Brotherly Love?

lampini

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, lampini said:

Deffo him! 

My issue is not so much the icebreaking in the dark, but doing it whilst obviously pissed as a parrot is an idiot thing to do.. 

And of course, walking back 1/4 mile, through private land just to threaten our lives on a night like that... glad you didn't say owt to him or it'd be you as well! The guy really is a psycho - main reason I have not a moments hesitation in "naming n shaming"...  Hope all is good Jen - it seems thawed here now!

This morning we had to use the services at Hawkesbury, and as a boat had passed this morning, together with the slight thaw, we untied.  We turned around and came back on the Coventry and onto the Ashby. We were pleased with him though for breaking up the ice for us :)

But if he'd have had an accident or something, easily done if you're on your own, in extreme conditions, in the dark, worse for wear, far from anyone - it could have been serious. It's a pretty lonely stretch towards the Ashby

38 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Well it was. If they had just sat tight and not spoken to this chap then he wouldn't have come back to have words with them and ruin their evening.

Yes he shouldn't have been drunk at the helm or speeding through ice and I'm not condoning that. But they did make a rod for their own back by interacting with him in the first instance.

Sometimes it is just better to leave alone and get on with your whatever you were doing. The annoyance will be gone in a flash and you never have to see them again.

It is our civic duty to call out boors and yobs.  It's very tempting to say, 'never get involved'.  Long live public-spirited people.  Even staring at noisy people in a cafe seems to still have a salutary effect on most people. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Was it not hanging his head out of the boat and confronting the man in the first instance that caused this?

I tend to agree with you on this. I used to be very much the type to get involved. I saw this go catastrophically wrong a while ago. I now avoid confrontation if possible. Ian.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They havnt got lives but can spell apparently :rolleyes:

I can spell. I have a life.. Not that clever though...

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Was it not hanging his head out of the boat and confronting the man in the first instance that caused this?

Perhaps but a not unnatural reaction to look out (and the side hatch is probably the quickest exit to get to) to see what the loud noise is and what is causing the boat to roll about and move when it is dark. Having seen that it is a speeding boat breaking up ice do you 

1. watch and see what happens - ice can cause boats to move in a direction the steerer didn't intend ad the boat may have swung towards you or

2. Shut the side hatch and sit down hoping that none of the above happens or 

3 Ask the steerer to slow down a bit 

Haggis

Whiskey is the spelling used in Ireland and America.  Scotland, Canada and most of the rest of the world spell it whisky,  I was not 'correcting' anyone's spelling.

58 minutes ago, Nicktheplumber said:

Whiskey isn’t worth the glass it was bottled in

Turf Mor, from Connemara, is a stunning whiskey!

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

The ONLY thing you ever add to Whiskey is  another.

Thats what I thought until I was instructed by a whiky expert. He got me to taste it neat, then with just a teaspoon of water in it, the better nose and flavour was noticable.

12 minutes ago, mross said:

Whiskey is the spelling used in Ireland and America.  Scotland, Canada and most of the rest of the world spell it whisky,  I was not 'correcting' anyone's spelling.

Turf Mor, from Connemara, is a stunning whiskey!

I'm partial to a wee Jimmies.

25 minutes ago, artleknock said:

Thats what I thought until I was instructed by a whiky expert. He got me to taste it neat, then with just a teaspoon of water in it, the better nose and flavour was noticable.

I'm partial to a wee Jimmies.

Most whisky has already got water added to it to make it a precise ABV, say 40 percent just adding water simply err waters it down. I had several top  whisky authors from across the world stop in our rooms and sample the 180 we stocked at the pub and indeed was shown the whys and wherefors of various whiskys/eys. Cask strength is the way to go as they differ greatly due to the ABV content. Must admit to not being a connosieur ( spelling ) I prefer a good XO or Paradis myself though each to their own :cheers:

Edit to add, I had a bottle of Paradis in my cupboard at my house when My present wife visited for a few drinks one night, her tipple was Brandy and coke which she usualy had with cheap crap such as remy vsop or similar. I told her to help herself and she had a few drinks over the evening. Next day I had to laugh as I noticed( my fault ) that she had been using the Paradis and mixing it with coke :lol: That taught me to do it for her after then with the usual rubbish. A very expensive lesson on how to ruin good booze.

Edited by mrsmelly

I like a splash of sparkling water or 'soda' in my whisky as I think any alcohol content above 40% overpowers the flavour.  Perrier is nice and annoys the purists!  I think chemists have proved that adding water does change some chemistry in the glass.  But all whisky contains water already as you say. 

Distilling was invented by the Arabs!   Bless 'em.

Edited by mross

5 minutes ago, mross said:

I like a splash of sparkling water or 'soda' in my whisky as I think any alcohol content above 40% overpowers the flavour.  Perrier is nice and annoys the purists!  I think chemists have proved that adding water does change some chemistry in the glass.  But all whisky contains water already as you say.  

Absolutely agree there is nowt better than winding a purist up you should take it how you like it, my earlier post was an obvious wind up. I put orange juice in my gin sometimes :lol: and always of course angostura.

38 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They havnt got lives but can spell apparently :rolleyes:

I’d guess that was partially aimed towards me .

I have a life and being dyslexic really can’t spell without spellcheck so would never correct anyone . We all learn new things every day , MrOss who’s picture looks more like Mr Ed has taught me that whisky can come from Canada , something I didn’t know until today , I thought it was exclusively a Scottish thing with whiskey coming from the rest of the world . 

I shall try Turf Mor when I get the chance .

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Nicktheplumber said:

I’d guess that was partially aimed towards me .

I have a life and being dyslexic really can’t spell without spellcheck so would never correct anyone . We all learn new things every day , MrOss who’s picture looks more like Mr Ed has taught me that whisky can come from Canada , something I didn’t know until today , I thought it was exclusively a Scottish thing with whiskey coming from the rest of the world . 

I shall try Turf Mor when I get the chance .

You are doing better than me, I don't even know where I would find or how I would use Spellcheck :lol: although schpellin means nowt to me.

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Most whisky has already got water added to it to make it a precise ABV, say 40 percent just adding water simply err waters it down.

As Captain Becher said when he was thrown into the brook at the jump now named after him "I never realised water tasted so foul without whisky in it!"

42 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You are doing better than me, I don't even know where I would find or how I would use Spellcheck :lol: although schpellin means nowt to me.

I’ve never used a laptop kind of computer , only ever an iPad , it trys to predict what I’m trying to write and if I spell something incorrectly it underlines it in red or changes what I’ve written , sometimes a pain but it’s normally right . 

Shame about the Turf Mor but I’ll be more open to an Irish single malt in future .

7 minutes ago, Nicktheplumber said:

Shame about the Turf Mor but I’ll be more open to an Irish single malt in future

Do you like peaty malts like the whiskys from Islay?  I love Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig.   If you do, Connemara's Peated Single Malt is worth a try.

Japan also makes excellent whisky and has done since 1870.  

31 minutes ago, mross said:

Do you like peaty malts like the whiskys from Islay?  I love Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig.   If you do, Connemara's Peated Single Malt is worth a try.

Japan also makes excellent whisky and has done since 1870.  

Don't they just. Have drank several really good Japanese whiskies. Also I would put a vote in for English produce. I first got switched on to these when we cruised through Newbury. There was an excellent shop selling some lovely English whiskies. Ian.