"Plain Text" Edit View

Iain_S

Featured Posts

Is there any chance of bringing back the "plain text" editing view, which shows the BB or HTML code contained within the post?

I had a problem with one post (Post 33 in the "Long Distance Tow thread) which displayed less than half the post when it was submitted. Editing revealed that the entire post was still there, but I was unable to do anything with it. From the format during the attempted edit, I deduced that I had left out one [ /quote ], which resulted in the rest of the post being treated as a quote, and I was unable to place the cursor anywhere useful.

In another forum I use, a similar thing is quite common, usually resulting from the edit of a quote, which reslts in the cursor being "trapped" within the quote box. Easily solved by switching to plain text view, and shifting the cursor to after the final [ /quote ]

The short answer is no.

As is becoming the trend elsewhere the forum uses a wysiwgy editor which allows ease formatting without the need to know BB code. Posts are stored as html, and you can switch to see the source code if so inclined.

It is possible to write or paste in BB code, which the editor can read and convert, but this is a one way process and once converted you cannot toggle back to the BB code.

A little sad for those the learnt and used BB code as you describe, however I must say I now find the new editior faster and more convenient.

Daniel

What I do is write using the WYSWYG editor and click "source" mode if I want to make any other funky amendments. Have a quick look at it and it should be easy to figure out how it has structured your post. If you know BBcode you can easily pick up basic html but yes, it's a shame BB code is seemingly becoming a thing of the past if it isn't already.

4 hours ago, DHutch said:

....you can switch to see the source code if so inclined....

4 hours ago, Iain_S said:

"Source mode" sounds very similar. Can't seem to find it though ...

It's possible that only admin users can access the source code. I have a recollection we turned it off, but in forget why.

Daniel

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2018 at 07:53, DHutch said:

It's possible that only admin users can access the source code. I have a recollection we turned it off, but in forget why.

Would it be possible to allow members to toggle between the rich text editor and code? 

I would make sure not to allow HTML code to be posted by members, due to someone being able to inject malicious code into a post. But, direct BBC code would be safe to allow.

8 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

:stop: Could someone please explain what this thread is about, and do I need to know??:banned:

There is an option to allow members to toggle between rich text editing, or to type in raw code (plain text editing) so members (those of us who are familiar with BBC, anyway) may alter posts easier. Currently, this option is not allowed. 

Edited by Asia_Off_Grid

28 minutes ago, Asia_Off_Grid said:

There is an option to allow members to toggle between rich text editing, or to type in raw code (plain text editing) so members (those of us who are familiar with BBC, anyway) may alter posts easier. Currently, this option is not allowed. 

I'm thinking David isn't going to have a clue what "raw code" is, and will think "BBC" is where he gets his news and TV programs from, so I'm not sure your explanation will enlighten him much!

David, if you are happy with the options you currently get to create and edit posts, no, you simply don't need to know!

• Greenie 1

On 07/02/2018 at 09:30, alan_fincher said:

I'm thinking David isn't going to have a clue what "raw code" is, and will think "BBC" is where he gets his news and TV programs from, so I'm not sure your explanation will enlighten him much!

David, if you are happy with the options you currently get to create and edit posts, no, you simply don't need to know!

Same here. I appreciate the BBC and think we are very lucky to have the BBC for such a low licence fee. 

It would however, be very nice to be able to paste text copied from elsewhere (another website for example) and not  have the font size, colour etc applied too. I see there is an option to paste without formatting but pasting without formatting should in my opinion be the default. 

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Same here. I appreciate the BBC and think we are very lucky to have the BBC for such a low licence fee. 

It would however, be very nice to be able to paste text copied from elsewhere (another website for example) and not  have the font size, colour etc applied too. I see there is an option to paste without formatting but pasting without formatting should in my opinion be the default. 

I would say it's easier for you with your skills to remove the formatting by pasting properly than for someone inexperienced to recreate the formatting from somewhere else. The default is correct

Richard

On 07/02/2018 at 10:13, RLWP said:

I would say it's easier for you with your skills to remove the formatting by pasting properly than for someone inexperienced to recreate the formatting from somewhere else. The default is correct

Richard

But that is my point. When does the formatting EVER need to be copied across along with the text? Never!

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But that is my point. When does the formatting EVER need to be copied across along with the text? Never!

How about when it is information in tabular form?

In the past such information was rendered virtually unreadable by pasting into a post, as what should appear in columns was all compacted together.

There are some circumstances where retaining the original formatting in an enormous improvement.