thermostat

haza

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, haza said:

hi everyone merry xmas to you all xx i have been told the thomstat on my aldi 2928 boiler could have gone .would any of you peeps have one for sale or maybe .if so could you pm me thanks 

Hi Hazzz, it would be better to know for sure before going to the trouble of sourcing buying and fitting a new one.

What are the symptoms?

Also which stat? You may have two. One on the  boiler and also a room stat. The boiler one seem to be part of the main control system so is unlikely to be cheap, second hand or not. From memory changing it may also involve resetting the micro switch etc.

I am with Mike, tell us the symptoms.

8 minutes ago, philjw said:

Looking through your link there are actually THREE thermostats. The primary control 'stat, the overheat 'stat and the room 'stat.

The primary control stat is the most likely to have failed and I see it is missing from the list, so possibly not available hence the request from the OP.

hi everyone .sorry i should have said .its the room thermostat   the square box thingy..i had the aldi serviced a couple of months ago ..but the guy who done the service.is not too well at the minute and its going to be in the new year when he can come and have a look at it .even then he may not be able too ..as i got the feeling the guys is  poorly .....when i turn it on at the box thermo ..it turns the impeler at a good rate of knots ..but then it stops ...the impeler is new got it from swinderlers last month ..they told me to test it by putting in a tall vase to see how long it would spin for ..this i did ..and it spun foe ages so its not that .i would not think .but again thanks for all your imput on this x regards 

hi greg i did not know that till yesterday ...but you are not going to believe its working now ..it seems to be hit and miss ...or i may be doing just some thing wrong ..but what i have just done ..is,,unscrewed by half a turn the coller what holds the impeler in place ..but whether that would make it work i dont no ...and last night i let the boat get really cold ...so i could put the heating on .but radiators still stone cold even tho the pilot light was lit ...but could not hear the impeler spinning ..i do hope all this makes sence ...and like mtb said i dont want to be  getting stuff that i dont really need ...thanks again all x

As above: the room stat controls the pump only. In normal operation, once the set room temperature is reached, the pump shuts down and the boiler, if it hasn't already turned itself  down, continues to run at full chat until it reaches the temperature set on the boiler thermostat.

When we were using an Alde for heating water, the radiators were shut off and the room stat turned up to maximum, otherwise the heat from the stove could stop the water heating.

4 minutes ago, haza said:

hi greg i did not know that till yesterday ...but you are not going to believe its working now ..it seems to be hit and miss ...or i may be doing just some thing wrong ..but what i have just done ..is,,unscrewed by half a turn the coller what holds the impeler in place ..but whether that would make it work i dont no ...and last night i let the boat get really cold ...so i could put the heating on .but radiators still stone cold even tho the pilot light was lit ...but could not hear the impeler spinning ..i do hope all this makes sence ...and like mtb said i dont want to be  getting stuff that i dont really need ...thanks again all x

That might make it work if the impeller was fouling the recess it sits in in the bottom of the header tank. Any rattling sounds when it's running?

If you end up still suspecting the room stat I would get a length of twin core cable with one end fixed to a 12V supply and make direct contact with the red & black wires on the motor. The impeller should spin for ever - or until you disconnect the wires. Ideally the positive should have a fuse close to the 12V end but as long as you are careful you can probably do without.

Just to be sure, you do turn the control knob up to around 3 to 5 once  its lit?

If the behaviour is "hit and miss" as you say, it could be a loose electrical connection. With the room stat turned to max and the boiler lit, try moving the wires, in and out and side to side,  where they go into  the thermostat, the pump, or any connectors associated with them. Listen for the pump starting or stopping as you move the wires. If there is any effect, then get to the actual connection and tighten it up or mend the broken wire.