Leaky stem gland

blackrose

Featured Posts

Made in GB. I spent much of my working life running an engineering company. The first few years I always brought in any out sourced parts from  UK companies, when possible. It soon became apparent that many items were poor quality and overpriced. In the latter years we were buying from overseas. We own a foreign boat, cars, motorbikes etc. I struggle to think of any British built items built by large British Owned companies that match foreign built quality.( Happily i accept there are some excellent smaller firms)This used to make me very angry.. Ian.

Edited by ianali

Sounds to me like a reporter desperately trying to make a story out of a quite ordinary situation. Anyone ever been involved in a large construction project - whether land or water based? Even our new nb was having snags fixed by the builder several months after handover (only a very small number I hasten to add in case anyone can work out which builder it was!).

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 hours ago, ianali said:

Made in GB. I spent much of my working life running an engineering company. The first few years I always brought in any out sourced parts from  UK companies, when possible. It soon became apparent that many items were poor quality and overpriced. In the latter years we were buying from overseas. We own a foreign boat, cars, motorbikes etc. I struggle to think of any British built items built by large British Owned companies that match foreign built quality.( Happily i accept there are some excellent smaller firms)This used to make me very angry.. Ian.

It's because our social structure clogs up large manufacturing firms, it worked OK during the industrial revolution but only because there wasn't any real competition, once other countries began to get going we went into a steady decline.

Our small firms flourish because they are not hampered by this restrictive class system, anyway how can any nation match China for mass production? Where we can shine is in small innovative businesses where individuality comes to the fore, China have their strengths and we have ours. 

Edited by nb Innisfree

I wonder if they have RCR membership? Could be worth a call. At least there aren't any aeroplanes on board to get wet.

Jen

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If it indeed it is a stem gland then presumably it is a bow thruster rather than a prop-shaft - typical poor reporting

Bow thrusters on aircraft carriers. A good thing, or a crutch for captains who don't know how to steer. Discuss...

Does it have cassette, or pump out? Is there an eco-fan on board?

Jen

• Greenie 1

I'm guessing pump out, and that there will be a complex computer-controlled ventilation system which kind of renders an eco-fan redundant.

The BBC report seems quite clear that it's a leak on one of the propeller shafts. No doubt it's important that the shipyard sort it out, but 200 litres per hour is a trivial amount of water to shift with the bilge pumps they'll have aboard.

It also mentions there's a 162db foghorn. Could do with that sometimes on the Thames, as oncoming rowers don't always seem to hear a boat horn the first time it's used. Trouble is, they wouldn't hear that a second time because they'd be deaf.

One further thought. While the Navy has all those crew sitting around idle waiting for the repairs, could they spare one or two to help Magpie Patrick get down the Caen Hill flight?

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I wonder if they have RCR membership? Could be worth a call. At least there aren't any aeroplanes on board to get wet.

Jen

Bow thrusters on aircraft carriers. A good thing, or a crutch for captains who don't know how to steer. Discuss...

Jen

It is likely Single use Cassettes ,when they are full they maybe place them in a Deck Gun Barrel ,hold their Noses and Fire the Cassettes into another Hemisphere....I would Guess that the Exercise is referred to as "Brown Cloudmaking"?

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Jen

Looked to me on the news at 1pm as if they had about six bow thrusters - well one was a bow thruster, another was at the stern and the other tugs (pushers actually) were lined up in between . . . 

32 minutes ago, Peter X said:

It also mentions there's a 162db foghorn. Could do with that sometimes on the Thames, as oncoming rowers don't always seem to hear a boat horn the first time it's used. Trouble is, they wouldn't hear that a second time because they'd be deaf.

Couldn't you use your ecofan to blow them out of your way? :P

It should not surprise anyone that Nuneaton and Brighton, the boats I go out on most often, do not have ecofans aboard. Each has a solid fuel stove, and we do carry a lot of fuel, but ecofans are not much use in a small cabin. I have actually been on a boat which had an ecofan, and thought that it had some limited use but wouldn't be on my shopping list if I ever bought a boat.

Once we've got a rower's attention they tend to get out of the way rather quickly, when they turn around and see a breasted up loaded pair approaching. Aircraft carriers at sea probably get much the same effect when they use their horn.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

Jen

No RCR membership. They have engineers aboard who actually are engineers as opposed to the sort that mend washing machines, supported by engineering technicians who are actually technicians, as opposed to the sort that paint ladies nails.

Warships don't usually have thrusters - they take tugs when they come into port. Actually, though they are reasonably adept through training and practice when possible, not a lot of a Captain's time is spent manoeuvring in harbours. They spend most of their sailing time ploughing furrows in the ocean, which explains the shape of the waves at the seaside.

They have a sewage treatment plant (STP), thank goodness - can you imagine a daily potty parade of such magnitude? Often an STP is just a big tank snarled up with previously eaten sweetcorn with some poor technician trying to fix it. This is why you wouldn't want them painting your nails afterwards and are better off with someone who only thinks they are a technician but smells rather better.

There's no solid fuel stove so no Eco fan. Plenty of warriors though, though none flying aeroplanes, obviously. Still, that should give the Navy plenty of time to practice driving it and the RAF a bit of well-earned premature rest and recuperation before they go up-didly-up-dup.

Hope that clarifies a few things :)

Edited by Sea Dog
Words.

49 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No RCR membership. They have engineers aboard who actually are engineers as opposed to the sort that mend washing machines, supported by engineering technicians who are actually technicians, as opposed to the sort that paint ladies nails.

Warships don't usually have thrusters - they take tugs when they come into port. Actually, though they are reasonably adept through training and practice when possible, not a lot of a Captain's time is spent manoeuvring in harbours. They spend most of their sailing time ploughing furrows in the ocean, which explains the shape of the waves at the seaside.

They have a sewage treatment plant (STP), thank goodness - can you imagine a daily potty parade of such magnitude? Often an STP is just a big tank snarled up with previously eaten sweetcorn with some poor technician trying to fix it. This is why you wouldn't want them painting your nails afterwards and are better off with someone who only thinks they are a technician but smells rather better.

There's no solid fuel stove so no Eco fan. Plenty of warriors though, though none flying aeroplanes, obviously. Still, that should give the Navy plenty of time to practice driving it and the RAF a bit of well-earned premature rest and recuperation before they go up-didly-up-dup.

Hope that clarifies a few things :)

Sewage treatment plant :o how crap ( get it ) is that!! Not so PC in my day ya flushed the lot through a whole in the side straight into the oggin. Prioper boating.

1 hour ago, Peter X said:

It should not surprise anyone that Nuneaton and Brighton, the boats I go out on most often, do not have ecofans aboard. Each has a solid fuel stove, and we do carry a lot of fuel, but ecofans are not much use in a small cabin. I have actually been on a boat which had an ecofan, and thought that it had some limited use but wouldn't be on my shopping list if I ever bought a boat.

Once we've got a rower's attention they tend to get out of the way rather quickly, when they turn around and see a breasted up loaded pair approaching. Aircraft carriers at sea probably get much the same effect when they use their horn.

Except American ones approaching lighthouses, to quote an old wife's tale!

George

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Except American ones approaching lighthouses, to quote an old wife's tale!

George

There’s another old wive’s tale about the RAF and testing for bird impact damage. The story goes that USAF were shooting chickens from an air cannon at aircraft windows to simulate a bird strike. The RAF thought “That’s a good idea!” and tried it themselves. Every time they tried it the chicken smashed through the laminated glass. So the RAF sent a telegram to the States and asked for their advice. The reply came... “Dear RAF, try defrosting the chickens first.”

Lovely story but totally untrue. In fact, at the speed the bird hits the screen it apparently would make zero difference if it’s frozen or not. 

24 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Lovely story but totally untrue. In fact, at the speed the bird hits the screen it apparently would make zero difference if it’s frozen or not. 

Maybe not to a flying officer, but I think a food safety officer would disagree, young man! :P