Chimney chain

Cloudinspector

Featured Posts

Hi Mark

I’ve never tried, to be honest. No reason why they shouldn’t, a polishing mop and soap on a bench grinder should take the grunt out of it if needed, followed by hand work and your preferred metal polish. Adrian’s stuff is top notch! Cheers.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:34, Ray T said:

Interesting the emphasis on chimney chains being gas mask bag links. 

From discussing this with Mike Humphris, a boater from five generations of boaters, the use of links only came about from the mid to end of WWII when it was decided the threat of gas attacks was unlikely. The discarded bags were taken to Dickinson's paper mills at Croxley to be pulped down for paper. The brass attachments were stored in a separate building to be salvaged and melted down. The boaters used to raid this building and grab handfuls of links to either use themselves or sell to other boaters.

Prior to WWII chains from horse tackle were used. It seems today's historic boaters are not as interested in these although authentic on ex working boats, there are still some who do.

225549562_411beda06a_b[1].jpg

LJ5.jpg

sm_boatandbridge.jpg

33628250.jpg

DSCF4217.JPG

DSCF4218.JPG

painted-boats-12139_2.jpg

Mike's  description reminded me of how my Dad told of how he got his chain down to the grabbing a handful to make up to sell for beer money.

it seems it was common practice with a lot of boaters at the time there must have been loads of these chains around at the time but like many things they

it getting fewer 

Edited by jeannette smith harrison

58 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Are you all ready for the most important dilema re chimney chains?

Does the hooked link or "tang" face inward to chimney or outwards? ;)

Most "proper" boaters have the hook facing inwards. Simon Wain made me a chimley in which the chimley hook was a copy of the gas mask hook. So with this chimley I have the hook facing outwards.  But, at close of day does it really matter?

Top photo courtesy of Adrian Brindle, from Facebook

By Adrian Brindle.jpg24042009345a.jpg.d03c9de41b0662431201a6bc61f24e64.jpg

Rose Skinner (Jack).jpg.jpeg

Edited by Ray T

Just a quick message for those who want a black twisted chain might not be the best but should be ok try these

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHOKE-TRAINING-DOG-COLLAR-22-24-26-28-30-36-CHECK-CHAIN-DIF-CLRS/292413633310?var=591282990057&hash=item441535f31e:g:8PAAAOSwjytaYIHX

They are powder coated so should last fairly well.

Adrian and his wife popped in to see me today and showed me a complete chain - a item of beauty and so very much heavier than I thought it would be - a top quality item - those of you who have them on order will, without doubt, be delighted.

Mine just arrived. 8 Links weighs 9 oz.

Solid brass not rubbish bright or plated metal. 2mm brass plate and 3.5 mm rod for the rings.

Good customer service too.

image.png.236ea7dc206a0f14eb2e8c9a8e561524.png

image.png

Edited by mark99

Black chain has arrived looks good ill photo in a bit good a weighty feels solid, powder coating is strong but thin so dosnt feel plasticy dispite being thin coating dosnt just come off. Ill photo in a bit.

Time will tell how long will last but as its designed as a choke chain it must be semi hard wearing but as all its going to do is dangle i cant see it wearing that quick.

As promised some pics of the chain, after today decided the powder coating is very robust, very hard to scratch so think it will be very good durability.

20180204_180650.jpg

20180204_180722.jpg

The marks on the bottom ring were me with a pen knife to see how strong the powder coating was it took alot of effort to mark it.

Pics dont help but its a sort of satin gloss finish and is black some of the pics make it look a tad blue but this was down to the flash not the colour of the chain i can confirm its def black!

20180204_180713.jpg

20180204_180702.jpg

10 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

As promised some pics of the chain, after today decided the powder coating is very robust, very hard to scratch so think it will be very good durability.

That's a useful find.  I congratulate you for tracking this down.  I certainly didn't have any success when I was looking.

• 3 months later...