Second problem of the day....

locostmike

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, locostmike said:

I need to get my fuel tank cleaned

In true oblique internet stylee, Why do you think this?

8 minutes ago, locostmike said:

I think it had some old diesel along with new fuel, maybe bug, debris, who knows.

Well if you don't know, why do you think it needs cleaning? Do you have money to burn? Have you had a problem with the engine? A cursory 'fuel polish' is a hundred or two and is mainly cosmetic (in my personal pinion). A proper tank drain, old fuel disposal, mechanical clean and steam clean may well run into four figures.

The tank hasn't had fresh fuel, because it wasn't needed, for probably 5 years. We narrowed down the reason for the eberspacher not working to fuel, I rigged up a temporary tank with fresh fuel and it works fine. As I say, I don't know specifically what the issue is, maybe just draining the tank and refilling with fresh fuel will do the job.......? 

1 minute ago, locostmike said:

The tank hasn't had fresh fuel, because it wasn't needed, for probably 5 years. We narrowed down the reason for the eberspacher not working to fuel, I rigged up a temporary tank with fresh fuel and it works fine. As I say, I don't know specifically what the issue is, maybe just draining the tank and refilling with fresh fuel will do the job.......? 

Hmmmm quite probably I'd say. Although I'm not convinced diesel goes 'off' with age, unlike petrol which definitely does. 

I'd start by sraining off a litre or two from the tank via the diesel draw-off pipe and put it in a glass or clear container, hold it to the light and make sure it is crystal-red-clear and sparkly. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Another suggestion is use a Pela pump with a rigid tube 'wand' on the end to suck out a few litres of dregs from the very bottom of the tank. 

And I keep misreading your username as "locustmike" lol!

used to do that twice a year as a matter of course. ........... I always found a cupful of watery sludge.

20 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

used to do that twice a year as a matter of course. ........... I always found a cupful of watery sludge.

Much as you might expect. 

When you have a jar three parts full of black sludge, you've got diesel bug

Richard

You aren't overly clear about your predicament.

I'm guessing this tank also feeds your engine, thus leaving you immobile?

If so then you need a mobile contractor to come out to you and there's no value in my saying that Rose Narrow Boats at Stretton Stop have a man with a pump able to extract the muck from the bottom of your tank.

3 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

If so then you need a mobile contractor to come out to you and there's no value in my saying that Rose Narrow Boats at Stretton Stop have a man with a pump able to extract the muck from the bottom of your tank.

Those crafty folk have a van, equipped with all a man could desire (I have lusted over their van), so they may be able to visit and do the dirty deed

Richard

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I'll get them to drop round

Ha ha so kind! :D

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh stop that, you're married!

It's only the van I'm interested in ....... :giggles:

Has the OP said if he has replaced the heater's fuel filter and inspected it. Ditto the engine filter(s)? That would normally give an indication of dirty fuel. Polishing the fuel will not solve a clogged filter problem - over the last few days it might even be waxing but I doubt it on a boat unless it was very exposed.

Edited by Tony Brooks

W

i was told years ago that steel tanks overtime will suffer from rust internally due to condensation which eventually due to vibration will detach and fall to the bottom forming a sludge. When filling a nearly empty tank this gets stirred up and some held in suspension finding its way into the filter. Where ever possible keep the tank as full as possible especially in Winter when engine rooms warm the tank then cooling forms the condensation. Over the years I`ve had a number of classic car tanks (when steel was more than 1mm thick) cut open and cleaned then re-welded.They were of course removable.