Kennet & Avon Residential Moorings

mutters

Featured Posts

There are a lot of widebeams down here, and every time I have to pass one I think "Bugger!" But it's nowhere near as much as a pain for me as for the widebeam helmsman. What happens when he meets another widebeam on one of our long stretches of moored narrowboats? I hav'nt encountered this hostility to broadbeams, but it does strike me that the extra space is dearly bought if it turns cruising into a chore.

I must honestly say that I've never yet had a problem with passing another broadbeam on the K&A. I have successfully passed the 'John Rennie' tripboat several times on the canal (they are 12'6" wide and we are 10'6"). Also, I have never yet encountered hositility towards us. Narrowboat owners have always been lovely people thus far. I suppose I've come across a grumpy one or two, but then I've also come across a couple of grumpy widebeam owners too.

It's reminding me a bit of how 4by4 (or SUV) owners are sometimes regarded - is that a good likeness? It seems silly tho :rolleyes:

What, you've got a 4x4 and a widebeam... :rolleyes:

Personally I've never noticed any ill feeling towards widebeam owners. Whether or not I would want to own a boat that could only cover half of the system is another story.

What, you've got a 4x4 and a widebeam... :rolleyes:

One on top of the other... what's wrong with that?? :rolleyes:

(edit - i actually have a rinky dink deisel car - got to pay my tax this month - £35 for the year!! mmmwwaa haaaa hhhhaaaa)

Edited by mutters

Narrowboat owners have always been lovely people thus far. I suppose I've come across a grumpy one or two,

I'd be grumpy if I had to live in a corridor ............................. :rolleyes:

......................... OK, I'll get my coat. :rolleyes:

The K&A can be pretty wide in places. Yesterday in my narrowboat, I passed between the ultrawide restaurant boat John Rennie on their lunchtime run, and Almighty & Kestrel moored abreast (neither of which are tiny). So wide enough I'd say!

The K&A can be pretty wide in places. Yesterday in my narrowboat, I passed between the ultrawide restaurant boat John Rennie on their lunchtime run, and Almighty & Kestrel moored abreast (neither of which are tiny). So wide enough I'd say!

But not everywhere Chris, The section between Dundas and Sheepwash looks wide enough but it is very shallow on the offside. I used to moor there, in one of the deeper sections, but if I had a fiver for every boat that ran aground 8 feet out from the edge I would be a wealtyhy man.

Hello ... I'm new, I'm landlocked but I'm working on it. I thought I'd better introduce myself. Glad to see that moorings can be had and I followed the narrow versus widebeam with interest. I've not been on a canal boat in years (we are talking decades) ... used to chug up and down on the Grand Union for pleasure ... moored at Cosgrove and Stoke Bruerne. But now I am preparing to get back on to the canal ... as near to Bradford on Avon as possible, preferably to live aboard as I work in Bath and my parents live up from Avoncliffe. I'd love to talk to anyone else from this neck of the woods? I don't plan to actually buy a narrowboat until next spring ... so I am taking my time to prepare myself for the culture shock and the practical and financial implications of a life afloat. Maybe I should post this in your liveaboard forum. The photo is of my scotties, Maggie and Glasgow. They love the canal particuarly the bit around the Lock Inn cafe.