Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwatch

Puddle Duck is Missing

Featured Posts

Hello all. 

We had just moored up to the east of Hilperton. Knock on the boat. It was Mary P from the forum. She left her 30' ish Springer named Puddle Duck on a mooring nearby. Sadly it's been taken or it's drifted off. Unlikely to have drifted off.

Anyone on the western end of the K&A see this boat please come back to me or contact Mary P via the forum.This has only happened in the last twenty minutes, the discovery I mean, so early days.

As is common in these situations I am now debating with myself whether I have seen it. I may have seen it in the Avoncliffe area but I don't want to swear on that. The boat is dark green and red. The name is not on the side of the boat but obviously the license has the name on and apparently there's bunting spelling the name. 

The Reading end of the canal is shut until March and the Avon, I think is closed at Bath.

i hope its found. 

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Is this Mary P?: https://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/profile/28918-maryp/

Richard

MORE: If so, this is Puddleduck:

Puddleduck Built by Springer UK Ltd - Length : 7.01 metres ( 23 feet ) - Beam : 2.07 metres ( 6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft : 0.01 metres ( 0 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 15 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 47103 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

So, reg number 47013

Edited by RLWP

Last seen about Christmas. No photos. Mary P has left here now, said she was getting on her bike. That's all I know sorry.

12 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

So, reg number 47013

Quick work Richard. 47013 or 47103. 

16 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Richard

So, reg number 47013

Quick work Richard. 47013 or 47103. 

Just to confuse the issue. 

I think I've just seen Puddle Duck go pastith Mary P's daughter driving it. She waved enthusiastically at me. It was a 23' ish Springer in Green and red.

Take a breath Martyn,take a breath.

Cripes it could be anywhere in over a week. I think Blakes is still closed isn't it?? but there has been plenty of time to move it or even crane it :( certainly whack a coat of paint on it. Get the towpath telegraph going.

Must have come adrift and some good soul tied it upgain. 

As we used to say in the Gulf, "Oils well,that ends well". Well not quite.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Cripes it could be anywhere in over a week. I think Blakes is still closed isn't it?? but there has been plenty of time to move it or even crane it :( certainly whack a coat of paint on it. Get the towpath telegraph going.

My thoughts Tim. No time like the present. Anyway, not unusually I've been a bit premature!! Did I type that out loud.

Apologies to Mary Pif she didn't want this publishing.

11 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My thoughts Tim. No time like the present. Anyway, not unusually I've been a bit premature!! Did I type that out loud.

Apologies to Mary Pif she didn't want this publishing.

If she wants her boat back the more the details are put out there the more chance she will have of getting it back. Sometimes somebody sees something they thinks a bit odd but don't act on it until such a time as this and could point out to the boats whereabouts

Pleased its been a false alarm, nowt to be ashamed about :cheers:

Edited by mrsmelly
update

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If she wants her boat back the more the details are put out there the more chance she will have of getting it back. Sometimes somebody sees something they thinks a bit odd but don't act on it until such a time as this and could point out to the boats whereabouts

Pleased its been a false alarm, nowt to be ashamed about :cheers:

Jumping the gun or being premature??

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Jumping the gun or being premature??

Don't worry about it. I can't see she has been inconvenienced, and if the boat had been missing you did the right thing

Richard

Just to confirm that Puddle Duck did decide to go cruising on its own. About a mile. Hit another boat about midnight. Arrested and detained. Mary P just told me. 

Martyn

Fantastic quick result from the Canalworld sleuths - 5 minutes from the first lost boat post and we have solved it.

Well done all.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Phew that’s a relief. There is a sunken named “Puddle” just opposite me.  I was about to post a photo to see if this was it. 

Unfortunately Puddle has been sunk since May 2017. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Gosh is it that long? I'd have guessed about three months.

'Fraid so, I don't know what's happening with regard to salvaging her.

21 minutes ago, Meanderingviking said:

'Fraid so, I don't know what's happening with regard to salvaging her.

All the junk from the front and back decks and a load from inside was removed and piled up on the bank a couple of weeks ago. 

And today I notice the roof handrails have vanished.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Thank you everyone who helped us today!!

My first thought apart from knocking on the nearest boat was to phone the very helpful mooring warden for the area, who phoned me back a couple of minutes after my message. He said it had been spotted by his team yesterday where I'd left it. The pins had been pulled out rather than removed I could see from the mess they'd made of the bank. Springers do have V bottomed hulls, so pins do pull out, even if they've got 3 in to ground level on a 23 foot boat!!

So, it had gone off on it's own accord rather than being removed by someone. The good people who rescued the boat saw it floating alone as they walked home. They managed to capture it as it came to rest on their boat. They helpfully put messages on FB which I'm yet to see as I've only just got on line.

So thanks one and all, and a Happy New Year!! 

I use my boat often as I'm self employed and can organise my own time, so it's not usually alone for that long..... Very happy to be sitting here with the fire going and a glass in my hand! Cheers!

Mary

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

12 minutes ago, MaryP said:

Thank you everyone who helped us today!!

My first thought apart from knocking on the nearest boat was to phone the very helpful mooring warden for the area, who phoned me back a couple of minutes after my message. He said it had been spotted by his team yesterday where I'd left it. The pins had been pulled out rather than removed I could see from the mess they'd made of the bank. Springers do have V bottomed hulls, so pins do pull out, even if they've got 3 in to ground level on a 23 foot boat!!

So, it had gone off on it's own accord rather than being removed by someone. The good people who rescued the boat saw it floating alone as they walked home. They managed to capture it as it came to rest on their boat. They helpfully put messages on FB which I'm yet to see as I've only just got on line.

So thanks one and all, and a Happy New Year!! 

I use my boat often as I'm self employed and can organise my own time, so it's not usually alone for that long..... Very happy to be sitting here with the fire going and a glass in my hand! Cheers!

Mary

I’m pleased you found her so quickly, Mary. That must’ve been a proper heart in mouth moment. As you say, Springers do pull their pins, especially when the weathers been hammering rain down for weeks and the bank is like jelly. Still, all’s well that ends well and I hope that Puddleduck is none the worse for wear and you’re comfortable and warm. 

Sign in to follow this