Domestic water quality

jammin1620

Featured Posts

I have been reading up on Legionnaires all morning. Here is a source of balanced, evidence-based medical research which supports my contention that showers are not dangerous. It is now suggested that a common route to infection is aspiration, where fluid is accidentally taken into the lungs by people whose choking reflex is defective or absent. Smoking being a big risk factor. Where people caught LD in a hospital type setting they always found Legionella in the water system. In some countries it is mandatory to test nearby cooling towers for the bacterium and this is why cooling towers were implicated so often, test of water taps was not mandatory so the true source was often missed. There are many different species (50 plus) and nowadays the true source can be more readily identified.

This is a copy of my January post in a similar thread.

2 minutes ago, Harpur Hill said:

When my aged parents were in mental & physical decline they kept complaining that the tea didn't taste "right."

Eventually, I thought I'd better investigate.

I found two rusty, disintegrating Brillo pads in the bottom of the kettle!

Dad lived to 86 & Mum to 97

Were they definitely Brillo pads?  Some people put scoureers in their kettles inhard water areas to trap the scale.  But, generally, they were of stainless steel.  I think Brillo pads would make the tea pink and soapy.

This talk of Legionella triggered my memory, and 2 people died from water droplets from a display of a hot tub, BUT it contained the same water for weeks and had not been cleaned etc, so nothing like a boat.   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-40479742

So whilst you can get legionella from hot tubs etc, this was nothing like a normal domestic situation.

12 minutes ago, mross said:

Were they definitely Brillo pads?  Some people put scoureers in their kettles inhard water areas to trap the scale.  But, generally, they were of stainless steel.  I think Brillo pads would make the tea pink and soapy.

A soft water area, Mum routinely used Brillo but may have used another brand depending on what what her "shopper" brought, all that remained was a tangled rusty mass. Twas very fine wire as found in Brillo, other pads always seemed to be of coarser material.

They were confused, bless 'em, I once found Dad's teeth in the tea pot!

Just now, Harpur Hill said:

A soft water area, Mum routinely used Brillo but may have used another brand depending on what what her "shopper" brought, all that remained was a tangled rusty mass. Twas very fine wire as found in Brillo, other pads always seemed to be of coarser material.

They were confused, bless 'em, I once found Dad's teeth in the tea pot!

I hope it was before you drank your cup of tea.............

• 4 weeks later...

If you are concerned, make sure you flame the tap with a flaming alcohol  swab [meths on  wire], after  flushing through for a few minutes. Contamination occurs at these points rather than the water source.

And make sure you do it before emptyng the Elsan!

On 16/12/2017 at 10:20, mross said:

I have been reading up on Legionnaires all morning. Here is a source of balanced, evidence-based medical research which supports my contention that showers are not dangerous. It is now suggested that a common route to infection is aspiration, where fluid is accidentally taken into the lungs by people whose choking reflex is defective or absent. Smoking being a big risk factor. Where people caught LD in a hospital type setting they always found Legionella in the water system. In some countries it is mandatory to test nearby cooling towers for the bacterium and this is why cooling towers were implicated so often, test of water taps was not mandatory so the true source was often missed. There are many different species (50 plus) and nowadays the true source can be more readily identified.

This is a copy of my January post in a similar thread.

I would rarely shower in unmonitored public showers, and would always keep mouth shut. My Dad picked up a disease when abroad, probably dirty shower.

An egg cup of bleach in a gallon of water will sterlise clean surfaces.

I use paper towels not shared towels in the house, [saves on washing too] Not that I am over anxious, just a lot more carefull these days as I seem to be more suscepible, and I do have a scientific/foodhygiene background.

E.Coli remains the indicator of faecal contamination as far as I am concerned. Dodgy plumbing or bad practices are both indicated.

Edited by LadyG