Navigating River Trent

Tuttifruity

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Possibly the worst fish and chips I have ever had the misfortune of paying for....

It will be a bit longer for the Soar to drop, the fields are now being filled.

The fish and chips were spot on the last time we went. That is a few years ago now though!

5 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The fish and chips were spot on the last time we went. That is a few years ago now though!

Used the chippy in August, threw most of it away!! They advertise that it's the best chippy in town, wouldn't call Keadby a town, but as it is the only chippy in Keadby, it has to be the best!!

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 08:52, TheDuker said:

Allan de enfielkd Tony Dunkley to see if he's available to help you. He's been boating on the Trent professionally on commercial barges and tugs, with some pleasure craft time as well, for nearly 60 years, so he's beginning to get to know the river quite well by now. You can contact him on 07553 294325 , or e-mail at > tony@canalrivertransport.com <

Probably one of the most helpful guys I've come across give him a call - loads of advice available tides equipment also one other guy on here Allan de Enfield - see my post headed Nottingham to Leeds Mar 15 2016 which has got a lot of what you want already posted by these guys .

Edited by Halsey

1 hour ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Used the chippy in August, threw most of it away!! They advertise that it's the best chippy in town, wouldn't call Keadby a town, but as it is the only chippy in Keadby, it has to be the best!!

Must have gone very downhill since we were last there!

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Tuttifruity said:

Hurray cranfleet lock is open! Have now got to end of Nottingham Canal and will set off early before they close Meadow lock!  :)

Have fun. Nice run all the way now. :D Heed the lockies onto and off the tidal bit.

Have great trip, just make sure your phones are fully charged and you put the lockies numbers in your phone before you go especially on the tidal in case you need to stop off along the route and keep them updated on your impending arrival, assuming you dont have V.H.F.... and have a safe and pleasant journey :)  

Rick

6 minutes ago, Tuttifruity said:

Thanks! Have got to Newark at 3.30 but no answer for Cromwell lock to book a passage. Will try again in the morning.  I’ve got 2 numbers, are these right?

01636 821213

07887 765485

;)

Landline looks ok but try 07887 754 485

23 minutes ago, Tuttifruity said:

Thanks! Have got to Newark at 3.30 but no answer for Cromwell lock to book a passage. Will try again in the morning.  I’ve got 2 numbers, are these right?

01636 821213

07887 765485

;)

Yep, should be 

07887 754485

If you want Torksey for any reason

01427 718202

07884 238781

and, a reminder of Keadby

01724 782205

07733 124611

Weather is looking very bland for the next few days and the wind isn't too strong.

Enjoy the rest of the trip

Kevin

Edited by Kev's Halcyon

Another vote for 07887 754 485  is correct according to my phone book.

Neap tides tomorrow so probably makes no difference when you go through  at Cromwell but aim to arrive at Torksey as early as possible.

High water at Cromwell is in theory at 06:15.

The flood starts at Torksey at 15:22 but I expect  you should be moored up well before then .

Hello everyone! We spent last night in Newark and spoke to the lovely chap at Cromwell Lock. Went through there this morning and have arrived at Torksey for the night, the river was pretty calm and very pretty all the way.  He advised us to set off at 8.15am to get to  Keadby so fingers crossed! ⚓️

1 hour ago, Tuttifruity said:

Hello everyone! We spent last night in Newark and spoke to the lovely chap at Cromwell Lock. Went through there this morning and have arrived at Torksey for the night, the river was pretty calm and very pretty all the way.  He advised us to set off at 8.15am to get to  Keadby so fingers crossed! ⚓️

Awesome. Lovely run to Keadby tomorrow then. Just watch sandbank on lock entrance depending on river height :cheers:

Last year my journey from Torksey back to Bluewater Marina in Thorne took just under 9 hours, so maybe a bit too far for a day at this time of the year. I'm currently on the visitor moorings in Thorne, Halcyon is a little sick, so the lads at Thorne Boatyard are checking engine over in the morning. There's plenty of space here, if you decide to stop, but if you want to go another hour and half, you'll get to Stainforth, the New Inn has good food and they have their own moorings. Best to book for evening meals, 01302 841614.

Now, however, there is the continuing saga of Thorne pedestrian bridge, it's more of a pain than it usually is. The bridge unlocks, moves about 6", then stops. I rang the number this morning and got voicemail, left a message and he has yet to reply. Another boater mentioned pushing it, so we got out the barge-pole, I kept my thumb on the open button and the other boater pushed with the barge-pole, this was enough to get it moving. When opening and closing this bridge, make sure you push the gates backward and forward to ensure the locks have engaged. Also when closing it, keep your thumb on the 'close' button until the siren stops, this can be about 6 seconds after the bridge appears to have closed.

Give Halcyon a wave as you go through the bridge.

and, as mrsmelly said, watch the sandbank, I know it's there, I found it the time before last!!

Kevin

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Last year my journey from Torksey back to Bluewater Marina in Thorne took just under 9 hours, so maybe a bit too far for a day at this time of the year. I'm currently on the visitor moorings in Thorne, Halcyon is a little sick, so the lads at Thorne Boatyard are checking engine over in the morning. There's plenty of space here, if you decide to stop, but if you want to go another hour and half, you'll get to Stainforth, the New Inn has good food and they have their own moorings. Best to book for evening meals, 01302 841614.

Now, however, there is the continuing saga of Thorne pedestrian bridge, it's more of a pain than it usually is. The bridge unlocks, moves about 6", then stops. I rang the number this morning and got voicemail, left a message and he has yet to reply. Another boater mentioned pushing it, so we got out the barge-pole, I kept my thumb on the open button and the other boater pushed with the barge-pole, this was enough to get it moving. When opening and closing this bridge, make sure you push the gates backward and forward to ensure the locks have engaged. Also when closing it, keep your thumb on the 'close' button until the siren stops, this can be about 6 seconds after the bridge appears to have closed.

Give Halcyon a wave as you go through the bridge.

and, as mrsmelly said, watch the sandbank, I know it's there, I found it the time before last!!

Kevin

It was always a friendly yard. We had a winter mooring in there winter of 91 or there abouts it was our third winter living aboard and I have pictures of us frozen solid in there that winter. Does it still have the little club house with great sunday dinners for the residents? They were about to build a house in the grounds when we were there. Those poxy bridges are a right pain in the butt innitt!! Your advice re he present state of the bridge is brilliant and just what the forum is about ( apart from the banter ) :cheers:

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It was always a friendly yard. We had a winter mooring in there winter of 91 or there abouts it was our third winter living aboard and I have pictures of us frozen solid in there that winter. Does it still have the little club house with great sunday dinners for the residents? They were about to build a house in the grounds when we were there. Those poxy bridges are a right pain in the butt innitt!! Your advice re he present state of the bridge is brilliant and just what the forum is about ( apart from the banter ) :cheers:

That bridge over the years has been the bain of my life!! hateful thing to say the least

• Happy 1

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Nah, dont like that Avatar. Much prefer the previous one.