Computer getting hot on this site only

frahkn

Featured Posts

On 21/12/2017 at 15:17, frahkn said:

No, that is what's weird. I can watch youtube or the BBC, only this site causes the overheating and only during the last few weeks.

I've been using the forum for years and the Mac is 4 years old.

Also, no great activity shows up on the activity monitor.

It's very strange.

Have you had the display hardware problem?

Mine is a Mac Book Retina pro early 2013 (so similar age to yours). There is/was a specific hardware issue related to the display that Apple have been offering replacement main boards foc. Mine started going wrong about 6 months ago - screen freezing etc - but it was accompanied by it getting very hot. Eventually I found the display issue was something Apple were replacing FOC so I put it in for repair. I told them about the heat but I put it down to the batteries being knackered. I got them to fit a new battery (at my expense). They also fitted a new display FOC. Very good service. Outcome, perfect operation but it still gets very hot at times - and I can't put it down to anything consistent. Maybe the heat issue is nothing to do with the display fault but maybe you are about to have the display issue.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Have you had the display hardware problem?

Mine is a Mac Book Retina pro early 2013 (so similar age to yours). There is/was a specific hardware issue related to the display that Apple have been offering replacement main boards foc. Mine started going wrong about 6 months ago - screen freezing etc - but it was accompanied by it getting very hot. Eventually I found the display issue was something Apple were replacing FOC so I put it in for repair. I told them about the heat but I put it down to the batteries being knackered. I got them to fit a new battery (at my expense). They also fitted a new display FOC. Very good service. Outcome, perfect operation but it still gets very hot at times - and I can't put it down to anything consistent. Maybe the heat issue is nothing to do with the display fault but maybe you are about to have the display issue.

That seems to be a possibility, no display or other problems so far but perhaps I can look forward to them in future! At least I will now be prepared, thanks very much.

49 minutes ago, frahkn said:

That seems to be a possibility, no display or other problems so far but perhaps I can look forward to them in future! At least I will now be prepared, thanks very much.

This is the info that Apple were producing in March this year when I had the problem. Watch the timing. It says they will do the repair to 4 years out from when you bought it but I guess if it failed due to this a few months later you could get them under the sale of goods act as this note 'sort of' says that the fault was there when they sold them.

MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues - Apple Support.pdf

15 hours ago, frahkn said:

As far as I can see it doesn't make it anything (whether starting with a 'c' or not) and I haven't suggested that it does. What it is is a fact, I am trying to establish a cause for this fact but progress is slow because I am not in a position to conduct random trials.

If it's not anything, it's nothing. Why isn't it a coincidence, at least?

On 12/21/2017 at 08:35, frahkn said:

My Mac book pro gets hot and the fan becomes audible after about 3 mins  on this site only.

You first inferred that one might have caused the other, did you not? 

16 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

If it's not anything, it's nothing. Why isn't it a coincidence, at least?

You first inferred that one might have caused the other, did you not? 

Because it's not consistent - there was no overheating until a month ago and even now it does not always overheat on this site's new theme, though it usually does.

I should have been more careful with the wording, it did not occur to me that anyone reading "only on this site" would think that I have tried all the millions of other sites. For avoidance of doubt - I have not - there are probably (almost certainly) other sites which would replicate the overheating.

1 hour ago, smileypete said:

Basic straw clutching: have you tried another web browser?

No, not yet, I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to computers and it would be an adventure to try another browser.

Also, what would it tell me - I ask because I have gone back to the previous 'theme' (at someone here's suggestion) and this has solved the issue but has not me made me any wiser about the original problem.

1 minute ago, frahkn said:

No, not yet, I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to computers and it would be an adventure to try another browser.

Also, what would it tell me - I ask because I have gone back to the previous 'theme' (at someone here's suggestion) and this has solved the issue but has not me made me any wiser about the original problem.

If the default theme works I'd stick with that.

Diagnosing exactly what causes the problem may prove fiendishly difficult, maybe not worth it unless more than a few are having the same problem.

There was an issue with Windows XP when the site went to a new version of software which was a pain to sort out: