Dutch cruiser constant cruise around london

Tara1234

Featured Posts

On 01/01/2018 at 17:26, Tara1234 said:

Ok thanks for this advice it doesn't seam like anything I can afford will be mych of an upgrade. My current boat is having a cabin built on the middle section. I might see if I can sort the layout out in a way that makes me comfortable and then sort out the gas/water and leeks.

Current boat is 27ft x 7ft amd is a center cockpit norman cruiser.

If anyone lives on something like this id like advise as to how I could make it livable. 

Google Norman boat owners forum[NBAS]  Loads of information and advice on Norman boat ownership.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2017 at 19:09, Tara1234 said:

I need a boat that I can live on for 10 years at least, preferably with little maintenance.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks-jet-skis/houseboat/1279797203

I'm afraid that no one buys a boat thinking it will need a lot of maintenance: they will learn.

I used to budget £600pa just to keep my 30ft GRP blue water yacht up to scratch, that's just regular maintenance. 

Professional Service: engine [cash in hand] £250 every year ... obviously I could do the basics myself: oil, filters, belts, winches, running rigging, bearings, seacocks,  anodes, changing lightbulbs!

Professional electrics £600 every four years, using a good professional will save you money in the long term.

Minor engineering £300 every three years.

Professional re-furbishment every five years £500, soft furnishings, canopy etc.

With a steel boat you are looking at £8 to £15k if you go for full professional strip and re-coating. This is not to say you need to do that [say every 10-12 years], but its an indicaton of the actual work involved, and the cost of the coatings.

The minimum is a blacking every 2-3 years at a cost of £500 to £800, so budget £300pa

Ten years is a long time in a modern working life, I would say 10 years for a house, but 5 for a boat, by that time you will probably get fed up with the maintenance[steel], or the condensation [grp].

I am sure others will dispute the figures, but if you are doing this to cut the costs of renting, and trying to save for a deposit in bricks and mortar, you must be realistic with your income and expediture.

Edited by LadyG

I hesitate to interfere, but there are jobs in other cities, town, villages, and less pressure on housing,.

I bought bricks and mortar as soon as I could because other housing was cr&p, I have lived in cold flats, wet flats, and the rest.

All in all, best to build a career and get a good job. 

The bank of Dad is limited, and you might be better moving back home than living in a squat.

There are loads of career opportunities for good people but you need to find them, they are not offered on a plate. 

Edited by LadyG

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2017 at 15:43, Steilsteven said:

Depends on how well insulated it is, my guess is that that one has none.

The Dutch cruiser is likely to be insulated but you'd have to check that. 

Keith

The problem is that even if it's insulated, with a ratio of that much glass (assuming single glazed) to steel then the insulation isn't doing very much.

I'd be looking for something with fewer or smaller windows.  

On 31/12/2017 at 18:49, Tara1234 said:

what do people tgink of the grp widebeam? Its thick grp but still fibreglass isnt as strong as steel.

Broads and Caribbean GRP cruisers can make good liveaboard boats and probably provide the best space for cost. If your budget is limited that's where I'd be looking.

On 31/12/2017 at 19:09, Tara1234 said:

I need a boat that I can live on for 10 years at least, preferably with little maintenance.

Then I'm afraid you'll seriously need a rethink about the lifestyle. Living on boats is all about maintenance, both reactive and preventative. Even if you bought a brand new boat it will need some maintenance and an old boat will need LOTS of it!