Growlights aboard?

Jenwil

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

According to google, chillies need considerable warmth to germinate but once growing can be grown in a greenhouse or conservatory . I can't find any mention of needing an extractor for ventilation.

Maybe someone with horticultural knowledge will tell me otherwise.

I greenhouse or conservatory would be a lot larger than a sealed growing tent atop a NB.  They would also be reasonably well ventilated.  I've grown a few chillies this year outside on my mooring, but could only get them to germinate in the warmth of my windowsills, and that was in may/june.  

I'd concur with previous posters, you need a shoreline hookup.  Many hobbies are incompatible with off grid boat living.  Before moving aboard, I kept chickens and tropical fish.  The fish went to a local special needs school, the chooks went to friend.  I still miss them.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

I had a friend who kept chickens and ducks. One of the drakes took a real fancy to one of the chickens - she wasn’t amused. 

Given the way ducks seem get the job done, she was damned lucky it was only one! And that she wasn't drowned in the process! :blink:

Personally I cannot understand people's facination with chillies. In my experience all they do is destroy the flavour of everything else they are served up with.

I can onlty assume that some poeople relish the idea of going to bed with a mouth that feels like it has had a bonfire in it all evening.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Personally I cannot understand people's facination with chillies. In my experience all they do is destroy the flavour of everything else they are served up with.

I can onlty assume that some poeople relish the idea of going to bed with a mouth that feels like it has had a bonfire in it all evening.

There are many different flavours and strengths of chilli peppers, and they are satisfying to grow. 

If you are serious about growing them indoors on the long term, a slightly raised skylight combined with decent horticultural Led's as supplemental lighting, both to boost light levels and adjust day length, would be less heavy on resources.  

28 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Chillies are like guiness, you aquire a taste for them, once you get used to them the heat goes away and the flavour can be tasted. I served for a year in Bornoe and got used to them out there, when I got home all food was sort of insipid untilI got used to doing without them. They now burn the gob off me :giggles:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Power-Plant-Light-Panel/dp/B00RAZ7HKE

There are 12 volt growlights avaliable , this one is just a crappie panel version but would still do the job.

You can get a decent one for around £500 that would be more than enough for your needs.

There are 12 volt growlights avaliable , this one is just a crappie panel version but would still do the job.

You can get a decent one for around £500 that would be more than enough for your needs.

2 minutes ago, notts_alan said:

That one’s also not available. 

Edited by notts_alan
duplicate post

2 minutes ago, notts_alan said:

Have a Google and I am sure you will find some , my Internet is a bit slow and a pain to search , the led lights would be more economical to use and hardly any heat given from them so you can get them real close to your chillies .

Yep, I posted that here:

12 minutes ago, notts_alan said:

Still looks like the cheapo version , better with Cree led like what nasa uses.

Or, particularly on a boat with severe power restrictions, better to grow chillies in the chilli growing season. Maybe go for brussel sprouts as a winter crop?

3 hours ago, notts_alan said:

As her current set up is 200W flourescent, then an LED equivalent is probably (guessing) 50W or so.  You can get these for a lot less than £500

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60W-LED-Plant-Grow-Light-Indoor-Vegetable-Flower-Full-Spectrum-Lamp-RED-4colors/352195858645?hash=item52008250d5:g:45IAAOSw1NFaK6Of

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Or, particularly on a boat with severe power restrictions, better to grow chillies in the chilli growing season

Well, quite. Grow them, eat them fresh when they are in season, pickled, frozen or dried the rest of the year. This is growing food, not buying from Waitrose

Richard

Edited by RLWP

16 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Well, quite. Grow them, eat them fresh when they are in season, pickled, frozen or dried the rest of the year. This is growing food, not buying from Waitrose

Richard

We freeze chillis at home. Always have a freezer bag full of them. Every bit as good as fresh for cooking but a bit soggy if you really want to eat them raw. 

Just now, WotEver said:

We freeze chillis at home. Always have a freezer bag full of them. Every bit as good as fresh for cooking but a bit soggy if you really want to eat them raw. 

For salads, I'd rather have them pickled

Richard