Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jenevers

Fireworks ...what a waste of money

Featured Posts

Am I the only one who feels that the millions wasted on 20 minutes of flash, bang wallop, would be far better being ploughed into housing the homeless sleeping on our streets over winter? 

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

You may be the only one to couch your opinion in those terms - but we shall see.

8 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Am I the only one who feels that the millions wasted on 20 minutes of flash, bang wallop, would be far better being ploughed into housing the homeless sleeping on our streets over winter? 

No you are not. Wife and I were saying just the same. We saw the London thing on the news and I googled the cost. Don't look yourself you will be just as disgusted as I was as to the complete waste of valuable resources.

Must agree, seems like a daft thing to spend money on, kind of nice to mark the new year though, would be hell of a lot cheaper to bung a stage up and have a few bands on and have a few beer tents scattered around, Morris dancing as well? Think I might have just invented the folk festival

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

How much revenue is generated through the selling of tickets for the event plus all those people travelling in and out of London, I expect many stay for at least one night and buy food and drink as well.

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

How much revenue is generated through the selling of tickets for the event plus all those people travelling in and out of London, I expect many stay for at least one night and buy food and drink as well.

Not being spent on the homeless though, is it?

Then you get all these cities trying to out do each other as to who can put on the most extravagant show. Shame on them all.

9 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

A hundred thousand tickets at a tenner each? Cost way more than that for the fireworks. Who footed the huge bill for the many  extra police on duty? Don't suppose it will be possible to ever find the true cost be it gain or be it loss but its still an obscenity in 2017.

8 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Then you get all these cities trying to out do each other as to who can put on the most extravagant show. Shame on them all.

If every uk city put their money in the pot and everyone who bought tickets to go to them did the same and just stopped home for the evening as a good gesture a bit like giving to charity the millions and millions of pounds could be put to good use.

• Greenie 1

This is a rather reductive argument which could be applied to all manner of types of public spending:  sports centres?  Why not join fitness first?  libraries?  - Waterstones.  Museums and art galleries? - read/look at a book.  There is a good argument to be had for drastically shrinking the state, and in fact that's what's happened over the last 40 years.  The poverty gap has actually widened in that time though.  That's why its a misguided argument. 

Rough sleeping doesn't exist because of fireworks, it exists because we have a government who simply don't see dealing with it as any kind of priority.  

I hate fireworks and I hate even more the effect it has on my dogs.

Nov 5th and Dec 31st - I can plan for that, but unannounced fireworks at almost any time of year - not acceptable IMHO.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

33 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If every uk city put their money in the pot and everyone who bought tickets to go to them did the same and just stopped home for the evening as a good gesture a bit like giving to charity the millions and millions of pounds could be put to good use.

Now that is a suggestion which I support wholeheartedly.  Sadly it’s far too sensible for it to be implemented by the powers that be and the ‘I’m alright Jack’ brigade.

27 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

This is a rather reductive argument which could be applied to all manner of types of public spending:  sports centres?  Why not join fitness first?  libraries?  - Waterstones.  Museums and art galleries? - read/look at a book.   

And of course those pesky boaters should pay the full cost of running the canals which wouldn't need to be maintained in a navigable condition if they were only used by fishermen, walkers, cyclists, never-moving liveaboards etc.

17 hours ago, jenevers said:

No, you are not, but what about the tens of millions of public money wasted on the vanity garden bridge by Mr Khan's predecessor? 

The only memorable fireworks display I recall was in the Solent, not planned to be there, as I was doing something else, but it was memorable..

As a kid [1950's] I had gloves and sparklers, roman candles and catherine wheels in the garden., in those days it was a bit hit and miss, rockets in milk bottles.

Kids of any age could buy 1penny  bombers or 2penny bombers which were IMPRESSIVE.

Edited by LadyG

On 09/02/2018 at 14:11, LadyG said:

The only memorable fireworks display I recall was in the Solent, not planned to be there, as I was doing something else, but it was memorable..

As a kid [1950's] I had gloves and sparklers, roman candles and catherine wheels in the garden., in those days it was a bit hit and miss, rockets in milk bottles.

Kids of any age could buy 1penny  bombers or 2penny bombers which were IMPRESSIVE.

Tupp'ny Cannon dropped down a street drain, they were red and for me they were sticks of dynamite just like the cowboys on telly were throwing around or the goody tied up next to a bundle of them with the fuse slowly fizzing shorter. 

1 minute ago, nb Innisfree said:

Tupp'ny Cannon dropped down a street drain, they were red and for me they were sticks of dynamite just like the cowboys on telly were throwing around or the goody tied up next to a bundle of them with the fuse slowly fizzing shorter. 

Best of all was throwing a jumping jack among some girls, lots of screaming and squealing, sometimes with delight. I bet they grew up into proper smoking and beer swilling women. 

On 1/2/2018 at 17:25, jenevers said:

The business generated stops workers becoming homeless.

:)

• Greenie 1

On 1/2/2018 at 18:04, jenevers said:

I agree with your sentiment but doubt if the fireworks were cancelled the money saved would be spent on any thing that needs it

Whilst as an adult I DO agree that it's a waste of money that could (but most likely wouldn't be) better spent...

HOWEVER, as I was once (some think I still  am) a child, the wonderment of seeing a fireworks display is a memory that comes with you through life.  I'm from a big catholic family and we always had a fireworks party in my gran's field... everyone brought something  to share.... fireworks,food, drinks or whatever and they're lovely childhood memories.

16 hours ago, Quaysider said:

Whilst as an adult I DO agree that it's a waste of money that could (but most likely wouldn't be) better spent...

HOWEVER, as I was once (some think I still  am) a child, the wonderment of seeing a fireworks display is a memory that comes with you through life.  I'm from a big catholic family and we always had a fireworks party in my gran's field... everyone brought something  to share.... fireworks,food, drinks or whatever and they're lovely childhood memories.

Me 1959 loving bonfire night, happy days :)

larbooth.jpg

• Happy 2

5 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Me 1959 loving bonfire night, happy days :)

larbooth.jpg

You sure you didn't just set light to a hedge:)

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1