Bms cut out

Philh1975

Featured Posts

Hi all 

I have a 1.5 diesel bmc engine it had been submerged in water i have removed all water put in new oil and filter I got it running and ran for ten or 15 minutes engine sounded better than it ever did then got really smokey from exhaust and lost power then cut out it won't start now at all turning over ok on starter any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks

Air lock in the fuel system, bleed it through.

Alternatively, I once found after resurrecting someone's drowned engine that in order to remove all water it can take two or three changes of oil and filters.

Possibly moisture in the fuel system has blocked your new filter or even gotten as far the pump.

2 minutes ago, Philh1975 said:

Would I be better to drain entire fuel system change filters and start fresh 

Yes, that might get it to start

I don't like the sound of:

then got really smokey from exhaust and lost power then cut out

Which sounds really bad, except you said:

all turning over ok on starter

so it isn't seized

Richard

15 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

how long was it submerged? 

It sound fuel related but if it had been submerged a while it could be mud and sediment heating up and smoking in the exhaust as the engine still turns over?

Dan

It could be gearbox related too, which would explain the black smoke

Richard

Is there a chance that water entered the fuel tank? I bought a boat a few years ago as a project that had sunk to the gunnels and I had to drain and fill the tank with fresh diesel as it had several gallons of water in .... just thinking if yours is the same you could have run on what was in the pipes and the fuel filter then after 10 minutes drawn water from the tank.

I would put a seperate supply of clean diesel to the engine, change the fuel filter and air filter, obviously ensuring the inlet manifold is clear and dry and then bleed it through then try it, but dont keep spinning it the way it is as if you do and there is a build up of water you run the risk of hydrolocking it and causing serious damage.

Rick

I would get a gallon of new diesel in a container then with a combination of pipes/tubes/hoses feed the engine from that, bleed it again and again and change filters as often as you have to. That's what I had to do with a bad case of water in the fuel and the thing had not been underwater.

14 hours ago, Philh1975 said:

Hi all 

I have a 1.5 diesel bmc engine it had been submerged in water i have removed all water put in new oil and filter I got it running and ran for ten or 15 minutes engine sounded better than it ever did then got really smokey from exhaust and lost power then cut out it won't start now at all turning over ok on starter any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks

As others have said it sounds like water in the diesel. It won't take much to stop an engine.

You should have a sedimentation bowl. Have you looked at it? Is it full of water? Same for fuel filter.

I might open the tap and check the quality of fuel/water with the sedimentation bowl removed and collect the fluid into a glass to check fuel quality.

As others have said, it might be a smart thing to remove the water from the fuel system using known good fuel and thorough priming. I wouldn't want any water staying in the pump for any length of time. It will cause rust.

Thanks to everyone for comments and advice I'll be going to try new fuel on Tuesday so I will let u all know the outcome and maybe need some more advice so again many thanks have a great hogmanay  (new yrs eve in Scotland lol)

Phil.

If water has got into the injector pump this is one time I would bleed it from the top of the governor "turret". After bleeding the body I would take the whole screw out of the turret and give it a good flush. It seems a ridiculously small drop of water can stop the hydraulic governor from working. I have had to remove the turret more than once, prime with it of to flush the pump and refit the turret when water has got into the pump.

• Greenie 1

Hi all

took off water separator full of water drained tank fuel seriously contaminated with water. water bn pulled through whole fuel system drained entire system took injectors out all containing water didn't have enough time to bleed system. putting new filters and fuel in at weekend any suggestions or tips before or for bleeding 

Thanks again phil.

As above. If this is your first time at bleeding a BMC 1.5 or 1.8 then be very methodical and take your time especially when bleeding the injector pump. They have a habit of trapping air in the pipes so you think you have bled it but it then starts and dies because the air has worked it way into the pump. I always say that when  you think that you have purged the air from the injector pump keep priming or at least another 60 seconds, often more air will appear.

Have you had the top off the lift pump and cleaned the strainer/sediment trap that most, but not all BMCs have? Do not remove the rubber "O ring" type capo seal. They swell and can not be put back in (may not be such a problem now we have been on low sulphur diesel for years.

If you can not get fuel into the injector pump there is another strainer under the large hexagon the feed to the pump attaches to. Do not mess with this unless you really can not get fuel into the pump. If you do need to take it out take care &  extreme cleanliness. There is a valve in there with a pair of small springs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all just like to say a big thank you to all who helped out i got the engine running yesterday I was doing it last week but guy gave me wrong fuel filter but thanks for all advice and tips by back soon have property seal and bearing needing done now lol 

Thanks phil.