Smoke on The water

Sapphal

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

This could turn out worse than fish puns:D

Yes, it could go off the scale.

I have heard that there are extensive cheese fields on the Whey Navigation.

Edited by Athy

I remember when itv had a popular programme the generating stations had to be ready for the ads when kettles where switched on. The new system will be cars all arriving home at similar times, school run, end of working day .Power dip as all plug in.

Smelly boat chimneys so burn proper fuel and seasoned wood not the stuff from that recent fallen tree.However according to the Telegraph plastic which cannot be sent abroad to places like China will be burnt in this country.

Permanent moorings near buildings will need chimney extensions that can swing out from the bank on davits and boats can connect to them.

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You mean near the pork pie mines

Don't be silly, pork pies aren't mined, they are grown on pork pie trees in pig orchards and are harvested by the locals who ware pork pie hats specially designed as safety hats to deflect falling pies.

2 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Don't be silly, pork pies aren't mined, they are grown on pork pie trees in pig orchards and are harvested by the locals who ware pork pie hats specially designed as safety hats to deflect falling pies.

Richard Dimbleby would have been proud of you.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Richard Dimbleby would have been proud of you.

It is quite obvious that pork pies grow on trees, if you take a look at the top of a pie it has a raised pattern where the stork once held it and it has a flat bottom from where it hits the ground whilst still soft. When hanging on the tree they look like brown apples.

Most pies are grown on trees, except of course pasties which grow on a pastie bush. Samosas are of course related to the Cornish pastie but are grown in a mixture of compost and curry powder.

5 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

it has a raised pattern where the stork once held it and it has a flat bottom from where it hits the ground whilst still soft.

I think you may be confusing pork pies with babies.

10 minutes ago, jds_1981 said:

In find the lea to be very smokey. A couple of photographs.

smog2.jpg

smog3.jpg

Even smokeless fuel can be smokey and it tends to put it quite a few sulpher compounds when burning so isn't really any better to breathe.

I think some people think it means Smoke less as in without smoke when in reality the phrase is "SMOKES LESS"  than some others.

34 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Yes and they did in July 1969.

Yes I vividly recal watching it on live telly and in fact recording it on my reel to reel tape recorder. Very clever cold war marketing being watched by the ussr.

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes I vividly recal watching it on live telly and in fact recording it on my reel to reel tape recorder. Very clever cold war marketing being watched by the ussr.

Although the Russians who would have been monitoring very closely have never disputed the fact. And who can dispute all those perfect photos taken on the moons surface by a man in a thick suit with a cumbersome glass domed helmet and using a camera without a viewfinder, truly top draw photography in extreme conditions.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Peter X said:

So how much smoke do boats at wharves in Shanghai actually make? There are people on this forum with real experience in the shipping industry, can they tell us?

I didn't see much smoke from canal boats when I was in China, even though many boats were carrying poor quality coal. They must have had a fire, given the cold winters there, but there isn't much indication on the cabin roof.

Shaobu locks.jpg

6 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

So you still don't believe it actually happened then. 

I am not alone. I used to believe it but when you consider how far technology has come in just the last few years and how difficult even today it would be to achieve!!? There was far more at stake in those days behind the scenes than actualy landing on the moon.

28 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Although the Russians who would have been monitoring very closely have never disputed the fact. And who can dispute all those perfect photos taken on the moons surface by a man in a thick suit with a cumbersome glass domed helmet and using a camera without a viewfinder, truly top draw photography in extreme conditions.

Full frame Hasselblad 500 I believe.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I am not alone. I used to believe it but when you consider how far technology has come in just the last few years and how difficult even today it would be to achieve!!? There was far more at stake in those days behind the scenes than actualy landing on the moon.

This is why I'm 100% convinced the moon landings did happen.

About 15 years ago I was privileged to meet John Young who was the commander of Apollo 16 when he gave a very detailed talk a my flying club. He walked on the moon in 1972.  His talk was so detailed and backed up by photographs/slides that I've never seen in the public domain before. 

At the end of his 2 hour talk I cornered him in the bar and asked for his autograph which he refused. He apologised saying that NASA astronauts were not allowed to give autographs. After a short chat he shook my hand and chatted to someone else.  What struck me was that he was quite slight in stature and had a weak handshake. He came over as a very nice ordinary guy and not a super hero macho man I was expecting.

Perhaps he was an actor and it was all NASA propaganda. I was completely convinced and have never doubted that the moon landings took place.

I think that had you been there even you would have been convinced.

40 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

This is why I'm 100% convinced the moon landings did happen.

About 15 years ago I was privileged to meet John Young who was the commander of Apollo 16 when he gave a very detailed talk a my flying club. He walked on the moon in 1972.  His talk was so detailed and backed up by photographs/slides that I've never seen in the public domain before. 

At the end of his 2 hour talk I cornered him in the bar and asked for his autograph which he refused. He apologised saying that NASA astronauts were not allowed to give autographs. After a short chat he shook my hand and chatted to someone else.  What struck me was that he was quite slight in stature and had a weak handshake. He came over as a very nice ordinary guy and not a super hero macho man I was expecting.

Perhaps he was an actor and it was all NASA propaganda. I was completely convinced and have never doubted that the moon landings took place.

I think that had you been there even you would have been convinced.

Have you seen the " Power of tv advertising " advert on tv at present?  The one where the space craft lands and the bloke in his old motorhome apparently tears off down the road to the landing spot? Great advert innitt :) and very convincing.

• Greenie 1