Entertainment for boaters on the Llangollen

Chasbo

Featured Posts

Nothing compared to this but moored at Tattershall Bridge on the Witham a few years ago a police car came along the lane and attempted to turn down a track to a farm. Abiut a 135° turn but the farm track dropped away quire steeply. The police car cut the corner and ended up balanced on the floor pan with all wheels off the ground. In this case simply rectified. The farmer got his tractor and dragged if off. 

Let's hope the driver gets done for ignoring the weight limit signs and the residents get their private road repaired by the vehicles' owners.

Enough damage gets done to CRT-owned bridges by lorries ignoring restrictions, and it usually means that we, through CRT, have to pay for the damage.

I like the final sentence of the Shropshire Star's article:

She also added that locals were on hand to look after the stranded drivers, with bacon sandwiches and cups of tea, before they slept in their vehicles overnight

They evidently know how to look after people with a diet appropriate to their occupational stereotype up there.
  • Haha 1

Nothing wrong indeed, there is bacon in my fridge and I'm a heavy tea drinker, but I've never driven a lorry. However I have driven its ancestor, a loaded pair, so I suppose that counts. Bacon sandwiches and tea work very well as food on the go when boating, the main difficulty being to get them from the butty galley to the steerer while still hot when towing on a line on a canal with narrow locks. There are ways, but it isn't easy.

The locals were all out taking photos, we  passed the first lorry who had tried to turn round and the came to the bridge where the second one was stuck, his offside front was right in the ditch. He didnt touch the bridge at all, I thought they had come from the nearby farm not following sat nav. I guess the chap in the second photo didn't get home that night

DSCF9970small.jpg

DSCF9969small.jpg

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

Nothing wrong with a bacon roll and cup of tea.  In fact that - with a couple of slices of tomato - is my favourite cruising lunch - and if no bacon, fried spam from the emergency rations shelf is more than acceptable.

So that's bread, spam, tomato, and bread?

Seems a bit frugal on the spam after having gone to the trouble of opening an emergency tin. Have you considered bread, spam, tomato, spam and bread? Or maybe bread, spam, tomato, spam, tomato, spam and bread? Course, if you don't save your spam for emergencies only, you could have bread, spam, bacon, spam, tomato, spam and bread, but I'd be concerned that it might attract the singing vikings...

Used to drive a mobile library around there and its a really difficult area, tiny roads, soft verges, farm tracks. Nightmare with a big vehicle but there are milk tankers, fuel vehicles, animal feed lorries and all sorts trying to get to farms and things.

2 hours ago, Bee said:

Used to drive a mobile library around there and its a really difficult area, tiny roads, soft verges, farm tracks. Nightmare with a big vehicle but there are milk tankers, fuel vehicles, animal feed lorries and all sorts trying to get to farms and things.

I must say I think he got his line wrong and should have been able to have got round, its probably a tighter turn he made to get on to it.

On 24/12/2017 at 14:48, ditchcrawler said:

So he drove over the bridge too? Lucky the bridge builder had the foresight to predict a horse and cart might be replaced by heavier vehicles in times to come! It might still be best not to linger under that particular bridge for the foreseeable... 

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So he drove over the bridge too? Lucky the bridge builder had the foresight to predict a horse and cart might be replaced by heavier vehicles in times to come! It might still be best not to linger under that particular bridge for the foreseeable... 

A 40 tonne lorry I'd imagine, but it may not have been fully laden to that weight. Also, spread across six axles the risk to the bridge is not quite as great as initially appears. 

Even so, I wonder if CRT have seen the newspaper article and commissioned a post-incident bridge survey.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A 40 tonne lorry I'd imagine, but it may not have been fully laden to that weight. Also, spread across six axles the risk to the bridge is not quite as great as initially appears. 

Even so, I wonder if CRT have seen the newspaper article and commissioned a post-incident bridge survey.

I will try and see if there are any weight restriction signs on my way back. If the bridge is capable of carrying the weight then the incident wouldn't have effected it, he didnt touch the bridge structure, just dropped his front end in the ditch

Well we came back that way today so stopped for a look. The bridge is Grade II listed as there is a planning application posted for repairs. There is no sign of any weight restriction but the road on the north side is nothing more than a track. The lorry only just failed to make the bend with his wheel slipping off the tarmac and into the soft ground.

DSCF0085small.jpg

DSCF0084small.jpg

DSCF0083small.jpg