Keeping up appearances while on a GRP

forsberg

Featured Posts

I'd quite happily consider faffing around in a plastic tub w/o an on-board shower , thats what we do in Sweden.

But to keep SWMBO happy a shower every second day are compulsory,  could be stretched for a day with a dip in the sea.

English canals are not suited for washing yourself in as I understand it so how good are the chances of finding a public shower within walking distance of the cut?

I dont mind paying for the privilage, up here we usually visit a marina to get freshened up and do the washing, using money saved on not roaming around in a steel bucket.

Would the Nicholson maps be of any help? Or are there a better source like a ramblers guide?

I’d say a proper shower is a primary driver for grp boats falling from favour on the cut over the last 50 years, notwithstanding the existence of the sketchy network of public showers. 

The few public showers I’ve ever inspected would leave me feeling dirtier after than before if I used one.  

thousands of boaters manage by having an all-over body wash, often at the kitchen sink. ....... swallow your pride, close the cabin door and the blinds/curtains, fill the kitchen sink with hot water, have a bowl of clean water on the drainer, and get scrubbing. ...........  you will need a floor drain to take the splashes away.

52 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I’d say a proper shower is a primary driver for grp boats falling from favour on the cut over the last 50 years, notwithstanding the existence of the sketchy network of public showers. 

The few public showers I’ve ever inspected would leave me feeling dirtier after than before if I used one.  

They are a bit hit and miss. The one in Ripon was by far the cleanest we have used. Exceptionally clean.

Others are quite scruffy.

We tend to use the shower on the boat. But on occasion when staying somewhere for more then 24 hours and we have no hot water then we do use CRT showers. 

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

They are a bit hit and miss.

I'd say south of Braunston CRT showers are also virtually non-existant. 

But then I don't look out for them, having a decent shower and unlimited hot water in all of my boats ;)

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Not a lot west or north either (in two or three days cruising) but there are loads of Marinas you could get showers at, but at a cost.

Same down here. Marinas dotted about with showers but still not close enough together to rely on being open when you both need a shower and can get there. Marinas also tend to have the attitdue that their showers are for their moorers, not any old random hoi poloi arriving on their service wharf.

A pair of bath sandals makes wonders ignoring gritty floors ;) As my wife has a full set of voluptuous hair the sink option is not that practical, granted the kitchen top and windows/roof would get a good scrubbing too in the process, also I do know whos job it will be cleaning the plumbing.

Would Marinas allow you to use the facilites (at a cost) even if you have to moor outside due to lack of visitor moorings?

Edited by forsberg

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say south of Braunston CRT showers are also virtually non-existant. 

But then I don't look out for them, having a decent shower and unlimited hot water in all of my boats ;)

We have a decent shower, two in fact. So not a problem if we have been cruising that day.

We just don't have hot water on the odd occasion we stay put more than one day. We could run the engine all day in neutral and it wouldn't heat the water. It needs to be moving to heat it or plugged in.

Waterproof box, 2 foot by3 foot, 2 shower curtains, bucket of hot water from kettle and a jug. 

Or bucket of hot water jug, toilet tent on the towpath. 

I also use CaRT facilities and swimming pools etc, if you say you just want a shower it is often at a much reduced rate. 

CRT showers, definitely flip-flops for the floors and to get through the standing cold water, and a torch for dealing with the lights going out, and a hardy spirit for dealing with the shower suddenly going cold. Getting the shower working on my boat was a truly great day.