Thermal break windows

Featured Posts

I have to make a decision tonight on thermal break windows or not.  Are they worth the extra grand plus?  Are they yet a proven technology? How long has the Caldwell’s version been about?  Do you have them?

sorry about the list but that is what is whizzing in my head

phil

2 hours ago, Bromleyxphil said:

I have to make a decision tonight on thermal break windows or not.  Are they worth the extra grand plus?  Are they yet a proven technology? How long has the Caldwell’s version been about?  Do you have them?

sorry about the list but that is what is whizzing in my head

phil

Single glazed, keep it simple. Double glazing is not needed.

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have got double glazing, it came with the boat. Would I buy it? would I Nellie.

Iirc, your issue is that the double glazing is OK but you still get condensation on the frames themselves, pretty much negating the advantage the extra expense brings. As I understand it, the thermal break bit is in the frames themselves to prevent that, thus making the best of the double glazing.  Anyway, what do I know - when I get condensation, I can get it on the glass and the frames! :D

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Iirc, your issue is that the double glazing is OK but you still get condensation on the frames themselves, pretty much negating the advantage the extra expense brings. As I understand it, the thermal break bit is in the frames themselves to prevent that, thus making the best of the double glazing.  Anyway, what do I know - when I get condensation, I can get it on the glass and the frames! :D

I think you sum it up very well. I get no condensation on the glass but yep  the frames more than make up for it :)

We replaced Caldwell with Channel Glaze DG when we got repainted last year.

We are glad we did.  Condensation hugely reduced, although we still get a little bit of damp on the frame, it is nothing like we used to get on the glass, and if we ventilate properly it is virtually zero.

One other advantage to consider is the noise reduction, it is really noticeable.

Oh, and one other thing. Having the full drop back frames, we can remove the whole window.  Excellent if it ever gets warm and good for cleaning and maintenance.

IMHO - worth it.

9 minutes ago, lockedout said:

We replaced Caldwell with Channel Glaze DG when we got repainted last year.

We are glad we did.  Condensation hugely reduced, although we still get a little bit of damp on the frame, it is nothing like we used to get on the glass, and if we ventilate properly it is virtually zero.

One other advantage to consider is the noise reduction, it is really noticeable.

Oh, and one other thing. Having the full drop back frames, we can remove the whole window.  Excellent if it ever gets warm and good for cleaning and maintenance.

IMHO - worth it.

They are what I have got. The lift out bit is a good gimmick but they  are way too expensive for what they are.

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They are what I have got. The lift out bit is a good gimmick but they  are way too expensive for what they are.

Speak as you find, but I thought the cost was reasonable considering the quality of the product, the good customer service and the good fitters.  They are a good company to deal with.

(No connections to CG, just a satisfied customer)

8 minutes ago, lockedout said:

Speak as you find, but I thought the cost was reasonable considering the quality of the product, the good customer service and the good fitters.  They are a good company to deal with.

(No connections to CG, just a satisfied customer)

I will give you a tip. The screws that go through the frame on the interior of the boat are hidden by a nice black rubber extrusion. I removed my windows to paint the boat.   Condensation runs  behind the extrusion where you cannot see it and rots the heads of the screws. I have replaced with stainless screws and left off the rubber extrusion for future removal.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I will give you a tip. The screws that go through the frame on the interior of the boat are hidden by a nice black rubber extrusion. I removed my windows to paint the boat.   Condensation runs  behind the extrusion where you cannot see it and rots the heads of the screws. I have replaced with stainless screws and left off the rubber extrusion for future removal.

Worth knowing.  When I fitted the window liners I had to replace quite a few of the screws used by the fitters, all were replaced with stainless nuts and bolts, not screws.

It wasn't anything wrong with the fitting, just that I hadn't decided what internal liners I wanted when they were fitted.

1 minute ago, lockedout said:

Worth knowing.  When I fitted the window liners I had to replace quite a few of the screws used by the fitters, all were replaced with stainless nuts and bolts, not screws.

It wasn't anything wrong with the fitting, just that I hadn't decided what internal liners I wanted when they were fitted.

Dont get me wrong these are now ten years old and still in good shape. The only  problem is the screws and those black wedges that hold against the window closures come off. I wouldnt buy them personaly but I learnt something stupidly simple from your post in that instead of the missus balancing on the offside of the boat when cleaning the windows why not lift them out like we do on hot days..........see so simple but we hadnt thought about it :lol:

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Dont get me wrong these are now ten years old and still in good shape. The only  problem is the screws and those black wedges that hold against the window closures come off. I wouldnt buy them personaly but I learnt something stupidly simple from your post in that instead of the missus balancing on the offside of the boat when cleaning the windows why not lift them out like we do on hot days..........see so simple but we hadnt thought about it :lol:

So far so good for us, but we have a long way to go to catch up with your 10 years.  We don't clean the windows that much, but popping them out is deffo the way to go.

• Happy 1