Bargain hunt and Lister

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

Fascinating. What do you mean by "coopered"? - in the shape of a barrel? I wonder if it may have been a gift from the company to an employee.

I remember seeing, long ago and probably in these pages, a butcher's meat mincer with "Bolinder" cast into it, so you never know.

They made all sorts of things......

First thing I found in Google was these.....

From this site.....

The R.A. Lister works have produced a huge range of different products throughout its lifetime. After formation in 1867, the company started out making agricultural implements including chaff cutters, corn crushers, oat cleaners, land rollers, horse gears, chain harrows and stone grinding mills. By the 1890s it was manufacturing the Dursley Pedersen Cycle and dairy equipment, especially cream separators which it shipped in volume.

Edited by alan_fincher

They'd get big bucks for it in Iran. They're bonkers on anything Lister. In Tehran there's a Mosque dedicated to R.A.Lister. All around the vwalls are pictures of of him and his engines. Most Iranians don't face Mecca , Medina when praying anymore, they now face roughly nor nor west towards Dudley.  :)

• Greenie 1

I suspect that Alan's research has yielded a clue: he mentions that they made "cream separators", and this looks as if it could have started life as a piece of dairy equipment. Now according to the advert it has descended to the status of "an interior statement". Ugh.

Edited by Athy

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

I suspect that Alan's research has yielded a clue: he mentions that they made "cream separators", and this looks as if it could have started life as a piece of dairy equipment. Now according to teh advert it has descended to the status of "an interior statement". Ugh.

The only interior statement I have heard recently was a surgeon commenting on my hernia, ugh indeed!

9 hours ago, Athy said:

Fascinating. What do you mean by "coopered"? - in the shape of a barrel? I wonder if it may have been a gift from the company to an employee.

I remember seeing, long ago and probably in these pages, a butcher's meat mincer with "Bolinder" cast into it, so you never know.

https://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/46224-i-bought-a-bolinder-used-it-twice/

They manufactured a good number of Park benches in the early 1950's as a teen I helped my Grandad lay the concrete slabs & put the benches together & bolt down in a garden of remembrance along side the church grave yard  & thefarm nearby had several pieces of agri kit including a implement for harvesting carrots

Edited by X Alan W

On 11/12/2017 at 14:07, bizzard said:

They'd get big bucks for it in Iran. They're bonkers on anything Lister. In Tehran there's a Mosque dedicated to R.A.Lister. All around the vwalls are pictures of of him and his engines. Most Iranians don't face Mecca , Medina when praying anymore, they now face roughly nor nor west towards Dudley:)

I think you meant Dursley.   :lol:    I have relatives that live in Dursley and can confirm that Listers made park benches etc.

Edited by Flyboy

On 12/11/2017 at 14:50, Athy said:

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

To Athy, coopered means being made using barrel making skills, by a cooper.

On 12/11/2017 at 14:07, bizzard said:

They'd get big bucks for it in Iran. They're bonkers on anything Lister. In Tehran there's a Mosque dedicated to R.A.Lister. All around the vwalls are pictures of of him and his engines. Most Iranians don't face Mecca , Medina when praying anymore, they now face roughly nor nor west towards Dudley.  :)

Dursley shurely?

Tim

On 13/12/2017 at 11:56, nebulae said:

I seem to remember that the R.A.Lister site in Dursley covered 75 acres and had its own railway branch.  Quite a lot about the factory on the web.

Yes, it was a massive site. I used to visit Listers at Dursley regularly in the early 70's. I worked for a british computer company, ICL, and at the time was supporting aerospace accounts. Both Listers and Petters had been part of the Hawker Siddeley empire for some years.

I can remember that Listers had a small museum (they did not call it that) with several items related to their agricultural coopering business.

My abiding memory of visits to Dursley was Lister Auto-Trucks -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lister_Auto-Truck

Surprisingly, for the 70's, R A Listers computer systems were fairly advanced.

A visit to Listers would often be followed by a visit to RAF Fairford as ICL manufactured the computer equipment for Concorde flight test.