Navigating River Trent

Tuttifruity

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Tuttifruity said:

It’s me :mellow:.  Lockkeepers were brill on the tidal Trent. Got to Keadby too early! Only took 3 hours from Torksey so trod water for a bit between M180 and Keadby bridges.

I am pleased you had a good  journey .

Must admit I would have been thinking of going  earlier and therefore arriving  earlier when the ebb was still flowing out. However you were quite correct in following the lock keepers instructions . There may have been good reasons why you were asked to arrive at the time you did.

Some years ago I asked a RYA instructor the best time of the tide to arrive at Keadby . He said  ''when you find out let me know''.

• Happy 1

12 hours ago, Tuttifruity said:

Ps. Never driven the boat so fast, we thought it was about 7 mph so got that wrong! Anyway, one day we might reach Sheffield. I wonder if Tinsley locks are broken until May!  Will wave to Halcyon when going past

Tinsley flight all ok, here's the lock keepers number 07710 175488, as mentioned you need to book passage 24hrs in advance,  better doing so at Doncaster as signal a bit hit and miss at Sprotborough, your best mooring at Ickles lock the day before you go up the flight, there will be space on the lock landing as nothing is moving up or down just you, so you will be ok for the night and it's only 5 minutes to Holmes lock where you meet the lock keepers. Better then staying at Eastwood.

Edited by PD1964

On 11/01/2018 at 17:29, mrsmelly said:

Bluewater twas. As for manualy operated bridges, don't be silly that would make sense they used to work all over the system todays " Progress " means they use electronics and hydraulics to build in problems that were never there and thus they can go wrong and DO go wrong all over the place. Remember we have to make it so people don't break their fingernails or get their hands dirty whilst boating nowadays :rolleyes:

I must be doing summat wrong then :lol:

Hello! The CRT guys were there at 8.30am this morning to fix the lift bridge properly, although they did manage to free the bloke in the van last night! We set off to the pedestrian bridge and fumbled for ages with the help of a nice local bloke (this sods always breaking, he said, and I said it’s a pity it’s isnt manual ) waved to Halcyon and got to Doncaster. Very nice. Will phone Tinsley in the morning.

Helloo!  We had tried phoning Tinsley Locks as we took off from Doncaster and left a message asking to use the locks tomorrow. Unfortunately they are having trouble with a pump and the lock keeper asked us to moor at eastwood lock.it was getting dark so we got to just before Rotherham lock where there are loads of workmen working on the station so hopefully safe! Will set off in the morning and get to icles lock and stop there. He advised us to stay away until Tuesday pm when he might have more info. We might poss head down on Wednesday or Thursday depending on how they get on.

sadly I’m so full of cold and have twisted something important since Wednesday so will be glad to get home and have a very deep hot bath! At least I’m not that far from the station in Rotherham and can get to sawley to pick my car up as it’s going to reside near Victoria Quays where we’ve asked for a permanent mooring.   Someone at Eastwood Marina said we have to pay at icles but we’re not bothered as long as the boats safe.  :unsure:

TOP TIP, you don't need to pay at Ickles, speak to Dave(lock keeper) and explain,  the lock keepers know the owner at Ickles, LEAVE your boat at Ickles NOT at Rotherham. There is nothing going down the flight so it will be ok to leave at Ickles, it is gated and safe, there's nothing moving so it will be ok, trust me.

Edited by PD1964

Big thanks for this, I’ve just received the alert from CRT saying Tinsley Locks are out of action, we’ve been so unlucky.  We did try to get from Doncaster all the way through Rotherham in one go because we had heard the local youths are a*******s, but it was getting dark when we got to Rotherham lock and there’s lots of bright lights with the blokes working outside the station right by us. We weren’t going to stay on Eastwood lock as one of the poor boats had graffiti all over it even over the windows.

oh well back to sitting it out again! ☹️

The graffiti boat belongs to a guy that used to moor at Tinsley who upset a lot of boaters with his attitude, he got moved off and CaRT again gave him a mooring, once again same attitude so that's what happened to get him out, I've never had any problems with the youths, then again I wouldn't stay in Rotherham, you'll be better just moving up to Ickles today and if needed leave the boat for a couple of days, much safer there, your the only ones moving, just keep in touch with the lock keepers for updates they'll get you up as soon as they can.

• Greenie 1

I am going to say something Eastwood is normally safe and has shops nearby [parkgate retail world] I always moor at Iccles for the night on the lock mooring if going up the flight. Plenty of boaters moor at Rotherham lock for the night without issues but one boat was burned out there [he and girl friend were druggies] The boat with graffiti at Eastwood apparently got what he deserved so I am told.

Now New years eve, my boat was broken into at Sheffield basin as was Musnt Grumbles boat, The person was a druggie and is in custody,  but all three coppers that interviewed us did tell us that the basin is drug central for Sheffield, it is ideally placed seconds from the Sheffield parkway to the M1/M18. In the basin is the cafe and also the Dorothy Pax a cracking bar who does great ales and also coffees, he is a boater and will look after you well he is called Richard.

I think I saw you going past last night then again about half an hour ago?

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

I am going to say something Eastwood is normally safe and has shops nearby [parkgate retail world] I always moor at Iccles for the night on the lock mooring if going up the flight. Plenty of boaters moor at Rotherham lock for the night without issues but one boat was burned out there [he and girl friend were druggies] The boat with graffiti at Eastwood apparently got what he deserved so I am told.

Now New years eve, my boat was broken into at Sheffield basin as was Musnt Grumbles boat, The person was a druggie and is in custody,  but all three coppers that interviewed us did tell us that the basin is drug central for Sheffield, it is ideally placed seconds from the Sheffield parkway to the M1/M18. In the basin is the cafe and also the Dorothy Pax a cracking bar who does great ales and also coffees, he is a boater and will look after you well he is called Richard.

Bollox, the basin at Sheffield is not drug central, I heard you and your partner were in the pub and left your boat wide open, Even the guy at the pub "Richard" said your boat was left open as the door could not be shut. So I take it you won't be going back Sheffield then?

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

I'm sure your friend "Richard" will not be impressed if your telling people the basin is "drug central" as it may impact on his new Pub with people going down there at night or rather not going down if it is so bad with drugs as your telling, you must be a real good friend.

I'm sure boaters who have been to Sheffield and enjoyed their stay will tell a different story to you.

Edited by PD1964

You did see us looking knackered no doubt! We were running very low on water and set sail from Doncaster, realising we were 50 feet from the water which was hidden by a small boat right in front of it, but thought never mind we’ll find water along the route no doubt. Got to Eastwood lock and didn’t realise the tap is in the lock! Never mind we’re nearly at Sheffield and Tinsley Locks have some, then horror, you can’t go anywhere for a few days at least. Eek! Nothing else to do but turn around and head back to Eastwood. Some nice boats along there.

As for Sheffield, we’ll be on one of the pontoons with a locked gate across the access so fingers crossed. 

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Tuttifruity said:

You did see us looking knackered no doubt! We were running very low on water and set sail from Doncaster, realising we were 50 feet from the water which was hidden by a small boat right in front of it, but thought never mind we’ll find water along the route no doubt. Got to Eastwood lock and didn’t realise the tap is in the lock! Never mind we’re nearly at Sheffield and Tinsley Locks have some, then horror, you can’t go anywhere for a few days at least. Eek! Nothing else to do but turn around and head back to Eastwood. Some nice boats along there.

As for Sheffield, we’ll be on one of the pontoons with a locked gate across the access so fingers crossed. 

Take no notice of his comments about Sheffield, his moorings are at Tulleys so you can see what it's like there. Sheffield is perfectly safe, just speak to the people who actually have moorings there, not someone from Rotherham who seems not to like Sheffield. Just see for yourself when your there.

Edited by PD1964
  • Angry 1

Sorry two of us have to attend court because we got broke into earlier last year the Dutch cruiser was broke into they have CCTV there and thats not for the good of their health. Strange but true never had hassle at Tulleys but Sheffield Basin has problems, Richard reported a couple of drug dealers just before Christmas so unless you wear blinkers.................. Because I dont and I watched the dealing whilst I was there blatant to say the least

3 hours ago, Tuttifruity said:

Yes you should be ok behind the locked gate, the guy that broke into musnt grumble and myself targeted the towpath and another area where musnt grumble lives, he was caught because of the CCTV

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Bollox, the basin at Sheffield is not drug central, I heard you and your partner were in the pub and left your boat wide open, Even the guy at the pub "Richard" said your boat was left open as the door could not be shut. So I take it you won't be going back Sheffield then?

Musnt Grumble was all locked up didnt stop that boat getting broken into did it? As the copper said the open door just saved them breaking the window [the door was closed not wide open] and he was more than likely watching the boat anyway.

Edited by peterboat

There's no Dutch cruiser that was or has been broken into. So you have to attend court as you were broken into early 2017????? When was that then? There's CCTV everywhere in Sheffield just like every major city in the country. 

I do remember a theft from a boat in Jonathan's yard where parts of a vintage engine were stolen, the owner is convinced he knows who it was, do you?

I take it you won't be taking your boat back to Sheffield then if it's that bad?

16 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

There's no Dutch cruiser that was or has been broken into. So you have to attend court as you were broken into early 2017????? When was that then? There's CCTV everywhere in Sheffield just like every major city in the country. 

I do remember a theft from a boat in Jonathan's yard where parts of a vintage engine were stolen, the owner is convinced he knows who it was, do you?

I take it you won't be taking your boat back to Sheffield then if it's that bad?

Go look at the big blue steel dutch cruiser moored on the other side of the basin to the Pax have a look at the broken window boarded up on the inside. I have to attend court this year as we were broken into new years eve last year [2017] Anyway I believe the 3 coppers and the fact that dealing goes on where you can see it, as for going back yes more than likely and I will stay at Johnies yard where the big gates and fence provide some protection.

I love the insinuation that it was me that stole the vintage parts! I am sure they will fit my modern widebeam or my electric motored broads cruiser :giggles: Johny and I have known each other for years my boat was built by him I have been drinking in his pub, and we both have respect for each other, so no I have no idea who stole the parts but if I did Johny would be the first to know

Edited by peterboat

9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Go look at the big blue steel dutch cruiser moored on the other side of the basin to the Pax have a look at the broken window boarded up on the inside. I have to attend court this year as we were broken into new years eve last year [2017] Anyway I believe the 3 coppers and the fact that dealing goes on where you can see it, as for going back yes more than likely and I will stay at Johnies yard where the big gates and fence provide some protection

That window was broken 4 years ago and nothing to do with a break in,

But vintage engine parts get stolen from Jonnies yard even with big gates don't they.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

I love the insinuation that it was me that stole the vintage parts! I am sure they will fit my modern widebeam or my electric motored broads cruiser :giggles: Johny and I have known each other for years my boat was built by him I have been drinking in his pub, and we both have respect for each other, so no I have no idea who stole the parts but if I did Johny would be the first to know

What makes you think I was insinuating anything? You're seemed to of insinuated yourself??? I was only saying vintage engine parts have been stolen from there even with fencing and big gates and you seam to know what goes on around the Sheffield canal so might know something about it.

Edited by PD1964

We’re still at Rotherham station as we’ve needed to get prescriptions from Paul’s doctors in Sheffield. He’d had enough to last the journey but Tinsley breaking down was a stretch too far. One thing we’ve found on our travels in the winter is the lock keepers aren’t usually on duty, the yellow light is lit, so I wonder if Dave will be at ickles?