Beds

Featured Posts

We co own a 58’ boat which has a fixed 4’ bed with an extra ‘swab’ which can be inserted on the inside to increase the width. Additional we have a sofa bed(extends to 4’) and the dinette area also make a double bed. Technically it is a six berthboat and we use it for two adults plus a dog only .  Having slept separately for the period of our ownership we are now tackling the fixed double berth plus swab to widen.  The inside person is not very comfortable owing to the gap between the swab and the mattress what do other folk do?

Edited by Turbobert

1 hour ago, Turbobert said:

We co own a 58’ boat which has a fixed 4’ bed with an extra ‘swab’ which can be inserted on the inside to increase the width. Additional we have a sofa bed(extends to 4’) and the dinette area also make a double bed. Technically it is a six berthboat and we use it for two adults plus a dog only .  Having slept separately for the period of our ownership we are now tackling the fixed double berth plus swab to widen.  The inside person is not very comfortable owing to the gap between the swab and the mattress what do other folk do?

Crossbeds are the thing of the devil don't listen to ditchie :lol:  Lifes too short to have to put yer bed together every time you want to use it. Perhaps we could buy cookers and kitchen units we had to diasasemble and put back together each time we use them etc etc. We have a fixed 6ft 6inch by 4 ft 4 inch width bed. So its only two inches narrower than a standard double and 3 inches longer it doesn't intrude into the passage bit so its no problem. Mattress made to order by the Edwardian bedding company, superbly comfortable and they will make you any size or design you wish.

• Greenie 1

Fixed 6ft 6in by 4ft 7in here, so the passage is a little small but not to the extant that you notice it in daily usage. Takes precisely 0 minutes to assemble (I've measured it). Also have a dinette double available for visitors which gets to be a pain after just a week. 

List of some of the essential ingredients for a bad narrowboat:

• crossbed
  • cassette toilet (or any non-PO)
  • bowthruster
  • electric fridge
  • thump-thump engine
  • air-cooled engine
  • louvred windows
  • conservatory (the thing on the back)
  • exotic heating system (burning weird fuel / nuclear, etc)
  • inaccessible batteries ie where it is difficult to get close enough to worship them.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Crossbeds are the thing of the devil don't listen to ditchie :lol:  Lifes too short to have to put yer bed together every time you want to use it. Perhaps we could buy cookers and kitchen units we had to diasasemble and put back together each time we use them etc etc. We have a fixed 6ft 6inch by 4 ft 4 inch width bed. So its only two inches narrower than a standard double and 3 inches longer it doesn't intrude into the passage bit so its no problem. Mattress made to order by the Edwardian bedding company, superbly comfortable and they will make you any size or design you wish.

Do you or the misses make the bed every day, or do you just slide out in the morning and back in at night?

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do you or the misses make the bed every day, or do you just slide out in the morning and back in at night?

:o Thankfuly I am sat down!! Make a bed!!! I have a wife she does all such things like what women do. Washing, ironing, vacuuming, cleaning, locks etc etc.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:o Thankfuly I am sat down!! Make a bed!!! I have a wife she does all such things like what women do. Washing, ironing, vacuuming, cleaning, locks etc etc.

WIFE, I was once told,  stands for Washing, Ironing, F******g Etc  (Note it was NOT Mrs Hound who told me this). :P

Edited by cuthound
Spillung
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

She has a 3 ft bed and I have a 1ft bed. I think hers may be a tad wider to hold her ipad , hp, torch, tissues, eyeshades, earphones, clock and handbag.  I lie on my side and my big nose and my feet stop me rolling out.   Occasionally if we have relations, i take extra precautions.  I tie my leg to the wardrobe !

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Irob said:

She has a 3 ft bed and I have a 1ft bed. I think hers may be a tad wider to hold her ipad , hp, torch, tissues, eyeshades, earphones, clock and handbag.  I lie on my side and my big nose and my feet stop me rolling out.   Occasionally if we have relations, i take extra precautions.  I tie my leg to the wardrobe !

It appears to have taken you about 7 weeks to come up with that entertaining little post, so I feel it only right that someone should show some appreciation of your efforts!  :clapping::clapping:

1 hour ago, Irob said:

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

It appears to have taken you about 7 weeks to come up with that entertaining little post, so I feel it only right that someone should show some appreciation of your efforts!  :clapping::clapping:

I too applaud your efforts, but fail to see why inviting relations around causes you to tie your leg to the wardrobe. 

When our relations visit, they sleep neither in the wardrobe or the same bed, but get their very own room. :)

• Haha 1

On 23/02/2018 at 20:01, rusty69 said:

I too applaud your efforts, but fail to see why inviting relations around causes you to tie your leg to the wardrobe. 

When our relations visit, they sleep neither in the wardrobe or the same bed, but get their very own room. :)

Sorry but its a man,s joke, in a similar vein to tying a 4×2 across his buttocks. I hope I dont have to elaborate further, I blush easily !