honest ebay advert?

roland elsdon

Featured Posts

Looks like a scam. There’s only the one photo, even though the listing says it has a clean interior. 

It is the seller’s first listing which doesn’t inspire confidence. In fact the sellers name virtually reads Rogue Horse. 

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Narrow boat

9.140 meters long. Buoyancy Aids.
£8,000.00

Ending 1 Jan at 8:22AM GMT8d 2hCollection in person

Overly pessimistic seller I suggest

Looks a straightfoward enough listing to me. It’s an auction with £8k as a starting price, not “buy it now”.  Not unrealistic or pessimistic for a tiny boat. 

Those wondering about a scam, I don’t see that either. The bloke isn’t demanding payment before delivery. He is even saying he doesn’t accept PayPal! 

It must be my perverse sense of humour that makes me think that the first thing you put on the advert for your boat ( not the description )is 

Narrow boat

£8,000.00

Ending 1 Jan at 8:22AM GMT8d 2hCollection in person

either that or this boags premium light I am drinking it being 19.50 on Christmas Eve is not light...

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

It must be my perverse sense of humour that makes me think that the first thing you put on the advert for your boat ( not the description )is 

Narrow boat

£8,000.00

either that or this boags premium light I am drinking it being 19.50 on Christmas Eve is not light...

You are speaking from the future?

I did see the droll side to advertising a very cheap boat and assuring readers that it had buoyancy aids. It appears to be well equipped with meters too; perhaps one puts 50p pieces into them to make it go.

I am indeed in the future, and when I come home I shed time on the big silver bird that brings me from the antipodes to my beautiful boat in England. Currently I am sitting under the carport of a house we are sitting in rural Victoria, looking at our Australian boat equivalent. It's bloody cold, and not exotic, but I got  paid enough by slaving here for 4 months to live for the other 8 without working. A VW camper is our home here better facilities than our boat.....

7 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I am indeed in the future, and when I come home I shed time on the big silver bird that brings me from the antipodes to my beautiful boat in England. Currently I am sitting under the carport of a house we are sitting in rural Victoria, looking at our Australian boat equivalent. It's bloody cold, and not exotic, but I got  paid enough by slaving here for 4 months to live for the other 8 without working. A VW camper is our home here better facilities than our boat.....

Sorry, I had not realised that you were Down Under where you're a day ahead of us. I know that because Australia start to beat us in the next Test Match tonight, not tomorrow, even though it's billed as the Boxing Day Test.

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

On reflection the advert reads as though drafted by someone who knows nothing about boats.  Inherited it, possibly. 

I thought that when he stated its length in metres. Despite decades of attempts at metrication in this country, most boaters will refer to a boat's length in feet. What would "9.140 metres" be - 30 feet?

Edited by Athy

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Believe me where we are we are only a day ahead by the Gregorian calendar in all other aspects it is about 20 years behind apart from in the consumption of psychotropic substances. That's why they paid me such a lot to educate them.

...and that has educated me, in that until now I had never heard oif "psychotropic" substances. I have looked them up and found that they are nothing to do with the climate. Surely in Ozz the principal substances used for altering the mind come in cans labelled Swan, Foster's etc?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol I see what you mean. He must be  expecting it to sink at any minute! 

On reflection the advert reads as though drafted by someone who knows nothing about boats.  Inherited it, possibly. 

He does have 3 other boaty things for sale.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Sorry, I had not realised that you were Down Under where you're a day ahead of us. I know that because Australia start to beat us in the next Test Match tonight, not tomorrow, even though it's billed as the Boxing Day Test.

I thought that when he stated its length in metres. Despite decades of attempts at metrication in this country, most boaters will refer to a boat's length in feet. What would "9.140 metres" be - 30 feet?

No, it's tomorrow night (the night of the 25th) here. Which is good because it delays defeat by a day.

39 minutes ago, frahkn said:

No, it's tomorrow night (the night of the 25th) here. Which is good because it delays defeat by a day.

You are perfectly correct on both points, yes.

39 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Its 359.84242".

Or 4mm under 30ft. :D

Ah, so 30 feet if you're selling it and 29 feet if you're renewing its licence.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

You are perfectly correct on both points, yes.

Ah, so 30 feet if you're selling it and 29 feet if you're renewing its licence.

No! A licence is purchased by the metre. So this boat gets rounded UP to 10m when licensing.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No! A licence is purchased by the metre. So this boat gets rounded UP to 10m when licensing.

Yes, I think you're right. As we have had the same boat for 11 years, I just pay the bill each year when it arrives and never look at the details on the form. If we got a new oine I suppose I would have to work out its length in metres, unless one of the few benefits of Brexit will be a return to more traditionally British measures.

23 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A C&RT license is based on length measured  in metric or imperial as you might prefer - see the following- not by the metre and not rounded up.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/31391-long-term-licence-fees-2017-2018.pdf.