Navigating River Trent

Tuttifruity

Featured Posts

Hi all, we’re on route to Sheffield from the Peak Forest canal and have never been on the river Trent before (never been on any river before!). We had to go the long way round due to stoppages, and we pulled into Sawley Marina to refuel. Unfortunately while we were there, we received an emergency notification that Cranfleet flood lock had to be closed until further notice due to the river going into flood. Can anyone advise if this can go on for a few days or could it be for the rest of the winter?  We’re not sure what to do

The river is full of melting snow water and also some heavy rain over the last few days, most of this is coming down the Derwent, which joins just above Sawley.

The Soar,  which joins just opposite the Cranfleet cut is also in flood, probably a foot above normal at Barrow. 

The Soar was already dropping but seems to be rising again following more overnight snow to the south of Leicester. ,The Trent usually takes longer to drop, but with little rain, should be navigable again within less than a week. 

The Trent wiers are fierce when the river is moving fast, don't be tempted to move early if you don't know the river.

Edited by matty40s

10 hours ago, Tuttifruity said:

Hi all, we’re on route to Sheffield from the Peak Forest canal and have never been on the river Trent before (never been on any river before!). We had to go the long way round due to stoppages, and we pulled into Sawley Marina to refuel. Unfortunately while we were there, we received an emergency notification that Cranfleet flood lock had to be closed until further notice due to the river going into flood. Can anyone advise if this can go on for a few days or could it be for the rest of the winter?  We’re not sure what to do

You'll be waiting at Sawley for the Trent to drop for at least 2-3 days, and if you haven't done any river boating before then you really should use the time to make sure that both your boat and yourselves are up to making the downriver passage to Keadby. 

Give all the mechanicals and fuel system a thorough checking over, and also do some running trials/tests to be certain that your engine is capable of operating continuously at full power for long periods - at the very least 3-4 hours. You should also equip yourselves with a suitable anchor and cable as well as navigation lights.

With only around seven and a half hours of daylight at this time of year, and short working hours at Cromwell and Keadby locks, you'll need some advice on the best choice of days, and times, for the last leg downriver from Cromwell to Keadby.  It would probably be best to go in company with another boat with a skipper having had some previous experience of that stretch of the river, or employ a pilot for this part of the journey, but at the very least, get hold of some copies of the navigation charts for the lower Trent - try Sawley Marina. If you would prefer to have a pilot aboard try someone called Tony Dunkley to see if he's available to help you. He's been boating on the Trent professionally on commercial barges and tugs, with some pleasure craft time as well, for nearly 60 years, so he's beginning to get to know the river quite well by now. You can contact him on 07553 294325 , or e-mail at > tony@canalrivertransport.com <

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, TheDuker said:

Tony Dunkley to see if he's available to help you. He's been boating on the Trent professionally on commercial barges and tugs, with some pleasure craft time as well, for nearly 60 years, so he's beginning to get to know the river quite well by now

... But no spring chicken :)

Sorry for late reply, struggling with wifi on I pad so using very small phone! Thanks for everyone's advice and have spoken to Tony whose laid up with a very sore tootsie! Will set up the anchor with lots more rope as well as the chain in case we need it, and will test the engine at full blast for a few hours. It's a barrhus and ive only ever had it at 2000 revs max for hours on end. Prob no chance of getting to sheffield in time for Christmas though!  Might end up at sea. Will keep u posted :unsure:

7 minutes ago, Tuttifruity said:

thanks, I’ve had a look at the videos which are very useful. Also we mustn’t moor up once we get to Keadby or we’ll have no boat left due to the local night life :detective:

Keadby is fine to moor at dont listen to the cows droppings you may have heard on the grapevine. The whole trip is rather nice just take advice on current river levels and timing on the tidal bit twixt cromwell and Keadby. You dont need vhf but anyone with any sense carries it. Standard safety kit such as lifejackets and anchor obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwGfFVBK1w

This is a time-lapse of my trip earlier this year from West Stockwith to Keadby. I rang the lockie at Keadby as I passed under Gunness bridge to make sure the lock was set and ready for me, the number is 07733 124611. I've stayed at Keadby a few times without incident, mostly just dog walkers that you'll see. Listen to the advice given by the lockie at Cromwell, if you happen to stop at Torksey, there's safe moorings just off the river without needing to go through the lock. I've done Keadby to Cromwell in a single hop once, left Keadby at 8-30, arrived Cromwell at 5-30. My faithfull Perkins 4108 was set at 1500 revs for the entire trip. It's about 42 miles.

Kevin

On 12/17/2017 at 17:39, Tuttifruity said:

thanks, I’ve had a look at the videos which are very useful. Also we mustn’t moor up once we get to Keadby or we’ll have no boat left due to the local night life :detective:

We have never had a problem mooring at Keadby. Well other than the lack of a good pub. Good fish and chips as well around the corner from the moorings.

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas everyone! We’ve come back to the boat but unfortunately cranfleet/Trent lock is padlocked again and sawley lock has a red light on so we’ll have to wait around again. There’s nothing come through on email or on the CRT website so presume they haven’t had chance due to the Christmas hols

6 minutes ago, Tuttifruity said:

Merry Christmas everyone! We’ve come back to the boat but unfortunately cranfleet/Trent lock is padlocked again and sawley lock has a red light on so we’ll have to wait around again. There’s nothing come through on email or on the CRT website so presume they haven’t had chance due to the Christmas hols

The soar is in flood so the area you want to traverse will be a deffo no go. It could be down in two days but with all the recent rain I think from my not inconsiderable Trent experience that aint going to happen too quickly.

4 minutes ago, Tuttifruity said:

Thanks Tim, at least we’re by a water point :unsure:

Yeah that certainly helps in the circumstances. You also have the Derwent pouring into the bit you want to go out onto and that empties from a large hilly area :mellow:. Still you are not far from PUBS :D

36 minutes ago, Tuttifruity said:

Ive sent you a pm.

The River Trent here at Farndon is up a little and on the rise,  as indicated  by the output from the Environment Agency website.  Lots of rain  usually takes a  couple of days before its effect on the river reaches us. So the rain last night has probably not yet had an impact.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2185

Bear in mind peak levels upstream will take time to work downstream so don't be in too much of a rush to move , when you are able to do so.

Also keep an eye on the levels at Torksey , for the tidal section of your journey.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2128

On 19/12/2017 at 08:03, Naughty Cal said:

We have never had a problem mooring at Keadby. Well other than the lack of a good pub. Good fish and chips as well around the corner from the moorings.

Possibly the worst fish and chips I have ever had the misfortune of paying for....

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The soar is in flood so the area you want to traverse will be a deffo no go. It could be down in two days but with all the recent rain I think from my not inconsiderable Trent experience that aint going to happen too quickly.

It will be a bit longer for the Soar to drop, the fields are now being filled.