Volt/Ammeter meter ?

W+T

Featured Posts

56 minutes ago, W+T said:

It is still set up as at first with the discharge readings as in above pics. Nothing has been altered in the wiring set up.

There is only one Neg connection on the battery and also not been changed from first go as setting up.

I have just popped out to see whats what and i altered all settings from low to high levels and still no change.

I did notice though that when i cut all power and turned it back on the LVP ( set to 10.8V ) kicked in when the reading is 11.4V . With that thought the DIS readings came back only to go off for the CHG to come back again.

The LVP and OCP do not work unless you have connected up the relay on the shunt and dont think you have looking at your pic.These need to be cleared and reset to zero. Your battery bank size needs to be set and when you are confident they are fully charged set to 100%..also the usb connector is not the best..I removed mine..im a numpty see you have removed usb..sorry

Edited by linnit
To add info

On 1/8/2018 at 18:51, linnit said:

The LVP and OCP do not work unless you have connected up the relay on the shunt and dont think you have looking at your pic.These need to be cleared and reset to zero. Your battery bank size needs to be set and when you are confident they are fully charged set to 100%..also the usb connector is not the best..I removed mine..im a numpty see you have removed usb..sorry

I have got the charger sorted now, i had to return the original as it was damaged on delivery. I will charge the battery and go from there then with resetting everything. 

Do you know if there is a re`bout button anywhere to resett everything,to make it easier maybe ?

On 1/8/2018 at 18:51, linnit said:

Back at faffing with this thing.

I charged the battery up to full and reset the battery settings to 100A and 100%. I dont know why but every time i go back into Battery setting the % drops to 34%. But shows 100% on the LED screen. 

This is before anything is turned on

tn_20180113_160147.jpg.a33a7c33301e9735d5da0274f2c910c5.jpg

And with allthe lights and fan on the Propwex turned on.

tn_20180113_160242.jpg.341b4a17974a56e9f9c875f562988488.jpg

What i found out is that the OVP works. And i would guess the LVP does aswell, i didnt check that as i got fed up of it by then. 

I set the OVP to 13.5V and turned on the charger and when the power went above that it turned off. 

I left all power on for over 30mins and the battery V didnt drop below 100%

So, why does it show - and does CHG mean when nothing is drawing power ?

And when things are turned on it goes into DIS ?

Does all that sound ok then ? 

And which readings tell me what is being used and what is left in the battery ?

Cheers

Wayne :)

24 minutes ago, W+T said:

Back at faffing with this thing.

I charged the battery up to full and reset the battery settings to 100A and 100%. I dont know why but every time i go back into Battery setting the % drops to 34%. But shows 100% on the LED screen. 

This is before anything is turned on

tn_20180113_160147.jpg.a33a7c33301e9735d5da0274f2c910c5.jpg

And with allthe lights and fan on the Propwex turned on.

tn_20180113_160242.jpg.341b4a17974a56e9f9c875f562988488.jpg

What i found out is that the OVP works. And i would guess the LVP does aswell, i didnt check that as i got fed up of it by then. 

I set the OVP to 13.5V and turned on the charger and when the power went above that it turned off. 

I left all power on for over 30mins and the battery V didnt drop below 100%

So, why does it show - and does CHG mean when nothing is drawing power ?

And when things are turned on it goes into DIS ?

Does all that sound ok then ? 

And which readings tell me what is being used and what is left in the battery ?

Cheers

1st pic is showing you are charging and if you have set batt amh correctly it is fully charged.

2nd pic shows something is drawing 0.2amps

Amh counter will go to a positive number as you draw from batteries.this will indicate your usage and % will drop also.

Join the 12v boating group there are some experienced chaps on there to help

6 minutes ago, linnit said:

1st pic is showing you are charging and if you have set batt amh correctly it is fully charged.

2nd pic shows something is drawing 0.2amps

Amh counter will go to a positive number as you draw from batteries.this will indicate your usage and % will drop also.

Is that a face book group ?

Done  a search on there and no group comes back of that name.

3 minutes ago, W+T said:

Is that a face book group ?

Done  a search on there and no group comes back of that name.

If you only have 1 x100amh battery then 1st pic charge current should be about 1amp to be fully charged.

Sorry ..yes a fb group but informative chaps on there

• Greenie 1

Just joined, thanks detling for the link, just will not show on a search for it on FB.

4 minutes ago, linnit said:

If you only have 1 x100amh battery then 1st pic charge current should be about 1amp to be fully charged.

Sorry ..yes a fb group but informative chaps on there

I am saying it is fully charged as that is what the charger is saying as it goes into float charge and green charged light shows.

Battery could be goosed ?

The CHG shows even with no charger connected aswell.

I will look through the 12v group and see what they say aswell  ;)

2 hours ago, linnit said:

But if you don’t agree with the owner and his oppo you won’t get far. 

I lasted 3 days. 

Ok all sorted now, i just got home after calibrated it last night and giving it a full charge over night to make sure the battery is fully charged.

It is spot on now, i checked the Amp and Volts been drawn off and exact on Cabin lights at 12watt/1amp as stated in the specs and the rest are a little higher but only by 0.1amp, lol cant complain can I.

It could be the lights them selves but nothing to worry about as the Propex draws 1.6amp as stated aswell.  

The only thing that does not show is the Galley light which has  adraw of 3watt/0.25 amp so i guess a little low to show a reading.

What i need to do now is work on the Ah left/used etc

Pritty chuffed now :) well worth the £22 ;)

On 12/10/2017 at 09:19, W+T said:

I am looking at Volt/Ammeter meters for the cruiser and have come by these.

The last one seems a lot better as to what you get as you get a lot more info on the batteries.

I will be running two 12v 110amp batteries.

I would fit one of these for each battery 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-100V-10A-50A-100A-Voltmeter-Ammeter-LED-Amp-Dual-Digital-Volt-Meter-Gauge-O1/182779882112?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=690093757393&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Or one of these for the two batteries.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAC1300A-Multifunction-Wireless-Bi-directional-Ammeter-Capacity-Volt-Watt-Meter/322668807153?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I would prefer though to have a meter for each battery so i can see how each one is doing.

So opinions on these please.

Also open to other meters that are available. Not wanting to go and spend a fortune though.

Cheers

I have the top one on the bathtub Wayne works ok shows me that at cruise the bathtub uses 20 amps and at full power 87 amps big difference or what? 20 amps = 2.8 mph 87 amps = 6 mph strange but true

34 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have the top one on the bathtub Wayne works ok shows me that at cruise the bathtub uses 20 amps and at full power 87 amps big difference or what? 20 amps = 2.8 mph 87 amps = 6 mph strange but true

I don’t find that strange. I’d guess that 7mph would be well over 100A. 

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Its at 24volts and the boat is a 32 x 12 broads cruiser admittedly its still to be fitted out

Yes, but the power required to shift a boat (or anything else really) isn’t linear with speed. 

21 hours ago, peterboat said:

That was the one i first found when mooching around for one but then i spotted the other one that i have now fitted, works great aswell. 

It sounds like a car with a hairdrier engine, can poodle along nice and good on fuel but then boot it and it uses fuel for the fun of it.  Maybe try a different prop to see if it gives better amps per mph ?

5 minutes ago, W+T said:

That was the one i first found when mooching around for one but then i spotted the other one that i have now fitted, works great aswell. 

It sounds like a car with a hairdrier engine, can poodle along nice and good on fuel but then boot it and it uses fuel for the fun of it.  Maybe try a different prop to see if it gives better amps per mph ?

No I think its about right it didnt go much faster with the 1500 BMC in it si I cant complain and 20 amps at relaxed cruising is good

Just now, peterboat said:

No I think its about right it didnt go much faster with the 1500 BMC in it si I cant complain and 20 amps at relaxed cruising is good

If your happy it must be ok as i dont have a clue, the 87amps just sounded a lot to me but then i dont have much clue on these things.

Fair old tub anyway to push along at 6knots. 

I still need to pop over some time dont i after you did invite me AGES ago. Just wish i had more than 24hrs in a day. 

30 minutes ago, W+T said:

If your happy it must be ok as i dont have a clue, the 87amps just sounded a lot to me but then i dont have much clue on these things.

Fair old tub anyway to push along at 6knots. 

I still need to pop over some time dont i after you did invite me AGES ago. Just wish i had more than 24hrs in a day. 

I have 35 amps at 24 volts with the whispergen as an emergency charger, under normal summer cruising I am hoping that the solar panels will supply all my needs including the immersion heater, and in the winter a mixture of both should do the trick

Edited by peterboat

• 8 months later...
42 minutes ago, NealTaber said:

Hello... the shunts, available in higher currents than 100 amps, go in the negative and have no protection. The instructions suggest that they are fitted with a 12 volt  voltage regulator in the power supply line to get steady readings.

Whatever are you talking about kind sir?