Handy for cloning parts

Featured Posts

I've been tinkering with this stuff I found online and thought I'd mention it here in case you guys need to maybe clone or botch make your own parts.

Oyumaru it's called. There are also other names for it, but Oyumaru is the one I bought and tested.

You take a small stick of it and plop it in boiling water for three minutes(ish) and it becomes all soft and squishy like warm blu-tac. Press an object into it (maybe a bit that's broke and you have both parts?) and let the Oyumaru set. Only takes a couple of minutes. Here's my test with a 2p coin using good ol' two-part putty pressed into the mould. It really keeps a lot of the detail and most things don't stick to the Oyumaru:

IMG_20171228_153721.jpg.bfd4639d09a70770f975ff26c6fb4096.jpg

You can obviously use it to make a two-part mould of something letting the first side dry before applying more Oyumaru to the other half.

The best part is: when you're done with the mould you just plop it back into boiling water and reuse it.

It's great stuff!

Even just for playing around with.  :D

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Which we used to use for taking impressions of the inside of gun barrels to monitor erosion caused by the hot gasses from cordite. 

My mum bought some from the chemist when I broke a tooth as a kid, just to protect it until I got to the dentist. It was a classic “Be careful, Tony”. “Oh I’ll be oka... Ouch!”

I first came across the plastic about 20 years ago when on a teaching course run by the 'Technology enhancement programme' or 'TEP'. They introduced it as a new 'smart' material and called it 'polymorph'. We were given a pack each and told to go away and try to find uses for it. We mostly used it for quick 3D modelling.

• 1 month later...
On 01/01/2018 at 21:39, Peter Reed said:

How much did it cost to forge a two pence coin?

It is expensive: I bought some for use in my [craft] modeling phase, but never really made anything useful, it is too slippery to paint.

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

May I ask what you used it for that you wanted to paint it?

model horse saddlery, the parts were 3 D not flat  eg western saddle, this proved tricky to model. 

Edited by LadyG