Ventilation without the icy blast

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

The Sprout Curry Gastro Terrorists.

Our grandaughter hates sprouts, so SWMBO has bought chocolate sprouts for Christmas.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't have gas,

I dont have gas either .......but we dont switch the gas off on the boat overnight. We do have a new gas monitor but that is in the garage at home.

Could you mount a solid baffle in front of the low level vents? If fitted on legs so that it stands a small distance away from the louvres, it will admit air but prevent the draught from coming straight through.

It the  area around the gaps between the edges of the baffle and the fixed louvre was the same as the area of the low level vents area, the BSS calculated ventilation area would be unaffected.

I was told thst gaps around doors, hatches etc are "fortuitous ventilation", and are not taken into account for the BSS calculations, so you could seal the gaps around doors etc with draught excluding foam strips.

13 hours ago, mross said:

The formula for calculating the fixed ventilation requirement (in mm2 )is as follows:
=    [2200 xU] +  [650 x P] +  [550 x H] + [440 x F],  where:
U= inpu rating for all unflued appliances (inc. cookers)(in kW)
P = number of persons for which the accommodation space is designed
H = nominal output rating of all open‐flued solid fuel appliances(in kW)
F = input rating for all open‐flued appliances(in kW)

Thanks for that. I've done a quick calculation based on our 2-berth 48-footer and if you increase the number of berths from 2 to 6 the required ventilation area goes up by about 25%.

46 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I was told thst gaps around doors, hatches etc are "fortuitous ventilation", and are not taken into account for the BSS calculations, so you could seal the gaps around doors etc with draught excluding foam strips.

Thanks CH. Certainly might be an idea for my stern doors as there's plenty of intentional vent back there. Some are, I think, deliberate gaps to allow air flow like those over and under internal doors. Certainly the top of the door I'm having bother with is like that  but the bottom is relatively closely cut so I'll be looking at fitting an excluder there. The towel is doing a good job in the meantime!