Kennet & Avon Residential Moorings

mutters

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Not long ago I decided to downsize my life, sell the house and get a boat. I'm currently selling off useless tat and going to sell the house at the end of the summer (I live in Merseyside). That should raise some dosh but I'm going to move down south and live with family to save up the rest of the money.

My question is: does anyone know about possible residential moorings (perhaps put my names on waiting lists??) along the kennet and avon canal. While I'm based up here it's difficult to know where to start my search. That's definitely the area of the country I'm interested in ending up - can anyone give me some knowledge/advice on that kind of thing?

Thanks!!

Hi all,

Not long ago I decided to downsize my life, sell the house and get a boat. I'm currently selling off useless tat and going to sell the house at the end of the summer (I live in Merseyside). That should raise some dosh but I'm going to move down south and live with family to save up the rest of the money.

My question is: does anyone know about possible residential moorings (perhaps put my names on waiting lists??) along the kennet and avon canal. While I'm based up here it's difficult to know where to start my search. That's definitely the area of the country I'm interested in ending up - can anyone give me some knowledge/advice on that kind of thing?

Thanks!!

Hi Mutters,

The K&A is somewhat short of moorings, especially residential. This link takes you to a trade association web site they have a list of boating services including moorings. http://www.katrade.org.uk/

We are at the Newbury boat company although they don't advertise as such there are some residential moorings, so it's always worth asking. I have also seen ads in the canal magazines for residential moorings near Bristol. Good luck with the search.

Ken

Hi Mutters,

The K&A is somewhat short of moorings, especially residential. This link takes you to a trade association web site they have a list of boating services including moorings. http://www.katrade.org.uk/

We are at the Newbury boat company although they don't advertise as such there are some residential moorings, so it's always worth asking. I have also seen ads in the canal magazines for residential moorings near Bristol. Good luck with the search.

Ken

Nice one Ken,

I did email Newbury Boat company just a few days ago but they said they had none for me (I mentioned a wide beam). Is it more difficult to get moorings for wide beam boats? I would love the extra few feet down the side, but don't want to make my life really difficult!!

I, like Ken am on the K&A at Newbury...

There are more wide beam boats and residential boats towards the western end of the canal nearer Bath..

although not sure how many of those are proper moorings or just people mooring for a long time?!

I found the waterscape list very good and thorough in their listings of people who offer moorings on the K&A....here is the link waterscape K&A moorings list

We found it quiet hard to find moorings when we were looking earlier this year..but eventually did...

good luck with the search :)

Nice one Ken,

I did email Newbury Boat company just a few days ago but they said they had none for me (I mentioned a wide beam). Is it more difficult to get moorings for wide beam boats? I would love the extra few feet down the side, but don't want to make my life really difficult!!

As Gillie said there are widebeams on the K&A, lots of them however I suspect finding a mooring for one would be more difficult. I think in most marinas you would be taking up almost twice the space of a similar length narrowboat but I doubt whether anyone would pay twice the mooring fee. You would really be looking at an on line mooring. Chris Polley is up Bristol way, I thought he had a widebeam, might be worth a PM.

:)

Ken

Ah right. Should I be worried about security with that kind of mooring?

I'm notoriously bad at not caring much myself, tho I'd probably be worried about my worldly possessions taking a walk! I'll be living on it on my own you see (well, with a narly dog). What's peoples thoughts?

online mooring? (scuse the newbieness of the question! :) ) hope that's not digital!

No such thing as dumb questions, dumb answers a plenty on here.

Online is generally a basic mooring alongside the canalbank, mostly British Waterways controlled but can be private. Not usually much in the way of facilities. This is a generalisation there will no doubt be someone with an online mooring with every facility known to man but they are few and far between. Just seen Bottle beat me to it. Security would depend on the area but of course nowhere near as secure as in a marina.

I had a quick look in the back of one of the recent mags. Saltford Marina 01225 87226 are advertising liveaboard for wide and narrow beams. They are Bristol way on the non tidal Avon. There is also a new marina under construction at Hungerford but as yet there are no contact details. The other option is the Thames and Kennet marina its on the Thames right at the end of the K&A but it's not cheap.

Given that your a newbie, have you been on a narrow/widebeam?

Ken

I've been on narrowboats - a holiday a few years back and my friends live on narrowboats in London. In fact it was one friend who was mentioning the benefit of a wide beam as she was getting stressed tripping over herself :) That made me look into it and I do see the advantage of that little extra width (quite a difference once multiplied down the length!). I had wondered if that means it will make it difficult to manage as it's just me (I know I can do a narrowboat single handed, so I'm kinda thinking I would just get used to it??).

I've been on narrowboats - a holiday a few years back and my friends live on narrowboats in London. In fact it was one friend who was mentioning the benefit of a wide beam as she was getting stressed tripping over herself :) That made me look into it and I do see the advantage of that little extra width (quite a difference once multiplied down the length!). I had wondered if that means it will make it difficult to manage as it's just me (I know I can do a narrowboat single handed, so I'm kinda thinking I would just get used to it??).

In some ways a widebeam on the K&A is easier, it fits the locks so your not bounced around so much. Trying to hang on to 17 tons of boat which wants to head for the other side of the lock isn't fun. There is a girl living on one I see from time to time along the canal, she seems to cope.

Ken

In some ways a widebeam on the K&A is easier, it fits the locks so your not bounced around so much. Trying to hang on to 17 tons of boat which wants to head for the other side of the lock isn't fun. There is a girl living on one I see from time to time along the canal, she seems to cope.

Ken

That's good to know.

Thanks for your help - I've been reading round the forum over the last couple of hours and it definitely seems a good place to soak up (no pun intended) good information on boats!

Hello Mutters,

I'm down at Bradford on Avon Marina where we have a leisure (ahem!) mooring. There's a widebeam with widebeam size mooring coming up for sale at the marina sometime soonish. It's probably outrageous amounts of money but you could call the Marina manager (Jimmy Griggs) for more information.

Owing to some very aggressive action by some councils (Devizes in particular) pukka residential moorings are at a premium on the K & A - most marinas down here are overlooked by housing estates who have paid extra to be next to the canal. God forbid they should have to look at grubby old boats on the water! You'll have more scope if you moor on the Avon beyond Bath. We got over the no mooring problem by buying a boat with one, but we did pay a bit of a premium for the privilege. There are moorings and/or liveaboard communities much of the way down the western K & A and the best way to get information is to the pound the towpaths and ask about - we're pretty friendly down this end!

There are only two widebeam moorings at BoA Marina and no widebeam moorings at Dundas, moreover, I've heard on the local grapevine, goodness know whether it's true though, that there will be no widebeam moorings offered by BW in their infamous mooring auction should any ever become available. (That said, there are a number of bridgehoppers in this area who seem to survive but in increasingly less comfort than formerly, but I don't want to open up that can of worms again.) News from me shameless bridgehopper friend is that he's being moved more frequently and asked to go further this year than formerly. Mind you, he did get a winter mooring at Bathampton very easily this year and that may be the most effective plan as moorings are so rare at this end. My gut feeling is that you will have more options if you settle for a narrowbeam and they are substantially cheaper relative to the price of widebeams locally. Ellen and I simply live our lives sideways these days!

Good luck though, it is really lovely at this end. If you need more help there's quite a few members about these parts or you can contact me.

Shep

Good luck though, it is really lovely at this end. If you need more help there's quite a few members about these parts or you can contact me.

Shep

Thanks Shep - that's really good information. Hmmmm I wonder whether a narrowboat really is the way to go. Difficult decision!

I think I will come down and visit the area again soon, I'll probably do as you suggest as have a wander down the tow path and see what's what!

Thanks Shep - that's really good information. Hmmmm I wonder whether a narrowboat really is the way to go. Difficult decision!

I think I will come down and visit the area again soon, I'll probably do as you suggest as have a wander down the tow path and see what's what!

PM me and we can meet up if it's at a weekend .........

The rapidly increasing number of Widebeams at the western end of the K & A is beginning to become a bit of an issue with some boaters. The problem is that whilst the locks are 14 ft wide, much of the canal is quite narrow, add to that the profile of the canal which does not allow deeper boats within two feet of the edge and you have a problem passing. There are quite a few places where two deep draughted narrowboats can pass only with care. Two widebeams just wouldn't fit.

Although I only live a mile away from the K & A I no longer keep my boat on it for a number of reasons, including the lack of mooring places for deep draughted boats. Consequently the Widebeam issue doesn't really bother me, however you should be aware that some private boaters may be hostile towards you, especially if you moor in a narrow section.

Edited by David Schweizer

In Reading, you might get away with staying on a permanent mooring, like those at Southcote, but it's not something to rely on. You might just be moved on like that, no notice, just told to go. And AFAIK no room for widebeams at the moment.

A friend nearly bought a dutch barge at Thames & Kennet, apparently the mooring cost six grand a year! :)

Good luck! Come and say hello if you are down this way.

The rapidly increasing number of Widebeams at the western end of the K & A is beginning to become a bit of an issue with some boaters. The problem is that whilst the locks are 14 ft wide, much of the canal is quite narrow, add to that the profile of the canal which does not allow deeper boats within two feet of the edge and you have a problem passing. There are quite a few places where two deep draughted narrowboats can pass only with care. Two widebeams just wouldn't fit.

Although I only live a mile away from the K & A I no longer keep my boat on it for a number of reasons, including the lack of mooring places for deep draughted boats. Consequently the Widebeam issue doesn't really bother me, however you should be aware that some private boaters may be hostile towards you, especially if you moor in a narrow section.

I tried to allude to this, not wanting to upset anyone, but David bitten the bullet and has put it very well. There is a growing hostility to widebeams, particularly around Bradford and you may not be made to feel particularly welcome with one. There are a number of hire widebeams in this area too and the combination of width, lack of manoeuvrability and graceless, inexperienced crews haas caused problems especially at the BoA lock and at the aqueducts (Avoncliffe and Dundas). The other issue is the inefficient use of locks with a widebeam. That has particular implications when water is short but this is a general issue with widebeams and not just in this area.

Regards, Jill

Stay narrow and stylish!

Widebeams a problem? Can't get past? You need a 'boatsqueeze ' beam reducer, available at Robert Dyas, rapidly and painlessly reduces your narrowboat to 2ft6 beam to allow them past and to enable lock sharing. NOT AVAILABLE IN TESCO. £599-.

Widebeams a problem? Can't get past? You need a 'boatsqueeze ™' beam reducer, available at Robert Dyas, rapidly and painlessly reduces your narrowboat to 2ft6 beam to allow them past and to enable lock sharing. NOT AVAILABLE IN TESCO. £599-.

Is that what they used in the Harry Potter film with the bus? Do you get a free beserk driver as a special offer too?

Hmmm... well I hadn't thought of that :) So the extra space costs more money in boats, mooring and people's goodwill ! :blush:

I'll defintely come down at the end of july and have a mooch about in person (i'll PM people nearer to the time and come and visit :blush: )

The other issue is the inefficient use of locks with a widebeam. That has particular implications when water is short but this is a general issue with widebeams and not just in this area.

However, one must remember that the K&A was originally built for widebeams!

Not that I'm biased of course. :)

Edited by tomandsophie

Although I really like the look of some of the wide Beams..

and can totally see where Tom & Sophie are coming from with the above comment...

as someone who has a deep draughted boat I can agree it makes it very difficult not to go aground sometimes

when steering past a wide beam..

especially now the weeds and grasses have grown up on the water margins...

However, one must remember that the K&A was originally built for widebeams!

Not that I'm biased of course. :)

I'm afraid it's a bit more complicated than that. The K & A was not built as a through canal in the first instance. BY 1723 the River Kennet had been made navigable betyween Reading and Newbury, and by 1727 the River Avon had been made navigable from Bristol to Bath. Both these sections were designed to enable river barges to reach the far ends of the navigation.

It was then decided to join the two sections and the Canal section was opened in 1810. The practice of having wide locks was maintained, however these were not normal locks but turf sided locks which were given to errosion and reqiuired frequent maintenance. Much later most of these locks were replaced with more permanent structures of varying designs and dimensions. All were capable of containing two full length narrowboats which were the normal type of craft used along the full length of the canal.

In the 19th century a boatyard was developed at Honey Street which built wider boats known as Honey Street Barges, but because of the canal's profile these were built with barrel shaped sides to enable two of these craft to pass each other without collision. The canal was never capable of accomodating fully loaded Wideboats with straight sided hulls, and it was only the misguided and uninformed encouragement of Michael Goodenough, the previous K & A manager that saw the wholesale introduction of these unsuitable craft on the Canal section of the K & A.

Edited by David Schweizer