New stove, cold feet warm head.

Robbo

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It wasn't actually from Poundland, it was from "an upmarket pound shop" - probably 'Pound Stretcher', or 'Home Bargains' or somewhere similar.

That's my theory shot down then. I'd imagined you could buy things at 4 pounds, but spread the cost over 4 months paying four equal payments of a pound.  It looks like I'm gonna be stuck with only 3 fans (1 real Ecofan and 2 imaginary ones) for the foreseeable future.  :(

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

I was looking at the stove to heat, as well as a diesel fired boiler, so similar to your setup.  Did you go for a standard UFH manifold? Ie. a seperate circulation pump for the UFH and mixing valve?

50 meters of underfloor pipe @ 22mm should with the rads and cauliflower give me warm floors and enough heat loss to keep the whispergen cool and making 24volts dc to charge batteries in the winter. I am keeping it simple with no joints under the floor to go wrong

You need an freezofan. They are a new innovation instead of failing to blow hot air around they sit in the cold part of your room and repel the hot air, by cunningly blocking airflow. They have large vane shaped blades that by failing to turn ,  fill up the space previously occupied by the cold air hence reducing the airmass in the room and forcing the warm air to floor level.

proposed price. $60

postage $60

returns $60 ( verification of fault fee)

send cash to;

Australian  snake oil manufacturing plc

The old power station Latrobe Valley vic.

This seems to be a common problem but I think we have come up with a cheap and fairly effective solution.

We have a cheap 12v  fan which we clip to the curtain rail near the stove .When the stove has heated up we turn the fan on for 10 mins or so every hour or so,We find this stirs the air up , stops the hot head syndrome and also helps spread the heat down the boat . We also use the fan in Summer to help cool the boat in fact it is one of the most useful things we have bought !

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I just looked out the window here and a large flock of pigs flew by.

Don't knock it till you have tried it ! It works for us and was far far cheaper than other solutions ! The fan is near the roof and is in the hot air so it is disturbed and blown around.

Can you still get those big slippers you put both feet in? I haven't seen them advertised since my membership of the Institute of Advanced Motorists lapsed and they stopped sending their magazine. Could well be worth joining for anyone with "Narrowboat feet".

8 hours ago, tizzy said:

Don't knock it till you have tried it ! It works for us and was far far cheaper than other solutions ! The fan is near the roof and is in the hot air so it is disturbed and blown around.

A fan moving the air on the ceiling I know works, a stove fan I’m still to be convinced by, but that one I posted is something I would get just because!

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Can you still get those big slippers you put both feet in? I haven't seen them advertised since my membership of the Institute of Advanced Motorists lapsed and they stopped sending their magazine. Could well be worth joining for anyone with "Narrowboat feet".

Oh you really lucked out there - a certain German food store had some for sale a couple of weeks ago!!

18 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

A surprising place to advertise them. Can't see how it would be safe to drive with one of those on. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A surprising place to advertise them. Can't see how it would be safe to drive with one of those on. 

Stops those new to automatics pressing the brake with their left foot,  coz they ate used to pressing the clutch to the floor. :P

Just now, cuthound said:

Stops those new to automatics pressing the brake with their left foot,  coz they ate used to pressing the clutch to the floor. :P

Have you ever tried that in an auto? Like the Yanks do, right foot for go, left for stop?

I tried it once and screeched to a skidding halt - my left foot isn’t used to pressing gently. 

52 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Have you ever tried that in an auto? Like the Yanks do, right foot for go, left for stop?

I tried it once and screeched to a skidding halt - my left foot isn’t used to pressing gently. 

First time I drove an automatic (back in the very early 70's) I drove it one footed. All went well until I tried to reverse into a parking space and instinctively put my left foot on what I suppose I thought was the clutch (except it was the brake). The car half spun though 90 degrees. Luckily there wasn't a car in the bay next to the one I was trying to park .

Then I started rallying, so used an automatic to get used to left braking, an essential skill to drive a front wheel drive car quickly on a loose surface.

Now I switch between right and left foot braking depending upon the transmission type and only left foot brake in a manual car when things have gone seriously wrong on a slippery surface.

Edited by cuthound
Grandma
  • Happy 2

20 hours ago, Robbo said:

A fan moving the air on the ceiling I know works, a stove fan I’m still to be convinced by, but that one I posted is something I would get just because!

My dad bought me a stove fan, I wasn't going to because of the bad reviews on here, just taken it out the box and put it on the rayburn, I can just feel the effect on my hand , and it blows ash around 30cm away from it , so it certainly does move some air, it is also silent running and looks fun so I am quite pleased with it.

It is this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/332436661973?chn=ps&adgroupid=48716125379&rlsatarget=pla-381910297661&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=107334164&poi=&googleloc=9041111&device=c&campaignid=974960635&crdt=0

I know some will ridicule, but an ecofan, well a cheap copy one off eBay, made a big difference to the temp gradient from floor to ceiling in the area near the stove.   It does however NOT push the hot air from the stove back to the bedroom at the rear of the boat, I with it did but it does not :)  

4 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Assuming yours like this has the same CO safety and anti-fire tip over safety cut-out I would not rely 100% on that. I recommend you ensure you have also got good, working CO and smoke alarms.