Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Kendorr

Well done Sir Mo

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Athy said:

John Surtees won it once in 1959, Barry Sheene came second in 1977, but it's been a long wait for motorcyclists since then.

Hasn't it, and those guys are about as 'household names' as motorcycle racers ever get! They were in the Motorcycle equivalent of Formula 1, formerly the 500cc championship and currently Moto GP, and of course John Surtees is the only man ever to be premier class World Champion on 2 and 4 wheels. We're still waiting for a champion in Moto GP, but we've had quite a few World Superbike Champions and a lot of other British riders giving a good account of themselves in that class. Although Jonathan Rae has now won three of those world titles, I was still surprised to see him runner up in SPOTY. Not because he was unworthy, far from it, but because of his sport being non mainstream and Superbikes not being seen as the pinnacle. I believe it took a concerted campaign from motorcycle racing fans to get him on the shortlist in the first place. Runner up perhaps, but he didn't have an easy ride to get there!

2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes, he shone on most surfaces. :)

A greeno for being extremely clever.

As an aside, I was amused by the acronym for the programme, "SPOTY", and surprised that the presenters actually used it themselves. Perhaps they feel that the nominees have all attained the acne of their chosen sports.

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hasn't it, and those guys are about as 'household names' as motorcycle racers ever get! They were in the Motorcycle equivalent of Formula 1, formerly the 500cc championship and currently Moto GP, and of course John Surtees is the only man ever to be premier class World Champion on 2 and 4 wheels. We're still waiting for a champion in Moto GP, but we've had quite a few World Superbike Champions and a lot of other British riders giving a good account of themselves in that class. Although Jonathan Rae has now won three of those world titles, I was still surprised to see him runner up in SPOTY. Not because he was unworthy, far from it, but because of his sport being non mainstream and Superbikes not being seen as the pinnacle. I believe it took a concerted campaign from motorcycle racing fans to get him on the shortlist in the first place. Runner up perhaps, but he didn't have an easy ride to get there!

Alot of Bikers voted but I am surprised how small the overall vote count is. I remember a scandal amongst anglers many years ago when angling times ran a campaign to get the top match fisherman into first place on SPOTY. I believe BBC somehow stopped it.

Ian.

6 minutes ago, ianali said:

Alot of Bikers voted but I am surprised how small the overall vote count is. I remember a scandal amongst anglers many years ago when angling times ran a campaign to get the top match fisherman into first place on SPOTY. I believe BBC somehow stopped it.

Ian.

Bob Nudd, Coarse Angling World Champion - always wore a white flat cap. Isn't angling still the biggest participation sport? It seems odd that if the most people vote for one of the top participants in the most popular sport to be SPOTY it could be perceived as anything other than a reasonable thing! (Oops - that's cleared the way for a darts player!)

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Bob Nudd, Coarse Angling World Champion - always wore a white flat cap. Isn't angling still the biggest participation sport? 

No, it is a pastime.

Bob Nudd? Does he strip off on the bank? You couldn't make it up.

12 minutes ago, Tonka said:

The good news is more people die angling then in motor sport

That's good news? You need to listen to Thumper the rabbit's mum: "if you can't say nuthin' nice, don't say nuthin'".

8 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Why should anybody be given a title (or a gong, or whatever "honour") for doing their job?

I agree

:)

(He said holding up his Imperial Service Medal)

Edited by Laurie.Booth

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 08:39, Athy said:

There have been plenty of sportsmen in the past who have frittered away the good money they earned in the ring, on the track or on the pitch

Like George Best:

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

16 hours ago, ianali said:

No, it is a sport.

Ian.

Not according to Wikipedia:

Sport

TV Viewing Participating Interested In
Association football 46% 10% 45%
Rugby Union 21% NA 27%
Tennis 18% 3% 23%
Cricket 18% 2% 19%
Athletics 18% 2% 21%
Snooker 17% 5% 24%
Motor racing 16% NA 20%
Rugby League 12% NA 15%
Boxing 11% NA 14%
Golf 11% 6% 16%
Darts 9% 3% NA
Swimming NA 9% NA
Gym NA 12% 17%

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Not according to Wikipedia:

Sport

TV Viewing Participating Interested In
Association football 46% 10% 45%
Rugby Union 21% NA 27%
Tennis 18% 3% 23%
Cricket 18% 2% 19%
Athletics 18% 2% 21%
Snooker 17% 5% 24%
Motor racing 16% NA 20%
Rugby League 12% NA 15%
Boxing 11% NA 14%
Golf 11% 6% 16%
Darts 9% 3% NA
Swimming NA 9% NA
Gym NA 12% 17%

Someone's made that up!  You can't just put NA instead of a definitive percentage for participants in the second most popular sport on the list (and many others), or not know how many watch swimming on the telly and expect the table to carry any meaningful authority. Its wiki bollocks! :D

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Someone's made that up! 

If so, the chances are with Wiki that somebody will correct it. This is how it works.

Perhaps this one has more authority:

linky to real stats

Edited by Machpoint005
see linky

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

If so, the chances are with Wiki that somebody will correct alter it. This is how it works.

It often works that way too.

Just now, Athy said:

It often works that way too.

I wonder how the panel would rate the reliability of Wikipedia in comparison with, say, the BBC or the Daily Mail?

21 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I wonder how the panel would rate the reliability of Wikipedia in comparison with, say, the BBC or the Daily Mail?

Much lower, because anyone can add anything they want - I once read a Wiki article in the middle of which a reference to the article's subject was interrupted by the comment "but his brother is a moron". The BBC is famed internationally for its comprehensive and impartial news coverage. I have not read the Daily Mail for many years - it was my regular paper when I was a student, but that was in the 1970s - so I can't make a comparison.

55 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

If so, the chances are with Wiki that somebody will correct it. This is how it works.

Perhaps this one has more authority:

linky to real stats

Ah, I see. Then here's another authoritative table :

No1 Sport is Darts with200m viewers and100m participants. 

No2 sport is Bog Snorkeling with 10 viewers but 400m participants 

No3 sport is carrot growing with 270 viewers an 108m participants. 

Now, you may think that's tosh, but it's still definitive because someone might correct it later. That's how itworks.

:D