Chimney chain

Cloudinspector

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Chop! said:

That dog chain is plated base metal I'm afraid to tell you! Hope you didn't buy it!

it's been fine so far in the rain + if it ages then all the better

On 04/02/2018 at 19:10, billybobbooth said:

As promised some pics of the chain, after today decided the powder coating is very robust, very hard to scratch so think it will be very good durability.

20180204_180650.jpg

20180204_180722.jpg

The marks on the bottom ring were me with a pen knife to see how strong the powder coating was it took alot of effort to mark it.

Pics dont help but its a sort of satin gloss finish and is black some of the pics make it look a tad blue but this was down to the flash not the colour of the chain i can confirm its def black!

20180204_180713.jpg

20180204_180702.jpg

What are you using for the bottom chain retainer Brass goal post shaped bracket & couple of brass rivets If you relieve the top/bottom edges of the cross piece out slightly it wont damage your chain so much

After a very short search I found the old brass chain seen in the photograph below on Ebay for £10.00 plus £2.90 postage and packing. Being old this is a high quality brass chain and is about 1.5 metres in length, so as can be seen it is long enough to protect both the Chimney and the Water Can. When purchased it was filthy and required considerable T.L.C., and came with eleven older horse brasses wired to it (even though I am not a fan of horse brasses).

I am afraid my philosophy is to buy quality rather than just what is available, and I can prove over and over again that there is no need to pay high prices for this sort of quality - but sometimes you have to wait a while. I also look for value (as opposed to price) and I am not afraid to support individuals who are prepared to make items such as Chimney Chains, Chimneys, Water Cans e.t.c. where the higher costs reflects both the quality of their raw materials, costs and labour.

The stainless steel Chimney (made by David Parrott) in this photograph is now refurbished as best it can be, and the brass is shining brightly (in my spare room), but along with many items on OTLEY is overdue for replacement - including the poorly designed woodwork above the speed / gear wheels :captain:

337645427_OTLEY@Braunston08May2018-cabintop(JacobHarrison).jpg.556e5106b81d0b2a4a1daddc276f0354.jpg 

• Greenie 2

No back cabin stove?

The attachment to the chimney does not looks 100% secure. You could slip it off the top hook bypassing padlock.?

I take a double turn round the lower chimney handle if securing.

6 hours ago, mark99 said:

No back cabin stove?

The attachment to the chimney does not looks 100% secure. You could slip it off the top hook bypassing padlock.?

I take a double turn round the lower chimney handle if securing.

There is a Classic stove in the cabin, although this is to be replaced with a new stove.

If somebody really wanted to pinch the water can of course they could do. The primary purpose of the brass chain is to stop the chimney falling into the canal should it get knocked, and this should still work even if the chain is not tight, with the secondary purpose being to stop the can from being swept overboard or from being knicked. It is almost impossible to have enough tension in the chain to stop it from being slipped off the top hook whilst still being able to tip the can - my can being used as a fresh water supply and not just decoration. If the chain provides a visible deterent to an opportunist thief then that is fine by me but I can not protect every item on the boat and have those items instantly accessible to me.

To be honest I am more concerned about items like ropes and fenders getting pinched (I had these pinched off BADSEY), but I will not loose a minutes sleep over them as I am not going to remove them every time I leave the boat :captain:  

edit - to be honest I have never chained a water can before as I have never felt a need to. The chain was so long that I was able to cover both the chimney and the can, and the padlock was the only thing I had available to link it together with. That brass chain will not be my normal chimney chain as I bought it with another purpose in mind, and it is unlikely that I will use a padlock to secure the chimney chain in position once I have got everything else in place.

Edited by pete harrison

12 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

don't worry pete. it will be finished one day just like the Fourth bridge

I am not worried as all being well it will leave its current location pretty much sorted. I am just disappointed that the person that went to all the effort of removing the stove has so little to show for it :captain: 

On 31/05/2018 at 20:58, Ray T said:

Nice. Looks like Butchers Bridge?

18 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, I'd agree with you Ray.

I thought Ray's question was rhetorical, hence no answer from me - especially as when clicking on the image it is titled as being at Braunston :captain: 

9 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I thought Ray's question was rhetorical, hence no answer from me - especially as when clicking on the image it is titled as being at Braunston :captain: 

Apologies Pete. No title shows up on this tablet when you click the image. I remarked as we moored in that very spot on Friday to go up the butchers.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Apologies Pete. No title shows up on this tablet when you click the image. I remarked as we moored in that very spot on Friday to go up the butchers.

Apology not required.

I regretted tying in that spot as there was an over active birds nest directly above the engine room, and my goodness did they make a mess :captain:

12 hours ago, Chop! said:

Our newly finished chimneys from Adrian Brindle, our's are the three in front, and one of the tall exhaust stacks, the others and the gas mask chains are not for us.

IMG_2053.JPG

Is the half round metal on the top rim alloy or stainless steel ?

19 hours ago, Chop! said:

Our newly finished chimneys from Adrian Brindle, our's are the three in front, and one of the tall exhaust stacks, the others and the gas mask chains are not for us.

The other stack and the refurbished titch are mine, but I do not know who the chains are for :captain:

• 2 months later...