Canals and Real ale

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

The Barlow and the Greyhound usually have a good selection, yes, do try those. The Anchor has the disadvantage of its bar being a looooong way above its cellar, so the beer (Badger brands last time I was in) does tend to come up a bit creamy. 

I'm surprised that you haven't sampled the ales in the Barlow.

I have, and frankly I've yet to be impressed. The beer in there is perfectly acceptable but not so good I would actually single out the Samuel Barlow as a pub to recommend specifically for the beer. 

I'd rather a pub sold one good ale well cellared, than 'a good selection'. A 'good selection' always strikes me as the enemy of good cellarsmanship*, given it reduces the turnover of them all.

* Is that a word?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have, and frankly I've yet to be impressed. The beer in there is perfectly acceptable but not so good I would actually single out the Samuel Barlow as a pub to recommend specifically for the beer. 

I'd rather a pub sold one good ale well cellared, than 'a good selection'. A 'good selection' always strikes me as the enemy of good cellarsmanship*, given it reduces the turnover of them all.

* Is that a word?

* I think "cellarmanship", so yes, approximately. I would suggest that a good cellarman should have the know-how to keep more than one beer well.

I hear what you're saying, but there can be downsides (is that a word?) Our local down the lane sells only one cask ale, Elgood's Cambridge Bitter. The landlord and landlady have been at the pub for over a decade and they keep the beer well. I enjoy it, but some customers don't, and will drink a bottled beer instead.

I have generally been at the Barlow only when the vintage boat gathering is on, at which time they get several more ales in than usual, usually racked up and dispensed directly from barrels in the upstairs bar. I've certainly enjoyed sampling a selection of them - not all have been to my taste, but that's only to be expected. 

They're all pretty good to decent. None exceptional. 

The Two Gates is a very busy pub, with a good turn over of beer. Half dozen choices, all good, perhaps best kept out of all ? And under £3 a pint. The back bar is friendly and not so foody. And you can't moor closer to a pub than this one. 

Maybe the Barlow too

Edited by Goliath
Add
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

And you can't moor closer to a pub than this one.

I've never been to the Two Gates, but The Cape takes some beating in the 'moor right outside' stakes. Each time I go there, I seem to find a space two ft longer than my boat, bang outside the door. Very kind of them to organise this. I've no idea how they know I'm passing but it always seems rude not to stop...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The Two Gates is a very busy pub, with a good turn over of beer. Half dozen choices, all good, perhaps best kept out of all ? And under £3 a pint. The back bar is friendly and not so foody. And you can't moor closer to a pub than this one. 

Maybe the Barlow too

I can only admire the dedicated research which is condensed into that post.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I can only admire the dedicated research which is condensed into that post.

:)

I know that stretch of canal quite well. Having had moorings at Alvecote, Glascote and Fazeley. 

And my favourite pub would be the three horseshoes at fazeley (not canalside) but because I like a non fancy pint of bass in a non fancy good local pub.

49 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Maybe the Barlow too

Thank you very much for those pubs on the Coventry.  As a newbie I have watched loads of YouTube videos and the Coventry sounds very appealing.  Win win.

• Happy 1

The Coventry Canal is distinctly underrepresented in my Pub Cruise commentaries, but has the distinction of having the pub with the lowest score I've ever given - the Stag & Pheasant at Hartshill.  A truly awful place - or at least it was in 2014, in case I get sued for libel by a new landlord.

On 12/28/2017 at 16:28, Machpoint005 said:

All dogs are difficult to train properly, but that doesn't stop the f#ckwits from trying half-heartedly and then giving up. The same thing applies to children. 

Training dogs is easy, training people is the hard part.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Goliath said:

Have been trying to remember the canalside pubs on the cov canal. 

Swan at Fradley

Plough at Huddlesford(?)

Red Lion and Tame Otter at Hopwas

Three Tons(?) at Fazeley

Two Gates (?) at Two Gates (?)

Samuel Barlow at Alvecote

Bull at Polesworth

Anchor at Hartshill

Greyhound at Hawkesbury Jn

there must be more further towards coventry and in coventry, can anyone finish the list or add to it?

The Coventry canal is 38 miles long, it must be a good contender for having most pubs per mileage? I'd like to now if there is a better one!

Tried to stick strictly to canalside as OP asked. But could easily add 3 more at fazely within a few minutes walk, and then there's  Atherstone too.)

You missed out "The Gate" in Amington. However it is a bog standard Marsdens pub, so nothing to write home about.

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

You missed out "The Gate" in Amington. However it is a bog standard Marsdens pub, so nothing to write home about.

That's the one I've been calling the two gates! Wasnt sure, hence the question mark. I like that one, although as you say bog standard

22 hours ago, Goliath said:

Have been trying to remember the canalside pubs on the cov canal. 

Swan at Fradley

Plough at Huddlesford(?)

Red Lion and Tame Otter at Hopwas

Three Tons(?) at Fazeley

Two Gates (?) at Two Gates (?)

Samuel Barlow at Alvecote

Bull at Polesworth

Anchor at Hartshill

Greyhound at Hawkesbury Jn

there must be more further towards coventry and in coventry, can anyone finish the list or add to it?

The Coventry canal is 38 miles long, it must be a good contender for having most pubs per mileage? I'd like to now if there is a better one!

Tried to stick strictly to canalside as OP asked. But could easily add 3 more at fazely within a few minutes walk, and then there's  Atherstone too.)

The Two gates is actually The Gate at Amington. Nice enough pub with standard but good pub food.

the Plough at Huddlesford does a good breakfast!

Tim

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

The Two gates is actually The Gate at Amington. Nice enough pub with standard but good pub food.

the Plough at Huddlesford does a good breakfast!

Tim

What adds to the confusion,  is that there is a part of Tamworth actually called Two Gates. 

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/local/two-gates-tamworth

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect

On 31/12/2017 at 12:42, cuthound said:

What adds to the confusion,  is that there is a part of Tamworth actually called Two Gates. 

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getoutside/local/two-gates-tamworth

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22682527183&searchurl=isbn%3D0877429820%26sortby%3D17

Tim

37 minutes ago, D. W. Walker said:

The area of Tamworth called "Two Gates" was famous as the location of the Reliant car factory, of Robin and Scimitar fame.

Like much of British industry, a housing estate now.

Here is an aerial photograph of the Ketlebrook site, next to the Glascote Locks. 

http://www.reliant.website/aerial.shtml