River class butty 'Yeo'

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Richard T said:

I'm glad to see that you are restoring a 1970s hire boat.

There are I think, more than one hire company still operating  some 1970s hire boats.

Although I think Wyvern Shipping may now finally have got rid of its last "wooden top".

• 5 years later...
On 06/12/2017 at 17:10, sparrowcycles said:

Hi there folks,

Apologies for being another person looking for information/ history on their new purchase but I have just bought a River class butty by the name of Yeo.
 I know these dustbin boats arent the most revered of all historic craft (in fact, being younger than 1948 they dont even qualify for historic license discount) but im hoping to do right by this boat and put her back to working trim, albeit with a bit of an 'under bluetops' conversion.

If anyone has any information or photos of this boat I would be really grateful as there seems very little online that I can find so far.

She seems to have had some extensive work in the past (im guessing in the late 80s) including a nice mahogany and oak cabin extension and having a perkins 4108 with hydraulic drive fitted. If it were at all possible to find out who did the engine install I would be blown away, the system works right now but I would eventually like to move the engine, rebuild the stern to its original butty shape and reconfigure the system into the rudder in the same way as Hampton has so finding that original engineer would save alot of guesswork and research about the old system.

Secondly, im hoping to use the hydraulic system to power a generator and also two rams which will raise and lower the bluetops to offer headroom below when in use but can be lowered when travelling or wanting to look trad when other older boats are around :)  Has anyone fitted extra systems like these to their hydraulic drive? Id love to chat if so!

Thanks everyone..

I have just bought a narrowboat with the name Yeo we are looking for history on, we were interested to read your story. I am not familiar with your reference to blue tops? 

1 minute ago, Veronica S said:

I have just bought a narrowboat with the name Yeo we are looking for history on, we were interested to read your story. I am not familiar with your reference to blue tops? 

Welcome to the forum. There are at least three boats called Yeo, according to Canalplan. Do you have an index number for yours?

This is the Yeo from the thread. The blue tops mentioned are the fibreglass hold covers, a modern for the time update on traditional tarpaulin covers.

https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/3579/yeo