16.8V charger for equalising Trojans?

Richard10002

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

He will - we'll soon see another thread starting with "My Sterling..."  

Sorry Richard, I hope it gives you many years of great service (I hesitate to say sterling service)!

I know... I've wanted a new charger for several years and have been procrastinating. The particular feature of the Sterling made it worth taking a chance, and my refurbished inverter charger has been fine since 2011, (after an initial hiccup :( )... so we'll see how it goes....

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

I know... I've wanted a new charger for several years and have been procrastinating. The particular feature of the Sterling made it worth taking a chance, and my refurbished inverter charger has been fine since 2011, (after an initial hiccup :( )... so we'll see how it goes....

Don't tell anyone else, but actually my Mastervolt...)  ;)

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Let us know how well it desulphates (as title) please!

I think it has a max of 15.5V, which is no higher than my current inverter charger, so I'm expecting no success whatsoever on the desulphating front :(

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2018 at 08:31, Sea Dog said:

He will - we'll soon see another thread starting with "My Sterling..."  

Sorry Richard, I hope it gives you many years of great service (I hesitate to say sterling service)!

My Sterling.......

is doing exactly what I wanted and expected, so far :)

Needed a bit of fiddling with factory settings but:

1) Float and absorption can be set at the same level, up to a max of 15.1V, (I have it set at 14.7V for Trojan T105s), and it runs at this voltage for as long as I want to run the genny, or until I see the tail current low enough for me to consider them full, and turn it off.

2) Removing the power source, (genny), it starts up when power is retored, and retains my custom settings, including (i) absorption and float, (ii) the setting to run at 75%, 50%, or 25%, of capacity, (i.e. 45A, 30A, 15A), (iii) the startup setting as a Power Supply, rather than Battery Charger - see 3) below.

3) There is a power saving feature which makes it comply with Californian legislation, but which seemed to reduce the power significantly fairly soon after start up, which was initially irritating. However, changing a start up setting from "bc", (Battery Charger), to "PS", (Power Supply), cancels this feature, and it works fine as a charger.

For MtB: I havent tried equalisation yet, but it will only allow this on the Flooded lead acid battery setting, so I can see MtBs niggle of losing custom absorption and float settings being unavoidable. Having said that, I haven't found resetting the custom settings as laborious as he suggests, although it does need the manual handy, as it isn't intuitive.

So far so good, and very pleased with the purchase, given my needs and expectations.