ears and quality of your audio system.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-to-know-about-bluetooth-3134591

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-difference-in-quality-between-wired-and-wireless-headphones-If-so-what-are-the-technical-reasons-for-this-Is-it-bandwidth-or-a-frequency-constraint

Providing your laptop has a 3.5mm jackplug, and has been made in the last 15 years or so, it will produce stereo sound.

I can’t tell the difference between Bluetooth sound and direct sound via my wired earphones - Shure SE 535

I have a Bluetooth adapter that I can plug the earphones into to make them Bluetooth.

ive also listened to Bose QC35 wireless headphones in stores, and they sound amazing when paired with my iPhone.

Unless you are a true audiophile, I don’t think the difference between wired and Bluetooth is very noticeable.

15 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Unless you are a true audiophile, I don’t think the difference between wired and Bluetooth is very noticeable.

Agreed. And unless you’re paying £200+ for the headphones I don’t think the difference is noticeable to anyone. 

On 15/01/2018 at 13:21, cuthound said:

These websites try to explain why the sound from bluetooth headphones is lower, assuming earphones  of similar price and quality.

Basically the music is compressed more with bluetooth, but whether you can hear the difference depends on your ears and quality of your audio system.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-to-know-about-bluetooth-3134591

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-difference-in-quality-between-wired-and-wireless-headphones-If-so-what-are-the-technical-reasons-for-this-Is-it-bandwidth-or-a-frequency-constraint

Providing your laptop has a 3.5mm jackplug, and has been made in the last 15 years or so, it will produce stereo sound.

Considering the age of CWDF members, not to mention loud music in the 1970s and the noisy jobs many of us have had, I suspect not many of us can hear much beyond 10KHz so super expensive headphones are a bit pointless for me.