Compatible Oil to API CC 15/40 Spec

Quaysider

Featured Posts

I've done various searches this morning on here to try and  find an alternative /comparible oil but to no avail.....

On 'Ellis' we've got the Canaline 42 engine and are very pleased with it's performance /operation.

Having previously searched for cheaper filters and decided whilst it's in warranty to use the Daedong ones specified by the marinisers, sourcing Oil continues to be a pain.

Whilst we had an address, I was buying morris golden film in 25 litre containers and using that - now we've got a tenant at the house, it feels a bit rude to keep having things delivered so I'm TRYING to find a suitable alternative oil I can buy from Halfords or wherever off the shelf.

Whatever I read, about specs, just goes on to say that subsequent oils meet or exceed the specs and can therefore be used... this is not however endorsed by Engine's plus.

WHAT do other Canaline/Izuzu owners use in their engines? - it's easy enough to FIND the "proper" spec stuff but it does seem a bit pricey compared to motor-factor type places if you follow.

Morris will deliver those 25 litre drums directly to your boat.  Get moored in a suitable spot where you can stay for a couple of days, use Google to find the nearest postcode, phone Morris and describe your location, they will also look on Google earth and arrange a delivery. Request that the delivery driver phones you half hour before he arrives (this bit dosn't always work). One one occasion a manager made a personal delivery because he was going to be in that area and it was interesting.

I do find decanting the 25 litre drums into a collection of 5 litre pots a bit tedious though.

A few good motor factors will stock 15:40 CC.

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think Comma Premium (in the green can - not Motorway in the blue can) is still available in 20W50 API CC and if nothing else was available I would use that.

Larger branches of Wilko sell 20W50 CC in 5litre cans.

Edited by David Mack

No one in their right mind will say it is because he engine is still under guarantee and if anything untoward happened doing so will give the marinisers a "get out of jail free card".  However if you asked me what I would do I think you can guess the answer.

I would be far more worried about using a higher API spec oil in an engine that might not be fully run in yet than I would using a  slightly more viscous one. I am far more relaxed about the API spec these days once the engine is well run in but would still go for the lowest easily obtainable for the boat.

• Greenie 1

I used to buy Morris Oil from Classic Oils in Aylesbury, and being able to collect it whilst visiting family. got it for less than delevered by Morris, another advantage was that it was in 5 litre cans instead of the at huge drum, have search around the internet, you may fine a similar supplier within reach of where you are.

Edited to add:- I have just checked the Classic Oils site, and they do not offer a multi purchase deal for thr Morris Marine 10/40 oil. (although you could ask!)

Edited by David Schweizer

Going back a few decades, to the days when car engines were much the same as most of our boat engines - i.e. agricultural pushrod engines: think MGB, - the oil of choice was a 20/50, seen as being vastly superior to a monograde.

Now those same engines are advised to be filled with a 15/40.

So what has changed?  I really can't see much significant difference between my marinised Mitshbishi and a 1800 BMC.  What oil is advised for all those marinised BMC engines  and similar?

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

And yet Beta, who used to say the same thing, now endorse more 'modern' oils including semi synthetic. One has to wonder.

Ah, but do they? I got strong words from them when I suggested something other than 15/40, and just looking on their site they still stick to 15W/40, though their own label now admits to CF spec (they used to stick to CD spec: as much as 15/40). Semi synth starts at 10W/40 - so are they being two faced - or giving into the fact that it's difficult to get 15/50?

Could you clarify?

20 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Ah, but do they? I got strong words from them when I suggested something other than 15/40, and just looking on their site they still stick to 15W/40, though their own label now admits to CF spec (they used to stick to CD spec: as much as 15/40). Semi synth starts at 10W/40 - so are they being two faced - or giving into the fact that it's difficult to get 15/50?

Could you clarify?

I didn't suggest they'd walked back on recommending 15w40, and for a the temperature range in the UK and the engine type I don't know why they would. I was just  saying they'd moved on in their view on from the old SF recommendations and were also now comfortable with semi synthetic oil.

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 09:47, Quaysider said:

I've done various searches this morning on here to try and  find an alternative /comparible oil but to no avail.....

On 'Ellis' we've got the Canaline 42 engine and are very pleased with it's performance /operation.

Having previously searched for cheaper filters and decided whilst it's in warranty to use the Daedong ones specified by the marinisers, sourcing Oil continues to be a pain.

Whilst we had an address, I was buying morris golden film in 25 litre containers and using that - now we've got a tenant at the house, it feels a bit rude to keep having things delivered so I'm TRYING to find a suitable alternative oil I can buy from Halfords or wherever off the shelf.

Whatever I read, about specs, just goes on to say that subsequent oils meet or exceed the specs and can therefore be used... this is not however endorsed by Engine's plus.

WHAT do other Canaline/Izuzu owners use in their engines? - it's easy enough to FIND the "proper" spec stuff but it does seem a bit pricey compared to motor-factor type places if you follow.

I have an Isuzu 65 (canaline ) same oil.

I get my oil from a chap in Brighouse, he supplies Exol products and keeps in stock the API CC oil.

Richard Parker.

Oilswelll Ltd.

421 Elland Road

Brighouse

HD6 2RG

Hope this helps.

http://www.oilswell.com/  

Edited by Bazza954
add web site

On 12/31/2017 at 12:50, David Schweizer said:

I used to buy Morris Oil from Classic Oils in Aylesbury, and being able to collect it whilst visiting family. got it for less than delevered by Morris, another advantage was that it was in 5 litre cans instead of the at huge drum, have search around the internet, you may fine a similar supplier within reach of where you are.

Edited to add:- I have just checked the Classic Oils site, and they do not offer a multi purchase deal for thr Morris Marine 10/40 oil. (although you could ask!)

Just to be clear Classic Oils are no longer at the Aylesbury location, and have moved to one on the outskirts of Bicester.

They do offer a discount on a purchase of 4.

Priced at £23.95 individually would equate to 4 for £95.80, but if you click on the "4 x 5 litres" option the price shows as £86, so a saving of nearly £10

https://www.classic-oils.net/Morris-Classic-Marine-10w40

23 hours ago, dor said:

Going back a few decades, to the days when car engines were much the same as most of our boat engines - i.e. agricultural pushrod engines: think MGB, - the oil of choice was a 20/50, seen as being vastly superior to a monograde.

Now those same engines are advised to be filled with a 15/40.

So what has changed?  I really can't see much significant difference between my marinised Mitshbishi and a 1800 BMC.  What oil is advised for all those marinised BMC engines  and similar?

For the BMC 1500 & 1800 engines at UK temperatures virtually all the originally recommended oils were either 20W/50 or 15W/50, (I doubt you would easily now find the latter).

10W/40 was only a recommendation for the temperature range -20 to 10 degrees C (-5 to 50 degrees F), so strictly only for use in the UK in winter.

My 15W40 engine oil of choice is Shell Rimula RT4X

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/shell-transport/2300-shell-rimula-rt4-x-15w-40/

However that doesn't resolve your request for a local supplier.

Whether Halfords is strictly correct I could not say as the specification notes on their website seem a little sparse

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-15w40-mineral-petrol-diesel-oil-5l

13 minutes ago, MartynG said:

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/shell-transport/2300-shell-rimula-rt4-x-15w-40/

Whether Halfords is strictly correct I could not say as the specification notes on their website seem a little sparse

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-15w40-mineral-petrol-diesel-oil-5l

Both of those oils are API CF, so no use to the OP.

19 minutes ago, MartynG said:

As David says this would be a most unsuitable oil for a Canaline 42.

The manual states......

Engines Plus Ltd recommends oil to the following specifications...

API CC or CD specification is used in Canaline 38, 42, 52 & 60 Marine engines.

Its to do with the amount of additives and the type. Higher spec oils use more/different additives and the additive load seems to have been implicated in some cases of bore glazing. However once run in well and as long as you static charge with revs on and make the opportunity to give the engine a bit of a thrash now and again I suspect that little harm will result from using API CF in place of CC. The trouble is exactly what is in a given oil is not known to the vast majority of people and inland boating with all t entails re engine loads etc. is a very niche area.

Just now, MartynG said:

Why is a higher grade not acceptable?

Detergent additives?  There’s also talk of bore glazing being more prevalent with cool running old technology diesels using the more modern oils designed for hotter running turbo charged engines. 

There was a thread about it six years ago here:

I see Tony B beat me to it. 

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Why is a higher grade not acceptable?

There have been countless threads on this in the past which explain why you should not use an oil with a "higher" SAE rating than a manufacturer recommends.

I would say beyond anything else avoiding bore glazing is a key issue.

It wasn't even obvious to me that the Shell oillisted was actually a mineral oil - is it, or might it contain synthetics?

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I see Tony B beat me to it. 

Me too, but at least you have found a previous thread!